Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all!

I`ve lurked here a bit in the past, but I didn`t think to post this question here before posting it at www.bullittclub.com . However, if anyone will know the answer, it will be you folks. I had never used a detailing spray prior to yesterday, and I wasn`t sure what to expect. Even though I was overall happy with the results, the application was somewhat different than I expected. Any input you have would be appreciated! I`m particularly curious how different my experience would have been if I had used the Zaino detailing spray, since I have a Zaino`d car...

Thanks!

Joe

Question to follow:

Has anyone used (on a car polished with Z.1/Z.2) detailing spray other than Zaino? Even if not, I`d like to hear how the Zaino detailing spray goes on compared to the stuff I`ve got.

I have "Slick Stuff" made by "The Wax Shop", and while it was the first time I`ve ever used a detailing spray, it was not as easy and simple as I expected. It does not contain silicone, and I THINK it is also wax free. However, it may not be, and that may be the problem. I know that Zaino is rumored not to do well with wax based products.

For one thing, the directions say that if it is difficult to take off, you need to wax. I just used Z.2 yesterday (2nd coat in about 2 months), and so I don`t think I need to wax. However, it was about 50% as labor intensive as buffing off the Z.2 is. Normal?

It also says it won`t streak. The streaking issue was... strange. From an oblique <strong class=`bbc`>did I leave wax on the car[/b] angle, it was easy buff it to where I saw no streaks. But from a more direct <strong class=`bbc`>pretend I am going to use my reflection in the paint to shave[/b] angle, it wasn`t so easy. It took a LOT of buffing to get it streak free from both angles.

All this said, I think the shine IS better than just Zaino. It`s also so smooth that I had a hard time not sliding the cover off the other side of the car as I was putting it on. But the application was more laborious than I expected. I needed to switch both applicator cloth and buffer cloth OFTEN (5 times/4 times respectively), and while I liked the results, I don`t know for sure if I think this was worth the effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not use it with zaino.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy. when you have streaks/difficulty removing detail spray, it means the underlying surface protection (wax, polymer) isn`t there any more. I use Meguiar`s Final Inspection - I think the instructions even say "when its hard to remove its time to wax".

As a rule, stick with the QD that comes from the mfg of your wax. But I have used Meguiar`s over Zaino and Zaino over Meguiars - they are definitely different compounds but they will both remove dust and smudges and add some gloss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses!

As for needing more wax, as stated I had Zaino`d the day before, so that seems unlikely.

I guess a simplified version of my question is that I expected the "wipe off" portion of applying the detailing spray to be effortless, almost like it was water, with very little buffing. Although I`m happy with how it came out, the effort was considerably more than I expected. (Nearly like buffing wax off.) I wondered if Zaino spray would have been easier/quicker over a Zaino base, or if this is just the way such things work. Again, lack of current wax/polish base is <strong class=`bbc`>not[/b] the issue.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Very quick and easy.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Bullitt - Awesome car, by the way.

01GTCOUPE
    Nice to see you over here, DHG-1934.

Yea, awesome ride that Bullitt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the friendly comments, you two! And thanks especially Intermezzo! No blind brand loyalty here, I see!

I like the looks of the new Civics quite a bit, as well! My girlfriend`s friend has one.

No Silicone in "Slick Stuff", according to the bottle. However, it sounds like I`ll be less likely to have problems with the Zaino spray, so that`s what I`ll have to get!

Thanks for all the input.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using EF Clear Pearl quick detailer and One Grand Show Off quick detailer overy a Zainoed car for over a month now. I really like the results. Best of all, you can buy a gallon of the Show Off quick detailer for a little over $20 at www.tacscar.com or www.carcareonline.com. However, it would be a good idea to use the Zaino quick detailer just prior to your next Z-2 coat. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don, how`s the Zaino holding up on the Maxima?

Post Thanks / Like
    DHG-1934: I`ve used both Z6 and Meguir`s Final Inspection over Zaino, and just wipe off without much effort. Maybe what you are doing is exactly what you describe - buffing off the product? Zaino will look and feel mighty slick without anything on top.

Meguir`s FI does contain a small amount of wax, but that does not seem to be a problem. I suggest you try Z6 or Meguir`s and compare the ease of removal. There may be something incompatable in the Slick Stuff QD.
    2002 ABP @

* debadged 3.2TLType-S and A C U R A

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much Slick Stuff did you spray on?

Ideally, you`d spritz a light mis from 12-24 " away from the surface, while fanning the bottle across the area.

What were you using to remove it?

A large, thick 100% cotton towel or a microfiber would be a good idea. Turn it over frequently. Once a towel become damp from the product, it`s time to get another. Something like an old t-shirt loads up with product frequently, and makes removal difficult.
    forrest

Thread Information