Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who makes the BEST UVA-UVB paint protectant for Florida summer sun....

Dr. G says that the UV inhibitor in OCW is the same as in clearcoat, and that it will migrate into the paint with continued use. The original OCW patent had to do with combining the UV inhibitor with the wax, IIRC, i.e., other people had the idea, but couldn`t get the chemical to mix with the wax or something along those lines. I guess the second patent was the actual UV protection part.

Getting back to the first part, I take Dr. G`s word about the migration, but who knows. I mean this is his original area of expertise, and he is the first guy who gave a good explanation for why the flexible urethane bumpers and other painted plastic parts used to fade before the rest of the car. Remember we always used to talk about that here? The theories were that the parts got hotter in the sun because of the lower thermal conductivity of plastic vs. metal parts, that they used different paint because the parts were flexible, that they used different paint because they couldn`t bake the paint at as high a temperature as the metal parts, etc.

Dr. G explained that they found that the UV inhibitor in the CC would migrate into the base coat and primer, and on a plastic part would keep migrating into the plastic, essentially drawing it out of the clear. They solved this later by adding the UV inhibitor into the plastic, so it was already at equilibrium and wouldn`t leach it out of the clear. Which I guess explains why this doesn`t seem to be happening on newer cars.

But even if the inhibitor in OCW penetrates, does it make any difference? Vs. using FK1000, in Accumulator`s example, which empirically provides UV protection even though it doesn`t contain anything specifically for that.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think DR G is probably correct about the UV protection migrating into the paint. I know in the past that paint that I used Zaino on didn`t chalk up nearly as much as paint that was untreated. I`m not sure what else would cause the difference because the initial application of Zaino would have been long gone at that point.

Post Thanks / Like

But Zaino doesn`t have a UV inhibitor? It would seem you`re proving Accumulator`s point that more important than whether the LSP you use has a UV inhibitor, is using the LSP regularly (well, that wasn`t exactly Accumulator`s point). Just like the brand of oil you use is less important than changing your oil regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

So then you would think UV blockers like Tio2 or Sio2 in sprays and coatings would provide necessary UV protection. From my experience sprays do little to protect, maybe concentration is too low. Coatings may work as some like Gyeon Pure claim, like 70% concentration. Touch up with Wetcoat every few months might be a good start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Dr. G says that..
    Hey, thanks for the Cliff`s Notes about Optimum`s UV blocker (or at least Dr. G.`s claims).

Oh, and as for that..
    ..(well, that wasn`t exactly Accumulator`s point)...
    It`s close enough! If the car "seems like it`s just been waxed" that generally to correlate to "no oxidation problems" even when the LSP doesn`t claim UV protection.

No, not hard-and-fast proof, but inductively compelling to Yours Truly.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    You definitely run into issues with dirt and covers, but OP said the BEST UV protection. Can’t get better than a cover!
    I`ve used car covers since the early 70`s, and there is nothing better if the vehicle is always outside...
    And yes, there are some things you have to think about before using it, and the main one, is that the vehicle needs to be Clean outside, or you will be transferring the dirt that gets on the inside of the cover, on and off the vehicle`s paint..
    So, you just have to be really on top of keeping the paint as clean as possible, and when you do, the car cover will help keep the paint cleaner when it is on the car...
    And then, you will learn how to put it on and take it off correctly, so it is always rolled up when removed, and then easy to put it on the car next time you use it...
    Wind is certainly a big factor, and the best covers have a way to attach the cover about mid-way down, using plastic grommets and a cable, that goes under the vehicle, to the other side grommet, and helps keep the cover on the car when its windy...
    For the kind of pain it is to use one, there really is no better protection if the vehicle is going to be outside in the sun all day...
    Had a lot of vehicles over all these decades, and each one had an awesome cover that went with that vehicle (because they were custom made), and I hope the new owner used it..
    Dan F
    Likes Dan liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    But Zaino doesn`t have a UV inhibitor? It would seem you`re proving Accumulator`s point that more important than whether the LSP you use has a UV inhibitor, is using the LSP regularly (well, that wasn`t exactly Accumulator`s point). Just like the brand of oil you use is less important than changing your oil regularly.

I just checked my bottles, Z16, Z6, Z5pro and I`m assuming Z2pro( I don`t have a bottle) all have UV sunscreen protection on the label.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My Z2 Pro bottle says Ultra-Gard (TM) UV Sunscreen Shield, whatever that means. I looked up the trademark--it belongs to TPC wire and cable and is fairly recent, however an apparently defunct company called Vangard, Inc., of Melbourne, FL applied for that trademark in 2004, but it was later abandoned (along with several other similar trademark applications).
    Likes wannafbody, TGates liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like maybe the patent expired.

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys think there’s a measurable amount of UV protection in any detailing product (interior or exterior), I’ve got some oceanfront property to sell you in Oklahoma.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Vegas1 liked this post
    Thanks wannafbody thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Always great to see you,David!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

WHAT!?? No one remembers Blue Coral`s AUTOFOM with Fomblin-A UV-blocking liquid (and later paste) wax in 1990`s?
    Queue Dennis Weaver`s infomercial ads on late-night TV.
    Hey, I used it and liked it back then before my Autopian days. FINALLY ran out of it about a year ago after using it on lawn mowers and an air conditioning housing (I "detail" anything with paint) and threw the box that the wax came in with all its product info (AKA consumer advertising hype) on it away. (No, I am NOT related to Accumulator......or AM I?!!!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note, Accumulator has been having a lot of trouble logging in. I sure hope he join us again soon.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I still have a tin of Mothers Cleaner Wax. I`m saving it strictly for the tin. Everything now is cheap plastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I still have a tin of Mothers Cleaner Wax. I`m saving it strictly for the tin. Everything now is cheap plastic.
    Speaking of saving metal wax tins, that is what I did with a Classic Carnauba Wax tin I emptied and now holds spray can nozzles and plastic bottle screw-on caps and flip nozzle dispenser caps (think Meg`s Mirror Glaze bottle caps). Yes, I accumulate and save (hoard) "some" detailing-related things I will use later.
    Like repurposed tooth brushes.
    Sorry, I am hijacking ANOTHER thread topic
    (Wonder why Accumulator is having problems logging in?!)

Back to UV-protecting coatings, sealants, and waxes!!
    GB detailer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information