Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hallo Fellow Forum Members,

I am looking for your help on cleaning and keeping clean these alu wheels, which I have on my Bimmer. They are PITA to clean and there are some baked brake dust which I couldn`t get rid of even using special BMW wheel cleaning brush and wheel cleaner. Is it OK to use some polish on the spots ? I`m also planning to buy P21S Gel stuff. Do you think this would help ?

Any help is appreciated.

Here`s a pic of my wheel, 18"

Deckard

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Armour All wheel cleaner just once to really get the brake dust off the wheel. Then I put a coat of AIO on which cleaned it even more but coated it. Now the brake dust comes right off with shampoo and either a terry, or a light brushing with and OXO. I would not recommend using Armour All regularly, but if you really have a mess, it does work and I don`t the one time will cause any problems... it hasn`t on my 330 wheels.

H

Post Thanks / Like
    Your wheels are painted and clear-coated. You think THOSE are bad - try the M5 wheels! anyway, whatever goes for automotive paint goes for your wheels. Polishes and cleaners are fine. There is a fairly harsh chemical spray called "brake cleaner" - can be used on the tough spots. But then, as recommended, wax `em. They will clean easier from then on.

Be sure you do NOT ( as some unfortunate M5 souls learned the hard way) buy "mag wheel cleaner" or equiv. <strong class=`bbc`>This is an acid[/b] and it will completely destroy the paint on your wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    P21s is a very good product but Eimann Fabrik Hi Intensity is a much better buy. I agree a good coat of AIO helps aid in cleaning.
    Andre`

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that you should get dust free brake pads. Most people don`t like them saying that they might be unsafe and don`t brake as well. Well news to them they make OEM dustless pads, they`re just really expensive !!!!!
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Stop using your brakes and just buy some real good thick boots for your feet. That will solve your brake dust problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Waxman !

My question was actually not about preventing brake dust but baked spots on the wheels. But I would be glad to see a picture of your boots

Deckard

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, can`t see the pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine produces a lot of brake dust and it is a PIA to keep up with. I make sure I wash my wheels at LEAST once a week.

Remember, your wheels are clear coated just like your paint, so before you spray harsh acid cleaners on them, ask yourself would I use this on my paint??

Buy a soft brush and some wheel cleaner. I like to use simple green on my wheels for the initial cleaning step. Some people have had problems with simple green on here, but I think they had non clear coated billet wheels. Once they come clean, apply your favorite polymer sealant. If some spots are stubborn, use an abrasive product like NU FINISH to get the rest of the dirt off as a last resort.

Once this is done, your wheels should come clean every wash (assuming you wash it every 1-2 weeks) with a sponge and car wash. There is no need to use those harsh wheel cleaners each time you wash the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    These guys are right....take the time to give your wheels a good cleaning, then coat then with a synthetic barrier, such as Klasse, Nu-Finish, Zaino, etc. They make it super easy to clean your wheels, with soap and water and/or a QD.

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    There`s only 1 brake dust adhesion preventative on the market soley for this reason. Rain-X wheel protectant. It puts a layer between your wheel and the brake dust so it just washes off. Use this on a Klassed wheel and you`ve got yourself a nice little system (like I do )

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out www.kleenwheels.com I have had them on two cars for years with no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know some guys that had warped rotors as a result of those things limiting airflow and cooling. If you late model large disk brakes, I wouldn`t recommend using KLEENWHEELS. Too bad though, it is a great concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago when my farther ordered a new 3 series he also added a OE option of a product similar to Kleenwheels. I do not know if it is still an option but it may be worth giving BMW a call.

Steven

Alfa 164

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information