Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody here have their own little detailing business? After a year of practicing I was thinking about starting up a little on-the-side detailing business to earn extra income. If anybody has their own business please give me some ideas to help get me started.

Thanks,

Bart

Post Thanks / Like
    eMAIL ME, I can point you in the right direction

drd

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bart - I`ve been running my own Mobile Detailing Business for 7 years now. Started out doing it on weekends now I`m FULL TIME, and couldn`t be happier. Like Dale said - email me, I`d be happy to share some insights.:up :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    www.mycomputerguy.net/scottwax is my detailing website.

I`ve been in business for almost 8 years now. All my clients are private owners-no used car lots for me.

Make sure you get your DBA (doing business as) so you can open a bank account-depositing a lot of checks in your name sends up a red flag and they will not deposit checks with a business name into a personal account. A DBA in Texas costs about $10 and is good for 10 years.

Check into tax laws for your state and federal taxes as well. You don`t need that kind of trouble.

Find a dependable supplier. Nothing worse than running low on product and not being able to get it.

Make sure you are listed in the Yellow Pages-a small ad is pretty cheap initially (about $40 a month in the Dallas area), but it will go up each year-basically, they give you a break when your business is new. Once you are established, you should be able to cut back to just a listing. I also used flyers when I started. I would put out about 500 a day in nice neighborhoods.

You also might want to offer some sort of maintenance program. To get steady business, I would wash/vac/dress the tires every two weeks, plus take care of any interior problems and wax a portion of the exterior (after an initial detail, of course) for $35-40 for cars and $45-60 for SUVs. What you are offering the customer is a vehicle that will always look detailed, and wax protection that will never be more than 6-8 weeks old. I still have a few people who do that, but since I have so many who get their cars cleaned each week, I have stopped offering it, mostly because I just don`t have time.

If you do good work, you will be amazed at the amount of repeat business you will get. 94% of my business is repeat or referral, so I no longer advertise.

There is a lot more, but my fingers are tired from typing and working-I washed an RSX, CL Type-S, Ford F-150, Lincoln Navigator and a Cadillac Escalade today.

Post Thanks / Like
    On our site, www.autoint.com ,is the Trusted Professional Detailers area.

You may reach that section by clicking on Find a Detailer or the TPD on the bottom area of the home page.

There are phone numbers, email links etc to detailers around the country, as well as overseas.

They, for the most part, are willing and able to aid you.

Might be worth the time to check with them.

Then, on Delphi Forums, is Mobile Detailing Central, MDC, that has a lot of detailers from the U.S. , as well as Aussie Land etc that will provide some info for you.

Ketch

:up
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just wanting this to be a little on-the-side job, kinda like mowing yards except I will detail cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is fine, but do you wish to be just a so-so or be the best?

Do you wish to be above the "butchers", to improve the vehicles or just grease them up? Hide the concerns and walk away saying to all that "well, it looks good now, the heck with next week"?

Do you wish to be able to diagnois concerns or just cover up and allow the condition to worsen?

Do you wish to be considered by your peers as a proficent, educated and knowlegable detailer with true knowledge regarding chemicals, processes and procedures,one who truly details, "reconditions" a vehicle, or just another "wanta be".

I started in the late 50`s, just wanting to clean and shine cars, and then the fever finally took over.

It is your choice, your life, so I just offered some options.

Don`t take this wrong, just some food for thought.

Anyone can go out and buy "makeup" and make a vehicle "look good", but few are actually able to "correct" the issues.

:up
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    You might also want to check out http://www.topoftheline.com/prodetpac.html .

Post Thanks / Like
    I was just wanting to start small, and if things progress to bigger and better things, then so be it. Like I said earlier, I need to practice on my own vehicles before I am confident to work on others. I never do anything half-assed, so if I do pursue this it will only be because I think I`m the best person for the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Start practicing on your family`s cars and then if you are confident. Advertise or offer your services to friends.

Good luck!

Tell us if you can retire in 3 years!

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Bart [/i]
    <strong class=`bbc`>I was just wanting to start small, and if things progress to bigger and better things, then so be it. Like I said earlier, I need to practice on my own vehicles before I am confident to work on others. I never do anything half-assed, so if I do pursue this it will only be because I think I`m the best person for the job. [/b]</blockquote>
    My brother started mowing lawns on weekends for a little extra money so his wife (now his ex-wife, thank God--it is a long and ugly story) wouldn`t have to work. He was working for a computer company at the time, but quit when they started laying off people and doubling his workload without additional pay. He now does 140 yards a week and grossed over $150,000 last year.

Just something to think about...

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone without full fledged companies, pay taxes on detailing profits?
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Thread Information