Post Thanks / Like

Mazda exterior plastic cladding?

Did a search, nothing showed up. Bought a new Mazda CX30 that has an inordinate amount of somewhat textured black plastic (?) cladding along the whole bottom perimeter of the car. Question is - how to best care for it? Is it best just to wash and dry or use a product like 303 protectant? If a protectant I want to use one that doesn`t have more than a matte finish and don`t remember how 303 dries. Any other ideas or suggestions?
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mazda exterior plastic cladding?

303 is rather old-school these days. If it`s new, I would be more inclined to use a coating, but if you`re looking for something a little more foolproof, my standby is Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS). You could also try Ultima Tire and Trim Guard (UTTG). Also McKee`s 37 has a ceramic trim dressing, and Griot`s is coming out with one, also.

If you are in a warm weather climate and can apply these frequently (I dunno, every 3 months or so?), that will probably keep the trim looking great forever. If not, maybe a coating would be better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    303 is rather old-school these days. <snip>
    If you are in a warm weather climate and can apply these frequently (I dunno, every 3 months or so?), that will probably keep the trim looking great forever. If not, maybe a coating would be better.
    As am I - I haven`t made a post here in 7 years as I`ve stuck w/ Duragloss products while time marches on. Just started reading about the new (to me) coatings and better sealants that are now available. Mostly looking for the matte finish as there`s a lot of plastic on the car and don`t want to draw any more attention to it than necessary.
    [quote name=`ptaylor_9849`] Black is not a color, it`s a part time job. Patrick[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

The WETS and UTTG (I`ve only used WETS) may be kind of glossy initially but should calm down after a bit. Certainly if you knock them down with a MF towel after I think you`ll get the appearance you`re looking for. I tried one of the original trim coatings, GTechniq C4, and found that to be, um, not foolproof, years ago. I`m presuming they are better today.

Post Thanks / Like

I never use dressings on exterior trim as they can run in the rain and/or attract dust.

I`m still doing UTTG+ maintained with a SprayWax (usually just used as a drying aid).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I never use dressings on exterior trim as they can run in the rain and/or attract dust.
    This was my experience with 303 and a couple other similar products. Stuff would run and make a mess every time it got wet.

I`ve had pretty good luck with McKee`s 37 Trim Restorer and Adams Ceramic Trim Restorer. The only down side with either one is they don`t last very long.

If the vehicle is new I`d look at using a dedicated trim coating. If you are going to use a coating on the paint, that is another option as well and what I do. I don`t find they add any extra sheet to the plastic, so that shouldn`t be a worry.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Thread Information