Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Simplifying detailing for old fogies

I`m certain others here are older than myself, but health issues have me feeling older than my years. I get winded way too easy these days. Today I did a quick rinse-free wash, sat down to rest, then went back out and did a simple coat of spray wax over the Paint Guard+ I applied the other day. Quite honestly, it`s embarrassing. I guess I`m at the point that detailing is a form of exercise for me.

I`m looking for more suggestions on products and such to simplify my detailing regimen. Anyone want to offer a few tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simplifying detailing for old fogies

You`ve already got it pretty worked out IMO, using a WOWA sealant and rinseless wash. The only improvement I could suggest is to skip the spray wax and use a wash with some protection, there are several rinselesses with ceramic, as well as the new Labocosmetica Idrosave which definitely has something in it (although it`s a media-stainer).
    Likes velobard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

velobard- IMO what you`re doing now is fine. Although I didn`t switch to a purely rinseless wash regimen, I did switch my wife`s A8 over to just OCW, used as a Drying Aid. Sometimes I`d substitute IUDJ mixed to QD strength (which also leaves a surprising amount of [whatever it is] behind. Although that didn`t offer the "nothing etches through it!" protection of my conventional LSPs, it worked out perfectly well enough. Good to use the OCW on lenses/etc. anyhow for the UV protection.

(Note use of past tense in the above; the A8 got totaled last year No injury to Accumulatorette, and that`s what really mattered.)
    Likes Older liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You`ve already got it pretty worked out IMO, using a WOWA sealant and rinseless wash. The only improvement I could suggest is to skip the spray wax and use a wash with some protection, there are several rinselesses with ceramic, as well as the new Labocosmetica Idrosave which definitely has something in it (although it`s a media-stainer).
    TBH, I sorta figured most of the ceramic rinseless products and similar were mostly using "ceramic" as a buzzword. If some are worthwhile, I suppose I should pay a little more attention. At least with brands I recognize like CG.
    What about the ones that advertise graphene instead of ceramic?

Media stainer? Not quite sure what you mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    velobard- IMO what you`re doing now is fine. Although I didn`t switch to a purely rinseless wash regimen, I did switch my wife`s A8 over to just OCW, used as a Drying Aid. Sometimes I`d substitute IUDJ mixed to QD strength (which also leaves a surprising amount of [whatever it is] behind. Although that didn`t offer the "nothing etches through it!" protection of my conventional LSPs, it worked out perfectly well enough. Good to use the OCW on lenses/etc. anyhow for the UV protection.

(Note use of past tense in the above; the A8 got totaled last year No injury to Accumulatorette, and that`s what really mattered.)
    Glad to hear she`s OK, but sorry about the A8. You had that one quite awhile, didn`t you?

Help me out here, what is IUDJ?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Oh! sorry to hear that Accumulatorette was in an accident!!! I hope she has been healing up just fine...
    Come to think of it, that A8 is really the most beautiful Bank Vault in Leather in the world, as are all Audi`s in my experience...
    So sorry this happened...

Best,
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by velobard View Post
    TBH, I sorta figured most of the ceramic rinseless products and similar were mostly using "ceramic" as a buzzword.
    I dunno, Griot`s has one, McKee`s has them with graphene, ceramic, alien bone dust (sorry, stole that one from Desertnate), the new Gyeon is ceramic. I stay away from all the CG`s stuff, but that`s just me. As I said about the Idrosave, they don`t claim ceramic, but it seems to have something in there. Also plenty of non-ceramic rinseless with "wax".

Just that the wash media gets stained with the dirt from the car, and won`t come off on the Grit Guard, or even in the laundry (well, I haven`t laundered my Idrosave media yet). ONR is the famous stainer. What rinseless(es) do you use?
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, Griot`s has one, McKee`s has them with graphene, ceramic, alien bone dust (sorry, stole that one from Desertnate), the new Gyeon is ceramic. I stay away from all the CG`s stuff, but that`s just me. As I said about the Idrosave, they don`t claim ceramic, but it seems to have something in there. Also plenty of non-ceramic rinseless with "wax".
    I mention GC mostly because there`s a local detailing shop that opened here a few years ago that specializes in CG. Sort of the lazy approach that I can just walk in the door and pick something up.

I never used CG in the past so I`m not committed to them at all so I`m curious, have you had a bad experience with their products? Heck, I noticed they`re even selling it in Walmart now so perhaps I should take that as a red flag, like the first time I saw Schwinn bikes inside a Walmart. Right now I`m just using their rinseless wash. Seems like there should be a few ounces of my old ONRW someplace in the garage, but that`s a task for another day. Hopefully I can lay my hands on my orbital and rotary polishers as well. I did find the last of my FK425 a few days ago, probably 10-12 ounces in the bottom of the jug. The spray wax I`m using is an old bottle of Lucas Speed Wax I had laying around. Sounds like when this is used up, I should look for a ceramic (or graphene perhaps?) option.

