Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all,

Ive begun to remove 5 yr old pinstriping from a used car I purchased, and Im having some difficulty in getting an acceptable result. I searched on the forum and found Ron`s advice, but I still have problems with the clearcoat. Basically, you can still the the "ghosting" of the pinstriping. Here is what I did:

Heated it, hit it with WD40, heated it again, peeled it, cleaned it with a damp cloth, cleaned it with PPCL, used 3M PI Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (used moderate pressure enough that I almost freaked when I saw some very faint red tint on the foam pad. Did I rub too hard?), polished it with Meguairs, then final wax with Souveran. Still can see the line.

At this point do I just reapply a new pinstripe? Or try something else? I dont have a rotary and If I apply a more abrasive product I want to make sure it wont damage the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    If so, just clean the area with alcohol, striaght, do not dilute, and reapply the stripes over the ghosting.

The ghosting is the paint being slightly swelled since it did not get the UV penetration that the rest did.

If you are not reapplying and wish to remove the swelling, it would require a light block sanding with 2000 and then a light pass with a rotary buffer, compound and then polish.

Ketch:up
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Thread Information