Thread: Winter salt

Post Thanks / Like
    If you drive where they used salt to melt the ice and snow on the roads, do you ever rinse off the radiator and a/c condenser during winter washes.

There has to be a alot of salt from other vehicles in front of you,pass thru your radiator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never done this during a winter wash, and actually don`t recall ever doing either of those things at all. I think I may have rinsed a radiator once, but it sounds like a good idea to me. As far as the A/C comp. is concerned, I don`t even know where mine is. Maybe a few more Autopians can chirp in here.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve rinsed the radiator a couple of times in my Blazer after going through some really nasty crap - although radiators are tough cookies. If they can withstand the corrosion they have going on within, you`re probably OK.

As far as the AC compressor - in my vehicles, tossing some water on the engine isn`t a casual affair - thanks to the complex wiring and electronics under the hood, I`d rather not throw water unless I really take my time and cover everything up. You`re probably better off with the occasional engine cleaning rather than the periodic washing off of salt and grime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes if my radiator is very dirty, or caked with salt I will carefully rinse it off.

Normally I mix some water & car wash soap in a spray bottle and lightly spray the area. Then follow up with a light rinse with the hose. It has worked very well so far in removing salt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always after each snowfall and beginning of seasons have my car lift-washed. You know, where they lift your car on a hydraulic lift and spray the undercarriage with pressurised hot water...

Also, did you ever check out those water repellant sprays (not the crap sold on tv-markets but industrial types sold at electric stores) I dress my vital electric parts with that spray and simply go steaming my engine at my local garage. (Hehhe bribed the techs to let me use it )

And I suggest you spray FROM INSIDE TOWARDS OUTSIDE as you will see that you have a heck of stuff flying out of your radiator !!

Take care..!

Thread Information