Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    G`day....

Basically... I am new too the entire car detailing scene... however, okay dokay... I got a new car last week, a 1994 BMW 318i - Cosmos Black... and the previous owners were beach goers adn thus didnt wash it much, and didnt take as much care of it as I would like .... so basically, I am starting from scratch here... I was wondering what steps I should take the first time I detail it ,and then after that ??? I have done a bit of researching and talking too people, but then someone pointed me too this board, and I was like. ....

Okay... Also, I live in Australia.. and thus generally have best access to Meguiars Line of Products (which I was recommended by some dudes on Bimmerforums anyways, is this okay)??

And the steps, caus the car hasnt seen much apart from occasional washes, I was told are...

- Wash, Claybar, Wash, Wax.... etc??

Could somoene please help me out here, with just a general newbie idea into things... and what products (possibly Meguairs... I am not cheap, but its just thats what is out here).... .... and yeah, any other info , would be great... ??

Cheers All...

EDIT : Also, I am kinda looking at this page... as a short reference, is this right : http://www.meguiars.com.au/retail_paint_care.htm

Cheers... And sorry bout the newbie q`s !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 318kr,

Take a look at this link, a wealth of information

http://www.properautocare.com/detailingtips.html.

The search feature on this board is a great tool as well.

Good luck in your detailing.

LC

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting from scratch, haha, that`s a good one

I`m sure you`ll find what you need from much of the wonderful advice here on the forum.

Maybe there`s another from Australia who can tell you what he gets.
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    from what you said you did some good research so far...thats half the battle...use the search key for everything...then narrow it down to little things you have questions about....lots of people here know a whole lot more than me....but....that never stopped me before..so....meguiars Gold Class car wash is a popular product here....as our chenille wash mitts....Microfiber towels etc....so maybe you give it a good washing with the Gold Class...then you can eval a little better what are the problem areas....from the beach goers.. ....probably some claying needed...meguiars clay is kind of on the same level as Turtle Wax products here....not good so to speak....people prefer Mothers Claybar ..dont know if thats available there....but use the search button here for all kinds of stuff...you could be doing that for hours with all the info thats on there...........get some pictures if you can because that always helps......dont be sorry for the newbie questions.....thats the only ones i get to answer...

ps...cosmo black sounds nice......and i could have sworn there was another Aussie here....but cant think of the name....

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx for the info people... hehehe, truthfully, I have lurked here for about a month... however, was a) Bit scared too join up b) I had my Uni Entrance exams going on and just finished today... ....

However... yeah, hehehe, I am going too put on here 24/7 searching around and what not ... ... thanx guys...!

Also... I have been reading the Detailing Tips and what not at that URL above... they are bluddy amazing, this forum and that site... well, it has more info than the Bible ...

However... Yeah, just curious too the steps and products, I am learning quickly though, thanx... and I am sure I will be able too track down various products here, I am not one too give up... ...

Keep the advice/input going guys... and thanx so far (and thanx too the dude who said I need too Claybar, I thought so, caus there would be a fair amount of crap sitting on the paint if it hadnt been done before or well detailed and what not)...

Also... Cosmos Black, hehehe, it is nice... if it all goes well, I will put some pictures up...

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw... Are the general steps correct though...

-- Wash

-- Claybar / Scratch X

-- Wash/Rinse

-- Polish

-- Wax

-- Wax

?????

Cheers All... and sorry about the newbie questions !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your steps are basically correct with the exception of the Scratch X. This product is a filler and will be removed by the polish you use. The polish makes the use of Scratch-X or any other glaze-like product useless.

You may or may not need the wash before polishing but it`s personal preference. I`d do it. Do you know what polishes you are planning to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Id STRONGLY encourage that you wash your car before you polish it, cuz if there is any dirt on your car`s finish you will be grinding it into the finish and therefore making your problem worse. Id wash before you clay to remove the majority of the junk, and then wash again after you clay, to remove the QD and anything that is leftover from the clay to ensure that when you polish your surface is clean and smoothe.

In addition, I`d invest in either the Klasse or Zaino line, cuz frankly Meguair`s products are just ok. IMHO the best stuff that they make is Gold Class Shampoo, and Final Inspection. Also Klasse or Zaino will hold up 10x better than any meguiar`s wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the board! Glad to see another Bimmer owner!

I`m not sure what products you have available in Austrailia, but proper techniques will often get you farther than an inexperienced person with a set of products.

The steps are a bit of common sense if you know what each product does:

WASH- This removes light dirt, bird droppings, heavy dust, and grime.

CLEANER- This deep cleans the paint removing embedded contaminates to make the surface squeaky clean and smooth. A clay bar or paint cleaner would do the job. You might need to do this a few times to get the paint very clean.

POLISH- Polishes are to remove swirl marks or fine scratches. Basically if the paint is squeaky clean but you see some misperfections, then use a polish to abrade a thin layer of paint to reduce the visiblity of these scratches. You might need to do this a few times.

WAX/SEALANT- A good wax or sealant will give a high gloss shine and seal in the "perfect-paint" you`ve restored. It is a barrier against the environment.

Then your done! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Aha! Check out this: http://www.waxwizard.com.au/

Post Thanks / Like
    318kr

Have a look at www.waxwizard.com.au as many of the products mentioned are available, plus the research was done right here in Australia. Declaration of interest: I do the research for Wax Wizard and wrote the site.

I can send you some Wax Wizard Tips on car care in hard copy if you want to contact me offline.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    i knew there was another Aussie here... ...great site man....sme of the product names are unfamiliar to me...but im sure its a different name fpor similar stuff here...like that hydro sponge for the washing...anyway....really great site...very thorough....lots of similar things to the ebook.....again great site...:up

Post Thanks / Like
    FLONI

There are a few Aussies on the board, there are at least 3 more that I know of.
    Regards

Michael H

Post Thanks / Like
    BW... Cheers Matey, thanx for the step analysis...

Michael H... ... I figure I spend the next hour or so at that site, cheers matey... that looks like it is going to be very very very helpful ....

Thanx again guys... hehehe, this place makes the newbie feel really welcome.... mad props too you all !!

Post Thanks / Like
    As Steve mentioned, you SHOULD wash before you polish or wax. Even quick detailing is not enough. If anything, you could quick detail after you wash before you begin any applications of polishes and or waxes. In addition, I would tend to agree with his reasoning of trying a synthetic such as Klasse or Zaino. These products will last much longer than Meguiar`s products. The exception to this would be #20 sealant.

At any rate, a good start would be to clay. You can then try 3M Finnesse It 2 and/or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Both of thes products will do wonders on a slightly neglected paint finish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information