Post Thanks / Like
    Since October was the biggest job cut month since 1980 with 400,000 layoffs in the US, and the unemployment rate is at its highest in five years, I wonder if this will seriously slow the development of new high-tech waxes like ZFX or Blackfire. Cheaper waxes like Turtle Extreme Wax or Meguiars Gold Class may become the standard. I know I will be detailing a lot less to save on products. Maybe QD`ing once a week, and washing once a week. My company just announced 7% paycuts across the board and I just sold my losing stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    October demonstrated the worst 1 month unemployment rate increase in 21 years! More here.

Luckily, my sector has not been hit. But, I have lots of friends that are looking or are very nervous about their company laying people off. Not a great time, that is for sure....

Oh, and I wont be buying any detailing supplies soon. Not because of the economy, but because Chicago winter is approaching and it is almost time to buy X-mas gifts!

Post Thanks / Like
    I very much doubt the unemployment rate and the economy will have any ill effect on detailing products such as Klasse, Zanio, Zymol etc... They produce a few exclusive products that people will buy whether the economy is good or bad. 10.00 - 15.00 for a bottle of wax isn`t the first worry of the common person. If anything I`d be the first to buy a bottle. It`ll keep me busy all weekend and won`t allow me to go out and spend money out of boredom.

I don`t know about Armor All, Turtle Wax or anything like that. It appears they fronted alot of money when the economy was "good" to manufacturer quite a few different products to boost their sales; thinking if they lost it wouldn`t be bad because this was the best time to make a gamble. They are probably losing the money they fronted and not selling their "new" products, which they probably anticipated from the start.

Let me know what you guys think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the boredom thing. 20.00 of Klasse spread out over a few weekends is cheaper than 15.00 for one movie and a popcorn that last two hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    There will always be a market for high end waxex/sealants. Some people who collect cars and compete at Concours events can afford just about anything they want, even if there is a recession.

I know what you mean about cutting back on some of the car products. My last few orders have been just the basics, nothing extra. I recently bought some Pinnacle stuff (Paste Glaz, Crystal Mist, Bodywork Shampoo and PPCL), but I only bought that because I got it dirt cheap, less than $50 for all of it. I would like to try BlackFire when it comes out, but I dont think I will be spending any major money on anymore car stuff for awhile. I have more than enough products stocked up here to get me through winter and probably spring without having to spend anymore $$$.

It seems like most people have stopped buying any "luxury" or frill items, they are just sticking to the basics they need. They are already saying that they expect holiday spending to be at its lowest in quite a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went on a spending spree last week......all this no interest, no payments for a year was too good to pass up. Got a lot of nice toys!

As for detailing stuff, I am pretty much done for the winter. All I really need now is car wash (Z7) and spray detailer, rubber trim products, and interior products, to get me through the winter before I place my big spring order. I hope to get one more coat of Z2 on the acura this weekend, as it only got 2 coats this whole summer since my GF has been driving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Yell00ITR [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>October demonstrated the worst 1 month unemployment rate increase in 21 years! More here.

Luckily, my sector has not been hit. But, I have lots of friends that are looking or are very nervous about their company laying people off. Not a great time, that is for sure....

Oh, and I wont be buying any detailing supplies soon. Not because of the economy, but because Chicago winter is approaching and it is almost time to buy X-mas gifts! [/b]</blockquote>
    In my case, the next item will be a can of Blitz and that`s the end of my detailing spending for 2001.

For 2002....

PC 7424 & Associated bonnets
    Steam Cleaner for interior
    MTs
    More Klasse AIO

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m in the photo business and with the cut in advertising spending, i`ve had a few extra days off in recent weeks.

but it actually causes me to detail more often because i have the time to do it....

detail more, spend more.

it`s what the country needs right now.

---roadk
    Clean 2013 X1

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    If my pay was effected by the economy (the comany sure is, especially since our sales are based on the automotive industry) then I`d ease up on spending. But in my situation, since my paycheck is the same (for now), I`m not changing my spending habits. I think that others who are also not experiencing paycheck changes should do the same. If I were to save more than what I already save, it would be like giving in to the situation as well as not helping out the economy.

As for everyone else, may God be with you and bless your families.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, auto industry is doing quite good right now, with most american manufacturers reporting 20% increases in sales! Im positive it has to do with the 0% financing, which will really hurt them 3+ years from now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking for myself, I probably won`t order many new products, or systems coming out on the market, not until they are proven anyway. I`ll just use up what I have, and then think about trying something new when it`s time to replace them. (I.E. Blackfire instead of Klasse.)

I will however try and maintain my vehicle even more carefully than I do now. That`s in case I have to keep it an extra year or two. I`m in the manufacturing sector of the economy, and that sector has been very soft for quite a while, now. I`ll hold off on major purchase till next year for two reasons. The soft economy, and a new contract in the spring at the business where I work.

I will still try the occasional bottle of a new QD, or tire cleaner, but I will not be replacing my Klasse or EF detailing line in the near future. Besides, I think Santa might bring me some new goodies for Christmas. (Well I have been good!) Enjoy!

P.S. Yosteve, did you get my note? I may be old, but I`m still slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still buying here. UPS should be by my house next week some time.

The oil industry is in a steady increase and maybe they will get it right and fight off any bust. But the oil industry traditionally has boomed when the general economy hurts and slides when the general economy booms.

I will not change my spending habits because of terrorists!! and I hope no one else does!

Spend away!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a re-post on this topic of moving forward vs. backing off. I re-post it because I believe it addresses some of the matters touched on, above.

Don`t Let the Terrorists Win

I am urging everyone I know to get back to work as soon as they can.

And, I do not mean just get back to work. I mean, we should increase our productivity. We should not cut back. That is what the terrorist want. Their real target was not the innocent people in the towers. Their real target was our spirit. They were seeking to damage us emotionally and to blunt our will. Well, we have been damaged emotionally, and I know that my will has been -- well, let`s just say I had trouble going to work. But, that was then.

We are Americans. You may knock us down, but we will get up. I suggest we do more than just get back up. I suggest that whatever we were intending to do before, we increase our objectives. They want us to contract. They want us frightened and uncertain, pulling back from life, business, careers, etc. I suggest that we expand. . I suggest we adopt the motto, "Don`t let them win by disrupting our society and productivity, reach higher than ever."

No one beats us, and no one is going to get us to beat ourselves. We should florish and prosper! While our military and other assets track down and eliminate the cowards, the rest of us should do whatever we can to increase production and contribution, urging co-workers, our bosses, and our friends to rise above any fears and make an even bigger commitment to the future. Americans do not run away from adversity. We overcome it by working harder and better and increasing our objectives.

So, what can we do? We can contribute by:

1. passing along the above message (copy and paste it into an email)

2. speaking up and, with empathy and understanding, pointing out to anyone who feels that they should pull back on business or personal plans that this is what the terrorists want us to do and it was one of their purposes for attacking the Towers, and

3. putting more into our own work and increasing our own production. America`s productivity is just the sum total of our individual work. Let`s increase that work and show them what we are made of.

4. go out and buy something! Help keep the next guy employed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I just order a PC and all extra accessories to go along with it. I agree with the above posts that if I`m home detailing the vehicles then that is less expensive than going out for entertainment.

This economy WILL turnaround. Hang in there.

Thread Information