Post Thanks / Like
    Well, just now got home from visiting my local NAPA superstore and it was quite interesting. I was purchasing some Meguiar`s Swirl Remover 2.0 when I asked the guy if they carried 3M polishes (SMR and Rubbing Compound). Sure enough, they did, but they were on another display away from the other car care goodies. So, another young worker comes over noticing I`m reading the bottle of SMR, and asks if I`ve ever used ZAINO? COOL! We got into a nice conversation about how well it works and what kind of cars it was used on and everything. I was just shocked, because this is the first time I`ve ever heard of anyone actually using Zaino in a parts store. Well, it was just cool to meet a total stranger that`s using Zaino too, that`s all. Most people look at you funny when you mention the Z word on the streets.

The older man who sold me the Megs 2.0 came over to join in and was telling me something really odd. He said go the grocery store and buy corn starch to use on the paint for the "show winning" treatment. He was telling me how people at big car shows use corn starch before the show for extra shine. To me, this sounds ridiculous! I don`t think I`ll use any corn starch on my car anytime soon. :scared

Just thought I`d share....

MM

Post Thanks / Like
    About a year ago I got some hose burn. [you know when you

whip your hose and it strikes your finish like a rattle snake]

Well I was chatting with John Hermann of One Grand and I

told him about the hose scratchings. He said to take a little

corn starch and mix it with his Omega glaze. It makes a

beautiful scratch remover.

So maybe there is something to this Corn Starch thing.

Wax

Post Thanks / Like
    not that I would not... venier city at my place

Paco

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago some autobody shops used to use corn starch as a polishing compound. Obviously the thinner the paste the easier on the finish. At one time readily available "rubbing compounds" were harsh with little available as "polishing compounds".

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew some old timer that used to wash his cars with a mixture of kerosene and water. no joke!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used corn starch to buff out a new custom paint job. Kinda an "old skool" thing but it does work. Don`t know how effective it would be on a modern clearcoat paint job.

Post Thanks / Like
    :scared Whoa, kerosene and water? Talk about being behind the times. That`s scary stuff!

Thanks for the info guys. I never knew about this trick, so it seems a bit radical to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    how many products contain kerosene or stronger. Bug and tar removers contain kerosene, and some synthetic polishes on the market do too (you gotta have a good nose!). Great cleaning ability, and what a shine!

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah, I watched him schmear it all over an old mercedes 250SL that he had completely restored himself. I thought it looked lousy. it smeared like crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it`s an old school tale, but I seem to remember that WD40 was 73% White Kerosene. Lots of folks use WD40 to take off tar and bug residue, and old adhesive from decals and stickers.

Could it also be odorless mineral spirits? Anyway it works, I just wouldn`t use WD 40 to wipe down my whole car. I,m still not completely sure what is safe and what is not for the finish of my car. Of course none of the kytones, acetone, trichlor. etc. I would venture is NG. But mineral spirits, spot cleanup with kerosene, vaselene, vegetable oil, hair tonic, pizza sauce, I`m just not sure.

Maybe I should practice on a neighbors car when I get home from work at midnight. Anybody want to try some of this stuff on their beater car???? Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure why all the Napa stores in my area don`t display many of the 3M polishes. They`re always hidden in the back and customers wouldn`t even have a chance to see them if they didn`t ask for them. Laters

Thread Information