Post Thanks / Like
    (...my first post- how exciting!)

I am new to detailing- I have washed and waxed my car for decades, but never knew about polish, clay etc until I discovered this fab web page!

I have been waiting for AutoZone to start selling ClayMagic, which many posters recommend, but my local store does not yet have it. But they DID have a box of Meguiar`s clay w/ a bottle of Quick Detailer for only $3.99.

I`m a sucker for a bargain, so I bought it, but no one has ever posted anything good about Meguiar`s clay!

Even at $4, did I STILL get ripped off? Doesn`t this stuff have ANY redeeming values? After reading all the negative posts, I am afraid to use it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t be afraid to use it. It still does the job it was designed to do. It just takes a little bit more work than some other clays. It breaks up sooner and streaks more. If you just want to use it on one car, and you are ok with washing the car afterwards, then you got a good deal. :up
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    $4 for body clay is a screaming deal. Just take care when using it. When you`ve used it up try another brand of clay to compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am fairly happy with mine only if i use it before machine buffing, because then it takes care of all the residue.

and i found out that it smudgea way less after about 2 panels, when it gets softer.

but i won`t buy it again, ok maybe 2 clays, 1 for before machine, 1 for random stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    And it will go smoothly. I`ve done 7 cars with my Meg`s clay bar.

E

Post Thanks / Like
    My local Auto Zone does not carry Clay Magic either. Sometimes I can find it at Pep Boys. When I can`t I order directly from the manufacturer at Clay-Magic. They sell the complete kit on line for $19.95 and also have the pad for the PC like Griot`s sells (which I`ve never tried).
    1999 Black Corvette Coupe

1993 Ruby Red Corvette Conv

2003 50th Anniv Corvette Conv

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an old post, but since you were all nice enough to answer me, I thought I would follow up with my experiences using that Meguiar`s clay I picked up for $4:

I did get a couple of streaks, that were hard to remove, but as tomciob said, once it softened up it stopped streaking.

But then it got TOO soft, and was sticking to my hands like used chewing gum! I had to use Comet cleanser to remove it!

Maybe that was a function of heat- once I started using the stuff in the evenings, it worked better. I`m glad I broke off a piece to use rather than use the whole bar- the piece I am using is starting to become "spongy/gummy" and swelling up, as if it was asorbing moisture. I guess the end is near.

It sure is a neat feeling to glide it over the surface of my car a few times and feel the resistance gradually fade as it eats up all the contaminants! My car is 10 years old (I`ve had it for 5 years) and I`ll bet it was NEVER clayed before. The residue coming off my car and onto the clay was a brown color- just amazing how clay can remove all that while washes and cleaner-waxes can`t.

So, kinda like your first kiss, it sure was a vivid experience, and I can only imagine how much better it gets once I try Clay Magic, if only my local AutoZone will start stocking it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I found Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System at Advanced Auto Parts for $14.99. It includes: one 80 g clar bar, one 16 oz. bottle of Showtime Instant Detailer and one 4 oz. bottle of Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

2001 Silver/Red S2000

My S2000 Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ALS2000

I found Mothers California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System at Advanced Auto Parts for $14.99. It includes: one 80 g clar bar, one 16 oz. bottle of Showtime Instant Detailer and one 4 oz. bottle of Carnauba Cleaner Wax.

Wow!! Now that is a smooth S2K! What do you use on it?
    Keeping Texas clean one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks....

My brother-in-law`s brother works in the auto racing field and told me what they use on their race cars: it is called Super Glaze. It is a liquid natural carnauba wax made by The Wax Shop......you can get it at Pep Boys.

More of my S2000 photos on My S2000 web site...click on www below...

2001 Silver/Red S2000

My S2000 Website

Thread Information