Thread: #&%@# Swirls!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve assessed how the WRX fared its first full New England winter as a daily driver. I`d applied Z-1 and three coats of Z-2 in November and the vehicle still fairly glistens - very pleased with that. I`m less pleased with the amount of swirls I`ve picked-up. The vehicle was hand washed nearly every week until this last month where weekend weather prevented any washing at all. My washing routine involves two wash buckets, Gold Medallion Shampoo, Viking 100% cotton mitts and a Wizard Water Bandit/MF towel.

The vehicle is badly swirled and my hope is that this is in the Z-2 and not the finish. I have thought about what causes this situation and I have to lay almost 100% of it to the wash routine - I just don`t believe drying (or applying wax or sealant) is materially responsible. I do suspect that claying would be the second most likely culprit.

When we apply soapy mitt to a wetted surface, what happens? Is the soiling (grit) somehow enveloped in the mitt`s material where it stays until rinsed? No, its dragged along against the finish until we rinse the mitt. Claying? Pretty much the same deal. The clay rips contaminants (more grit) out of the finish which now stick to the working surface of the clay (no enveloping here either, IMHO) as we rake that clay/grit mix over the finish (until we knead the grit away from the working surface).

I`d like to hear opposing opinions on the matter but please, no voodoo science or urban legend about the physics-defying qualities of 100% cotton mitts or automotive clays to safely whisk grit away from the vehicle surface. Thanks
    Bill Belichick for President - Romeo Crennel for Secretary of Defense!

1999 Mercedes Benz ML-320 (Mercedes price, Chrysler quality!)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX (STi on order)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really a no brainer (not to upset you, not my intention). I just got done doing my spring detail on my very low use 330i. After the Pacific Northwest winter, which is more mild then your`s you should see the swirls or micro-scratches that are present.

This is where you need to figure out what to do. Do you wash the car with Zaino car wash and take a good close look, or do you strip the coating and start fresh?

May I suggest doing a good once over with a clean new mitt. Then find a good place to really look at the car and use a magnifing glass to look at how deep the swirls are.

If you can`t feel them with your nail on your finger, your doing good. I would suggest using 3M SMR for either light or dark paint and getting yourself at a minimum a Porter Cable orbital and the correct pads for each of the steps you`ll need to do.

The SMR will cut away the Zaino and leave a fresh surface for the new coat to bond to. I would work on section at a time and use front to back movments on each side panel of the car. You may have to work each panel two or three times depending on how the progress is going.

After you`ve worked out the sides of the car, work the hood and trunk lid and move to the roof. My reason for this approach is this; you`ll get a good feel on a quater panel and it`s a bit safer then working the hood first. You`ll gauge how much pressure to use with the product and pad combination and by the time you get to the hood of the car, you`ll be confident and feel good about your technique.

Claying your car can scratch it or swirl it, but scratching is more likely to happen if you get sand or grit in the clay. I don`t use mitts due to the swirls they tend to put into the finish. I use micro-fiber towels to do my wash (some strongly disagree and they can use what they want on they`re cars).

Just sounds like spring cleaning is in order for your baby. If after you do a SMR treatment to your finish, you`ll need to do a nice hand polish and you should then be ready for your Zaino and another six to eight months of driving a great looking car.

If you`d like, you can do a private email to me and I`ll call you and talk with you on the phone. I have a detailing business that is in full swing and this is the major issue I`m seeing at this time.

THE DREADED SWIRL!

Thread Information