Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember a reference to a discussion here a while back on some evil compound hidden in Simple Green.

Can someone enlighten me as to what that compound is and what negative effects it has on cars, people, or the environment.

thanks,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    in a nutshell somebody here found a chemical in SG that was supposedly bad for cars and the environment, but what chemical is NOT bad for something? I love SG, so I was not too happy about the smear campaign as most people here previously used the product, but it was a simple case of "get on the band-wagon"

and some disgarded the product on the word of one or two people, completely ignoring the thousands of people that use it with no problems. It apparently discolored some rims, but who knows what amount was used or under what conditions so almost ANY product will react negatively if not used in the proper manner. Anyway, to be on the safe side I would not use SG on my rims in a full strength configuration, I would use it very diluted. (I don`t use it on rims anymore though) It may react negatively with certain types of rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had SG damage my Speedline Rims. The change was slow and not readily visible until compared to an identical set of wheels. Over the course of a year it dulled the clearcoat to a point that was not repairable.

I have no need to "smear" a product but the facts here were clear. I did a great deal of research with the manufacturers of Speedline, Ronal, BBS, and several other manufacturers reps. They ALL cringed when I mentioned cleaning wheels with SG. Some simply felt that it "might" do harm to their wheels. Some said it "absolutely would" do harm. My own experience and the testimonials of the manufacturers is enough for me. I`ll never again touch the stuff.

Why risk it when there are so many other "approved" and tested chemical options available?
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    SG? Isn`t that Sealant Glaze. I did not know Klasse Sealant Glaze did damage to your wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    SG= Simple Green

KSG= Klasse Sealant Glaze

KSG is great for rims.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    works great every time and no problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    no problems,

in about 2 years of use (99 chrysler town & country, 98 volvo s70) both have clear coated rims on them.

i use it deluted in about 1:10 parts tap water.

works great on degreasing the tires too, same concentration,

later,

Post Thanks / Like
    I have documented evidence of damage to my car after using Simple Green to clean the engine compartment. Somehow the bearing on the alternator was damaged and is noisy all the time. This noise began the instant I started the motor after cleaning it. The Simple Green could not have been on the engine for more than 3 or 4 minutes prior to rinsing.

The dealer needs $300++ to replace the alternator.

I already had the serpentine belt replaced ($125) thinking that had been affected but that was not the source of the noise.

The only place I will use Simple Green is in household chores or cleaning the garage floor. I will never use it on a car again. I won`t risk it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hacked at the search tool a bit and finally got it to work and find this thread for me.

Here`e the detailed discussion. Draw your own conclusions.

Simple Green composition thread

later,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]
    The dealer needs $300++ to replace the alternator.[QUOTE]

Tom: I don`t doubt that Simple Green contributed to your alternators demise. However, the basic problem was that you washed your alternator. This is a no-no, because, you guessed it, you can damage the bearings. Now, ideally an alternator has sealed bearings, but that doesn`t seem to work on a practical basis. No doubt the SG, being a degreaser of sorts, caused the major damage when it washed into the bearings. Plain water may or may not have been an issue if it washed in there.

It`s good advise to always cover your alternator and other electrical components when washing the engine area. I know that it`s not always practical, and I`ve skipped it myself, but I also know of a fair number of reports of problems just like yours.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if it causes damage or not, I would not use it. Why not pay a bit more for something that is proven to be safe for cars, then risk it?

It`s sorta like not wearing you seatbelt. There is no proof that you may crash, but it`s "A good thing."

But then of course, most cleaning chemicals will probably have some mild health affects. My doctor, is against using any spray product, and anything that has an "added" or disgusting odor.

Post Thanks / Like
    <blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by AutoBob [/i]
    It`s good advise to always cover your alternator and other electrical components when washing the engine area. I know that it`s not always practical, and I`ve skipped it myself, but I also know of a fair number of reports of problems just like yours.

Bob</blockquote>
    I probably should have covered the alternator but did not. I have cleaned this motor (and many others) before without making major preparations as far as covering things up. For some reason my luck ran out that day.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a basic premise is that if you all want to use Simple Green and take some chances that it will damage your rims then all of you are certainly entitled to that. Its your car. However, I do find it hard to accept if someone comes on here and RECOMMENDS this product when there are clearly some EXTREMELY experienced detailers here who have had bad results with Simple Green. Try it at your own risk. If wheel manufacturers AND Brad B. say don`t do it, then I`m certainly not using that product. I`ll stick to Hi Intesity diluted 1:1. Laters.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have learned in the past, one persons cure may be anothers problem. Tomciob and DETAILKING have used it on their expensive rims without problems for a long time, and others have used it on aftermarket rims with problems so who can say? Who is wrong? As far as damaging aftermarket rims, I know some manufacturers have inconsistent clearcoat coverage, as well as chemical reactivity problems and substandard construction so who

knows if these contributed to the marring. I`ve had aftermarket rims with bad clearcoat that went south early, if I was using SG at the time I`m positive I would have blamed the product. (I was using regular carwash at the time, so I could not blame SG) But, as I said before I did give up SG based on the "experts" here and to negate the "possibility" that they may be right. I do see a disturbing trend though, products that people love one day can get one or two bad words-of-mouth and that`s it for them, gone. 3M IHG was previously loved here, now it`s falling out of favor. EFI Blk Opal was revered for some time, now it also is falling out of favor. After being highly popular, somebody a week or so ago questioned Zaino`s ingredients and why they don`t release them.

Good thing that didn`t go to far, because they might have gotten what they wanted and found out that Zaino is probably filled with items that might not be considered "desirable", but work great.

I can guarantee you, if you dig at any product you can find something that is bad that somebody won`t like. Don`t look to far into EF HI, you might not like what you find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Testimonials from certain individuals, who have proven their honesty and even reserve for criticism, who have also won too many Concours events to remember certainly, should be taken seriously. There was a time that 3M IHG was somewhat popular here but many members quickly lost interest after discovering that Klasse Sealant Glaze is much more durable. There really has NEVER been a real strong or loyal following with regards to Black Opal. Beau is one that comes to mind and just a few others. Most of the other senior members prefer other products. Trust me we do. David B, Brad B. , Arcticwhite and I have always gone on record saying that we don`t like the oily shine. David B. has even said that its a product whose primary target audience should be teenagers not serious car care nuts.

As for Simple Green, this product was NEVER, NEVER discussed here. So its not like it has had a sudden falling out here on the board. Hardly a sould here used it and no one talked about it. I frequent here more than anyone and I never heard any talk what soever about Simple Green here up to a few months back.

Again, if you like it then use it. And if I were to hear or read the most seasoned detailer here speak badly about Hi Intensity, you better believe that I would think twice about using that product. Perhaps some of you all fail to remember, but that Concours winner that I speak highly of rarely if ever speaks badly about any product. Generally speaking, he would just rather not say anything too bad about a product. So for him to go on record and to warn us to be careful with Simple Green, it is indeed a sign that we should all be careful. I, for one, will never use that product.

Furthermore, this is not so much an argument as what may be in the product but the fact that some members here have had horrible results with it. Kind of hard to argue with Brad B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information