Post Thanks / Like
    I just got the PC 7336SP from Lowe`s yesterday and I ordered the accessory kit from CMA. I remember reading in an earlier post that I would need to purchase a counterweight. When I was looking at the PC, it appears to me to already have a counterweight installed?? Is there a different one that I`m supposed to buy?

Just curious....
    2002 VW GTI 337 Edition

"Saturday nights we get together behind the Dairy Twist and check out cars. Maybe you`d like to come?"

Post Thanks / Like
    The 7336 already has the correct counterweight. Once you get your pads you are ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    not necessarily true. You`ll need to use a 6" counter-weight if you`re using 6" pads & backing plate. I believe that the unit comes standard with a 5.5" counter-weight.

At slower RPM`s you will feel a slight vibration, but at higher speeds it will get much worse. You don`t want that to happen as you`ll void the warranty.

The size of the counter-weight should be marked on the weight itself. You may need to remove it to see.

Did Lowe`s include a case and accessories with the 7336 that you got? Or just the unit itself?

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC 7336 does come with the 6" counterweight. It is PC`s 6" PO Sander. You can find more info on the 7424, 7336, and 7335 here:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...efe+1007794628

The 7336 from Lowes did not come with a case only the 6" backing plate, some sand paper, and a wrench for changing the backing plate. The case was not worth spending an additional 50-60 bucks to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The counterweight will have the words cast into the weight itself. On my 7424 it says, "USE 5 INCH PADS ONLY". I`m gonna guess the 6" counterweight will refer to 6 inch pads only.

Remove the backing plate and make sure. JIMWH is 100% correct about the vibration and the warranty.

FWIW, my 7424 from Coastal Tool did not come with a case. It came with the machine, a 5" white pad, the wrench, a little spacer, and the usual paperwork.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The difference in weight between 5" and 6" foam pads has to be pretty negligible. I think the difference is more in the weight of the backing plate. My velcro backing plate is 5" (Actually 4 7/8") and the counterweight says "use 5 in pads". I think they are really talking about the backing plate here - not the buffing pad. If this were being used as a sander, for example, the size of the sandpaper would match the pad exactly and its additional weight would be even more negligible.

I am using standard 6" foam pads with a 5" backing plate (and this is how the unit was delviered to me). Seems to be fine. You have to expect some vibration! Is there even such a thing as 5" foam pads? I`ve never seen them.

So are you guys who are using the `for 6" ` counterweight using 6" velcro pad with 6" foam pads? Or are you using 5" velcro pad with 6" foam pads? In each case, which weight provides for the least vibration? (Please - I`d really not like speculation here - if you have USED BOTH please answer.)

Also, don`t you have trouble safely using the pad edges when the diameter of the backing plate equals that of the pad? (I.e., working up to a concave curve.)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by jimwh [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>not necessarily true. You`ll need to use a 6" counter-weight if you`re using 6" pads & backing plate. I believe that the unit comes standard with a 5.5" counter-weight.

At slower RPM`s you will feel a slight vibration, but at higher speeds it will get much worse. You don`t want that to happen as you`ll void the warranty.

The size of the counter-weight should be marked on the weight itself. You may need to remove it to see.

Did Lowe`s include a case and accessories with the 7336 that you got? Or just the unit itself? [/b]</blockquote>
    It depends on how much the back up pad weighs.

The unit Griot`s Garage sells is the Porter Cable 7336, and the according to the Griot`s rep, the box says "Orbital Sander". The backup pad is a 6 inch rubber and metal design (the pad is Porter Cable part number 18001).

The CMA supplied hook & loop back up pad is plastic and rubber and is similar to the pad that Meguiars has on their private-labled Porter Cable polisher. If you ask Meguiars what`s the difference between their unit and the Griot`s unit, they`ll tell you "We have a 5" counter weight". Again, the difference between the two units is the composition and weight of the back-up pads.

Porter Cable`s rubber & metal design five inch back up pad is part number 15001.

Both Griot`s and Meguiar`s pads are the same size, yet Meguiar`s lists theirs as 6-1/2 inches, and Griots and everyone else, including CMA say 6 inches.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m planning on buying the 7424 from coastaltool and the CMA accessory kit which includes the velcro backplate ($59.95 kit).

From what i can tell, the 7424 from coastaltool includes a 5" white pad.. what about the CMA acc kit? 6" pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    where can you purchase a 6" counter weight for the porter cable?

santa`s bringing me one from coastal and it sounds like i`ll need to pick up the 6" counter....
    Clean 2013 X1

Post Thanks / Like
    tmchow - I did exactly the same thing and you are correct about the PC from Coastal and the CMA kit.

roadk - Call Santa on his cell or AIM him. Have him pick up a 6" counterweight from Coastal. My little elf ain`t too smart and he forgot to order the counterweight when he brought me my PC. I made the twerp go back to Coastal and fix the problem.
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok i`m a little slow tonight. Last night I ordered the 7424 from Costal and the pad kit from CMA. So do I get the right counterweight with what I ordered or do I need to order one separate?

Thread Information