Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who dont know, I`m the guy who has bemoaned my previous futile detailing projects. My Honda Prelude is black and was riddled with swirls. Yesterday I spend about four hours with 3M SMR being applied by machine (I broke down and bought one) and putting a coat of 3M Perfect It paste wax by hand. After I was done I expected to be disappointed as usual but this time was different. 97% of the swirls were actually.....gone. I almost fainted. Finally I`ve gotten the results I`ve worked so hard for. After I inspected the finish under the harsh lights of the local gas station I could see very very very few swirls. Almost undetectable. I`ll work on those after it warms up. Thanks to all those (particularly Brad B.) who offered so much help! Now I`m off to order the softest wash mitts and towels known to man to help keep my finish swirl free.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have another convert! :p Congrats on the great job and be sure to post before/after pics when you can! As far as buying things goes...it never ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    way to go! It CAN be done! Congratulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats awesome Zoomin. This is what this site is about helping people with swirls and other detailing problems and sharing knowledge.

A long distance slap on the back for a job well done!:bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone! Without this forum and all of you, I`d be relegated to just complaining after every detail. I`m going to go out and QD it real quick and take some photos. The sun seems just about right this morning for some great pics! Finally, what is the link for where you guys buy all those microfiber towels and supplies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bunches of places to buy supplies.

Try CMA, TASCAR, Yosteve, Topofline to name a few.

Search supplies and see whatcomes up.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by ZoominLude [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>97% of the swirls were actually.....gone. I almost fainted. Finally I`ve gotten the results I`ve worked so hard for. [/b]</blockquote>
    lol, lmao, yeah, the guys at work look at me when I laugh at the computer for no reason.

That`s very cool indeed, no you can stick around and help others along with your new found knowledge and experience. Good show.

Pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont have a digital camera so I`m going to have to wait until I get my 35mm pics developed and scanned. Anyone want to donate a digital camera to me for Christmas?

Post Thanks / Like
    awsome! one question though, did u get a Porter Cable or somthing else?

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the PC polisher from properautocar.com for $169.00. It was fairly easy to use but I made sure I was very careful and methodical.

Post Thanks / Like
    So Zoom now that you removed your swirls you wont be needing that PC anymore do you wanna sell it???

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could think that my paint will remain swirl free forever to sell it. Plus it seems like an invaluable tool to apply polish/glazes and sealants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prelude man -

Took my months and months and months of detailing every week to get some "offical results". Feels good, made me think I can runa round charge people whatever I want because I KNOW I can do the job better than expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    dont buy good towels....you just learned how to get swirls out...if you use good towels ...no more swirls...get some towels from the local car wash...they sell em...20 for $1....then youll get lots more practice with your new machine.....come`on dood...use a brillo pad to Qd...who cares...your da man now dood.... :p good job dood...seriously...

Post Thanks / Like
    I started coming to this forum right after I got my bimmer. I did all of the protection stuff right from the start. When I look at the hood/roof/trunk, there are virtually zero swirls that I can detect in any kind of light (OK mabe one or two very light ones). Now when I look at my 98 Mustang, which has not been properlay cared for until I found Autopia, there are zero swirls in cloudy or subdued light, or in the flourescent (just one diffused fixture) in my garage. However, in direct sunlight....well.....there are swirls!!! Not terrible like some of the horror pictures we have all seen, but definitely there are swirls.

Now to make a long story a little bit less long , I Klassed/Blitzed before really prepping the surface. I didn`t have the PC back then. I don`t know if I should be happy with this condition or not. I only see the swirls very rarely and only in the direct sun light. I know its virtually impossible to get rid of ALL the swirls especially on a dark car. So the question I am finally getting to, is when I do strip and polish, when does the little alarm go off, that you have done as good a job with the swirls as you safely can accomplish?? Should I be happy with only seeing swirls in direct sunlight? Or should I polish away, until they are virtually gone in any kind of light????

H

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information