Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all. Quick question. I have heard the opinion that polymer based sealants or protectants are not good for your paint job because they bond so tightly, and create such a hard cover that they do not allow the paint to expand and contract or to `breathe` properly. Is there any truth to this? If it is not true I am not sure why everyone would not choose a sealant over a wax, or just use a wax over the polymer sealant. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
    Kelly Rudnick
    kellyrudnick@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The paint "breathing" idea is just a myth. Paint is not a living organism nor does it need "essential` oils to keep it healthy.

Here`s some info on one sealant, Zaino, and it`s ability to interact with paint and metal:
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Zaino is a complex synthetic "polymeric system". These polymers are lab-produced, hydrocarbon-based, string-like molecules, which are capable of cross linking or bonding together to produce a (microscopic) flexible chain-link fence type of weave. When applied to your car`s clear coat, the Zaino polymers
    produce a perfectly clear yet flexible layer of protection.

This layer is very thin, but (because it is flexible) can expand and contract along with your car`s sheet metal. Any and all Carnauba or other wax based products when exposed to repeated expansion and contraction (ie: heat of the day and engine heat) will develop tiny `cracks` which grow, allowing the oils to leach out, and permit dirt to stick to the surface. This cycling effect also makes the wax system become unstable, decreasing gloss, water beading and paint protection.. This will not happen with the Zaino polymers...</blockquote>
    Today`s paints cure within days, not months or years.... It`s completely safe to apply Zaino over 1 week old fresh paint, but the same can`t be said for carnauba or other polishes.

I don`t know if the same effect applies to other sealants since the majority of my experience is with Zaino in the sealant category.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike.

I think between your answer and some help I received from another board I now believe it is a misconception. This board in general seems rather unhelpful - but I do appreciate your response.

Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

This board in general seems rather unhelpful</blockquote>

Mike responded with accurate information in a timely manner, what more do you want?
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I greatly appreciated Mike`s response and it was extremely helpful. I just like to get a <strong class=`bbc`>variety[/b] of opinions to base my decisions on when dealing with topics that I am a novice in. Mike`s answer seems to be on target with the other replies that I received. My comment regarding the board was because I thought I would get some supporting comments or differing opinions. No offense meant.
    Thanks Again Mike.
    Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike is right on! There is little more to say on the topic..........and those are the facts.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is it you are waiting for? If everyone is telling you the same thing then why can`t you just go with it? If I ask 5 people and they all tell me I need sugar in my Kool Aid then I`m not going to wait till I get 500 people that tell me that before I follow their advice. Sometimes you need to do a search to find the other opinions on the board. Its easier than having everyone write their opinions everytime a topic comes up. No offence or anything, but it might help in this case. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey dude,

Mike was so on target that no other responses were necessary. If you hang around long enough will you come to appreciate not only factual responses like Metallic Mike`s but also the wealth of information and experience that this forum participants have.

Also true with this and other forums the "search" function is very helpful in reviewing old to us but new to you topics.

This is not a flame but I greatly did not appreciate your comment.

"This board in general seems rather unhelpful - but I do appreciate your response."

We are somewhat a family here. I can talk about my brother or sister but don`t let a strange defame them....

With this said let`s restart this relationship. Write what you mean and mean what you write.

Thread Information