Post Thanks / Like

PREVENTING water spots/staining - possible.

So I`m beginning to come to the conclusion that the various coatings on the market provide certain benefits such as Resistance to bug splatter, etc. - a really high gloss can be achieved as well as, IMHO, should be applied after serious paint correction.

But come to hear that water spots are not the strong point of those contaminants that these coatings claim to protect against. While they may offer better resistance than factory clear, it`s my understanding that should, say, a coated car be parked at the airport terminal for a week or so, and it rains/drizzles on the car, chances are I`m going to need a product like Optimum MDR or just as likely, need to polish the stains off.

So two questions. Anyone have real life experience with water staining on coated cars and, strange as the question may sound, anything better than a coating to, OK, maybe not prevent, but resist or at the least easily remove after a coating or wax or sealant, water stains?
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PREVENTING water spots/staining - possible.

Try some hydro.

It seemed to help, but not perfect
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    Try some hydro.

It seemed to help, but not perfect
    I hear Hydro`s somewhat difficult to apply (?)
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

It rains minerals where you live ????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque View Post
    I hear Hydro`s somewhat difficult to apply (?)
    a little finicky, but not terrible like reload
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

When you guys say Hydro you are referring to Hydro2, correct? In that case, Ron, I know you like waxes and certain sealants, as I do. Can the Hydro2 lay on top of those products to offer some added benefit? Specifically, would it play well with 915, Natty`s Blue, things like that? I have bad water spotting issues on my spoiler where water beads tend to lie on a mostly horizontal surface and just bake after a rain. Wonder if Hydro2 would help?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    It rains minerals where you live ????
    Maybe turquoise, silver and gold - some rail dust and in ABQ maybe industrial fallout. No industry in Santa Fe.

I went to a show in ABQ and ran into a club from here. `32 3 window, 55 Chevy`s - these kinds of cars... The Santa Fe VIP.com Junkyard Classic

Their main concern was water spots. Even had one on display with spots. Said they tried everything they knew but if I could help mediate this problem, I would have their business.

Talked to some folks from Optimum and topping OCP with GC would help but no guarantees. So I`m really confused about the so called release properties of coatings at this point.

Hot Rods - you know ...
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    When you guys say Hydro you are referring to Hydro2, correct? In that case, Ron, I know you like waxes and certain sealants, as I do. Can the Hydro2 lay on top of those products to offer some added benefit? Specifically, would it play well with 915, Natty`s Blue, things like that? I have bad water spotting issues on my spoiler where water beads tend to lie on a mostly horizontal surface and just bake after a rain. Wonder if Hydro2 would help?
    Yes Hydro 2

I`ve used it over waxes (natty`s lnb I think), looked good. Jsmooth said it would diminish the wax, but dunno since nothing stays on long for me to see durability issues
    Likes WaxAddict liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have had opticoat 2.0 on my one ride for 2.5 years + ... have seen just a couple of water marks on the coating and they came out by using Prime Strong by hand. seemed to be on the top of the coating not in the coating. you could top with a sheeting product to help the water run off. the only place that I saw the couple of marks was on the hood , nothing on the vertical surfaces.
    just when you think you have your system down pat, you learn something new.

Post Thanks / Like

A real coating is a true sacrificial barrier for your paint. I`d much rather have damage to the coating then my paint. OTOH, I`ve never seen water spots on neglected cars.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    A real coating is a true sacrificial barrier for your paint. I`d much rather have damage to the coating then my paint. OTOH, I`ve never seen water spots on neglected cars.

that is the beauty of a coating for me. let it take the elements instead of the cc.
    just when you think you have your system down pat, you learn something new.
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good points. Think I`ll try that response and see ...
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    a little finicky, but not terrible like reload
    I just picked up a bottle. Would you mind helping me out with potential issues I may run into ?

I was told by Carpro to dilute the product 4:1 instead of what it says on the bottle (that is 3:1).

if thats the case why not put a 4:1 sticker on the bottle to supplement the instructions ? (kind of like what Gyeon does when they update the instructions)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plumbnsquare View Post
    I just picked up a bottle. Would you mind helping me out with potential issues I may run into ?

I was told by Carpro to dilute the product 4:1 instead of what it says on the bottle (that is 3:1).

if thats the case why not put a 4:1 sticker on the bottle to supplement the instructions ? (kind of like what Gyeon does when they update the instructions)

No sun

Less is more (1-3 sprays/panel)

Shock spray (good pressure) move around

Blow dry - do not let any drips/puddles stay on car or they will stain

Dark cars 4:1 light 3:1 is ok

Just my experience

Thread Information