You know the worst part of detailing a car you just bought? You see all the paint imperfections you overlooked when you bought it! LOL! Still loving the car though and at least some of it should be able to be corrected when I eventually track down my polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Simplifying detailing for old fogies

TBH, I sorta figured most of the ceramic rinseless products and similar were mostly using "ceramic" as a buzzword. If some are worthwhile, I suppose I should pay a little more attention. At least with brands I recognize like CG.
    What about the ones that advertise graphene instead of ceramic?

Stains the wash media (sponge’ MF’ pad). Yes some of these rinsless have some protection but not much.

You could do a spray and rinse product before you drive if you had a pressure washer.

Easiest though Is a drying aid with good protection. You’d spray on after your rinsless but before you dry. Then drying applies the product.

Your spray wax may work but I think a sealant would be better. What spray wax you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I never used CG in the past so I`m not committed to them at all so I`m curious, have you had a bad experience with their products?
    I just found them to be mediocre, and their whole approach rubbed me the wrong way. The forum found out about Chemical Guys back in the David B days when he got annoyed with a boutique product line that was getting a lot of attention here, that David B knew/surmised was just getting bulk products repackaged into smaller containers, so he dropped some hints and people went searching the internet and found Warner Chemicals and their somehow related company Chemical Guys (I think CG was just another company that was getting stuff private labeled by Warner). CG seemed to have 18 products in every category and their front man at the time was very annoying (to me). I think the only thing I used from them was a couple of washes, and that was a long, long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys started a presence at Walmart but I see more of them on Amazon. I`d spend my money on better quality products that I know will not disappoint.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes velobard, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just found them to be mediocre, and their whole approach rubbed me the wrong way. The forum found out about Chemical Guys back in the David B days when he got annoyed with a boutique product line that was getting a lot of attention here, that David B knew/surmised was just getting bulk products repackaged into smaller containers, so he dropped some hints and people went searching the internet and found Warner Chemicals and their somehow related company Chemical Guys (I think CG was just another company that was getting stuff private labeled by Warner). CG seemed to have 18 products in every category and their front man at the time was very annoying (to me). I think the only thing I used from them was a couple of washes, and that was a long, long time ago.
    I sort of remember some complaints about a product line back in the day, but didn`t remember specifically it was CG. I wandered over to the detailing products aisle at Walmart last night and I swear, it looked like they had more CG than Meguiars and Mothers combined. You mentioned multiple overlapping products? Last night I saw that in CG`s interior detailing sprays. Wow.

The only thing of theirs I have, and the one CG product I believe I`ve ever bought, is a small bottle of their no-rinse wash. It`ll do for now, then I`ll move on to other options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Stains the wash media (sponge’ MF’ pad). Yes some of these rinsless have some protection but not much.

You could do a spray and rinse product before you drive if you had a pressure washer.

Easiest though Is a drying aid with good protection. You’d spray on after your rinsless but before you dry. Then drying applies the product.

Your spray wax may work but I think a sealant would be better. What spray wax you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I finally picked up a pressure washer recently. It came with a soap dispenser attachment. I`m not certain whether it will serve well enough as a foam cannon, but I like the idea of using it with a rinseless wash. I just wonder how much I should dilute it before putting it in the dispenser, but I have no idea what sort of ratio it gives during use.

The spray wax was some old Lucas Speed Wax I still had laying around from years ago, before I dropped out of the detailing world for years. There`s not too much of it left, but it should get me by for awhile. A couple weeks ago I put a layer of Ultima Paint Guard+ and just wanted to freshen it up last night.

Post Thanks / Like

I sort of remember some complaints about a product line back in the day, but didn`t remember specifically it was CG.
    It wasn`t, I mean that wasn`t who David B was trying to out, and I don`t know if it was "complaints", I just remember that the whole episode opened a lot of eyes here about the private labeling business, which of course outside of a few major labels, IS the whole business.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn`t, I mean that wasn`t who David B was trying to out, and I don`t know if it was "complaints", I just remember that the whole episode opened a lot of eyes here about the private labeling business, which of course outside of a few major labels, IS the whole business.
    Yes, the whole "who-makes-virtually-the-same-product-for others-only-with-a-different-label" fiasco was (and still is) a detailing controversy and conspiracy theory conversation/thread discussion.
    Chances are there are only few detailing product companies that actually own a production facility that blends, mixes, fills, and bottles and packages their own products.
    Most are done at custom or contract chemical production and mixing plants. We have two that I know of in Wisconsin: Northern Labs in Manitowoc, WI and R.L.Technologies in DePere, WI, the later for the tunnel car wash product industry.

To the Original Topic Poster (OTP) velobard, you are correct about even "simple" car washing as being a physical activity. I would like to know more about your experiences with the pressure washer and how it helps you wash and clean your vehicle(s), and more specifically what name brand and model of pressure washer you bought and use.
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information