Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading a car forum and the issue of tire dressings came up. One guy said that tire dressings are generally bad for tires, that most contain oil, and that they degrade the tire and cause it to lose it`s properties and weaken. He said something about hearing that Dunlop (in their warranty) to not use tire dressing on their tires. Is there any validity to these statements?

Thanks,

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a search on this topic and you will find all of the answers. Some people say yes overtime certain silicones will. Others say by the time it does damage the tire will no longer have any tread anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some are better than others. The water based ones are probably the best for UV protection etc. They being 303, vinylex, Zaino brand Autoint brand. They all use PDMS as the priamry protectant which is not like the old silicone crap in the old Armour All.

DO a search on here and read all the threads. There must be a 100 on the subject. Also the Carport detail section has some good info as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    GuessMyName is correct! I really wouldn` worry about the water based protectants at all. I would use 303, Vinylex and the Zaino tire polish with no worries. Laters

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by negreenfield [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>He said something about hearing that Dunlop (in their warranty) to not use tire dressing on their tires. [/b]</blockquote>I have heard this vaguely mentioned also. As the others have said, I wouldn`t worry about this too much. Stick with quality and you will be fine, remember tire prep is just as important as what you use. Make sure to clean tires before using a dressing.
    Jorge
    00 BMW 328CI

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what Dunlop states

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<strong class=`bbc`>DO NOT APPLY SIDEWALL DRESSINGS/CLEANERS. Dunlop sidewalls are specially compounded to resist ozone cracking or weather checking. We instruct our service personnel and customers never to apply any other material to enhance sidewall appearance and these may degrade rubber and remove inherent ozone resistance.[/b]</blockquote>

Not sure if the use of dressings voids their warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, what is the "preferred" method of cleaning the tires before dressing? I just use a good stiff brush with the left over soap from washing the rest of the car. Should I be using something harsher to get a deeper clean? I read some other thread where someone mentioned using Soft Scrub, but am leery of trying something which rubs away bits of rubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stick with wash soap for the wheel and tires. However, every few months or so I`ll break out the wheel cleaner and tire cleaner and deep clean them both. For tires I like Eagle One Tire Cleaner, and a lot of folks around here also use EF High Intensity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically, some are and some aren`t bad.

Good kinds are PDMS resins such as 303 Aerospace, Zaino Z-16, Nu-Vinyl, Armor-All, and Nu-Vinyl. The bad ones are the dimenthyl silicone greasy kinds which are loaded with petroleum distillates and damage your tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hehe! I`m still not used to hearing that Armor All makes a good tire dressing. Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two things:

Armor-All - their new dressing is safe, correct? I`ve heard this here and there... What is their new dressing called?

Meguiar`s Endurance: This is a safe dressing, correct? I`ve noticed slight browning of tires after I use this dressing, but ONLY on neglected tires. After the Endurance wears off, they seem a little browner to me. This may just be me, and the fact that Endurance makes them look great at first... it usually lasts quite a while too.

Josiah

Thread Information