Post Thanks / Like
    What are your favorite buffing pads to use with your PC or rotary buffers? I have experience with the PC pad kit, but how do the Meguiar`s pads compare?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the Meguiars W8006 pads and they are a good all round pad. I will be testing Lake & Country (CMA sells then) in the next fews days. They have a new DA pad which has a stronger felt backing plate. A common porblem is the felt backing comes off after using the pads several times. The new pad from Lake & Country is much stronger - at least it looks and feels that way.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    For my PC is use the Lake Country VC foam pads. For my DeWalt Rotary I use the 3M Foam Waffle pads. I also have a selection of wool pads for each machine.
    Taking my signature to it`s MAXIMUM POTENTIAL

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on purchasing a Dewalt rotary buffer soon. I was at my local paint supply shop today, and was looking at their selection r pads. They carried some Meguiar`s "softbuff" pads, and the 3M waffle pads. I will only be using a buffer to remove swirl marks, so I guess I will only need a cutting pad. I know that Meguiar`s has a black cutting pad, but what does 3M have for a cutting pad, and what pad works best with the Dewalt for removing swirls?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not familliar with Meguiars "Black" cutting pad..I use there
    marron pad for cutting. Do you have a picture?
    http://www.meguiars.com/product_show...ne=PT&SrcCat=0

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need a lot more than just a cutting pad. A cutting pad with a rotary will put a good amount of swirls and wheel marks in a finish and is in no way ment for final polishing. You will also need a good selection of polishing pads for "burnishing". A 100% Lambswool pad is also good to have on hand.

Don`t automatically assume you need a cutting pad. With a rotary ALWAYS start with the mildest abrasive and least agressive pad first. Also, if you have never used a rotary before you will need lots of practice before you use it on a car. There is much more to buffing with a rotary than just pad selection, such as angles, speeds, buffing patterns etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC and have lots of experience using it. I have used other professional rotary buffers before like Black and Decker, and Makita.

So far, I plan on getting the Meguiar`s cutting, polishing, and finishing pads. What about the 3M waffle pad I hear about?

I thought that lambswool pads are far too abrasive for today`s modern clearcoat paints??

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

I thought that lambswool pads are far too abrasive for today`s modern clearcoat paints??</blockquote>

No. You want a 100% genuine leather backed Lambswool pad, they are somewhat difficult to find. Don`t use synthetics.

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

What about the 3M waffle pad I hear about?</blockquote>
    I prefer them to any other rotary buffer pad, much less micro-marring than a "flat" pad.

You must be aware of heat concernes when using a foam cutting pad, the paint temp must not exceed 115 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Showroom -

Those waffle pads, what do you use them for and can you give me an example where they would be useful? Currently I am using the yellow, white and black pads I got with my CMA kit and they seem to do the job fine but I have always had questions about these waffle pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe

I use the waffle pads on rotary buffers only. I like them because they produce much less micro-marring than the regular "flat" rotary pads. Also with the peaks and low points of the waffle pattern the pads disperses heat much better than the normal pads. I use them mainly for swirl removal and final polishing with my DeWalt rotary.

I also have a set of the pads that you have, but I only use them on my PC. CMA does sell larger ones for rotary buffers, but they are horrible for use on rotary buffers. The pads are variable contact, which means you need to apply a good amount of pressure to get the pad to "bottom out". Applying pressure with a rotary is a big no no. If you use them on a rotary without any pressue they leave too many swirls for my liking. There are much better pads for rotarys available. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow, thanks for that tidbit, I would of never known and would of went straight to the CMA pads. BTW I plan to get a polisher, I`m going pro here people, got a job lined up for next weekend (125.00) and hopefully I can set up an indoor job this weekend (it may rain) for another 125.00. Got a Mustang lined up and he "said" he has friends that want me to detail their cars.

Do you need to use more product on the waffle pads since they are not smooth? Seems like the product on the waffle pad may soak into one of the cracks or dent shapes that wouldn`t touch the cars surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will use a little bit more product, but not a ton more. Part of it`s due to the fact that you are using bigger pads. When using a rotary make sure to cover the areas you are not working on because there will be a good amount of splatter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, sounds good. Hopefully I have the commerical products, polisher and shopvac in 30 days. If I can get a car every weekend thats 500.00

Thread Information