Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What`s up with these paint bumps?

I haven`t been around here in, well, forever. About 15 years. A lot has changes for me, but what`s relevant is that I finally have another car AND the time to spend on it.

Just before Christmas we bought a 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. It`s white and while that wasn`t our first choice it`s really growing on me, plus it was a great deal. Today is the first time I finally had a chance to give it a once over, just a quick wash, clawed the upper surfaces, and spray wax. Paint correction and such will have to wait for warmer, longer days. But I noticed these paint bumps, mostly on the trunk lid, but a few elsewhere. Any idea what`s up with them? It`s hard to get a good pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s up with these paint bumps?

Welcome back and congrats on the Jag!! Nice that it`s an R!

As far as the bumps go, I`m stumped as of now with that pic and not being able to see them in person. Sorry!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by velobard View Post
    I haven`t been around here in, well, forever. About 15 years. A lot has changes for me, but what`s relevant is that I finally have another car AND the time to spend on it.

Just before Christmas we bought a 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. It`s white and while that wasn`t our first choice it`s really growing on me, plus it was a great deal. Today is the first time I finally had a chance to give it a once over, just a quick wash, clawed the upper surfaces, and spray wax. Paint correction and such will have to wait for warmer, longer days. But I noticed these paint bumps, mostly on the trunk lid, but a few elsewhere. Any idea what`s up with them? It`s hard to get a good pic.
    Thanks! I had my eye out for one of these for a solid 6 months, searching all over the `net daily. A good deal finally showed up 4 hours away in a small town in eastern Arkansas and we were there ASAP.

It occurred to me that maybe I could get a better pic at night with a flashlight. I used a quarter for perspective. I definitely don`t want to pull out the polishing compound and buffer until I know what I`m deal with here.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m having trouble uploading more than one photo at a time. Here`s the Jag. It`s funny, I`m on disability these days and when people see this car, they think we must have a lot more money than we do. LOL!

It`s definitely not an economy car, especially since I love to hear that supercharged V8 sing once in awhile. It`s not the quickest car out there, but it sure can pull hard! At the time it came out it was the fastest salon/sedan Jaguar had ever produced.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by velobard View Post
    I`m having trouble uploading more than one photo at a time. Here`s the Jag. It`s funny, I`m on disability these days and when people see this car, they think we must have a lot more money than we do. LOL!

It`s definitely not an economy car, especially since I love to hear that supercharged V8 sing once in awhile. It`s not the quickest car out there, but it sure can pull hard! At the time it came out it was the fastest salon/sedan Jaguar had ever produced.
    Congrats on a very nice car and welcome, pleased to meet you..

Those bumps look like something is coming out from underneath the paint... Hope this is not the case, but it could be perhaps paint there was not prepared properly before it was sprayed on ...

Are these bumps all over the entire car paint or just that spot ?

I have painted in a past life and those are never acceptable... I am sad that the Seller did not disclose this to you, etc...

Do you have a total paint thickness gauge, or know someone who has a good, accurate, reliable, one and knows how to use it?

If it were here in my garage, I could tell you instantly if the total paint/primer thickness is way higher there, etc., than say, an adjoining panel, etc... Then you would know there has been a repair there, if the thickness is really high (in microns), compared to the rest of the car paint..

Good luck with this..
    Dan F
    Likes Ron Ketcham, Older liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Congrats on a very nice car and welcome, pleased to meet you..

Those bumps look like something is coming out from underneath the paint... Hope this is not the case, but it could be perhaps paint there was not prepared properly before it was sprayed on ...

Are these bumps all over the entire car paint or just that spot ?

I have painted in a past life and those are never acceptable... I am sad that the Seller did not disclose this to you, etc...

Do you have a total paint thickness gauge, or know someone who has a good, accurate, reliable, one and knows how to use it?

If it were here in my garage, I could tell you instantly if the total paint/primer thickness is way higher there, etc., than say, an adjoining panel, etc... Then you would know there has been a repair there, if the thickness is really high (in microns), compared to the rest of the car paint..

Good luck with this..
    Dan F
    I don`t have one, but seeing these makes me think I might want to pick one up. They`re mostly on the truck deck and I recall seeing a few on the roof. I can picture something under a coat of paint. I even considered rust, but it really doesn`t look right or in the right locations for that problem. When we bought the car I was much more focused on things like checking the function of everything, looking and listening for problems during a test drive (I even had the seller drive for a bit so I could focus on listening), and looking for possible issues under the car. BTW, the undercarriage was impressively clean. Even if they went through a car wash recently, it`s in very nice shape.

I`m not going to hold this against the seller as I don`t believe the majority of people pay attention on this level of detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Car look really good!!! And I bet that engine sounds great!!!

Bumps: possibly bad prep/something under the paint if it is a repainted panel? With Dan on this.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Car look really good!!! And I bet that engine sounds great!!!

Bumps: possibly bad prep/something under the paint if it is a repainted panel? With Dan on this.
    Yeah, I`m thinking my next step is to drop by either a body shop or perhaps a detailer and see if they have an opinion on what`s going on and how to deal with it. I fear it could mean a repaint and that`s not in the cards for now. If need be, I suppose I might have to work around them, such as avoiding them when I`m buffing out the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

velobard- Paint bumps or no, IMO you got a swell car! And I`m hoping that since it`s white...maybe, just maybe, you`ll find that you can live with the bumps. I sure think it was a great purchase!

I`m awfully particular about my vehicles, but I`ve found that after a while, problems that`d drive me nuts on some other paint, just *DON`T* on white. I know it`s more of my Autopian Heresy, but perhaps you`ll be able to just live with them while enjoying the car. Stuff like that on my previous Crown Vic (also white, and supercharged ) ticked me off when I was doing an Autopian inspection, and I never could have lived with them on some paints. But after having fun with the car for a while, they quit being an issue to me.

Have you tried inspecting the bumps under magnification? Not sure what you`d discover, but as long as you don`t overthin the tops of them, they might not cause any problems.
    Likes Stokdgs, velobard liked this post
    Dislikes velobard disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    velobard- Paint bumps or no, IMO you got a swell car! And I`m hoping that since it`s white...maybe, just maybe, you`ll find that you can live with the bumps. I sure think it was a great purchase!

I`m awfully particular about my vehicles, but I`ve found that after a while, problems that`d drive me nuts on some other paint, just *DON`T* on white. I know it`s more of my Autopian Heresy, but perhaps you`ll be able to just live with them while enjoying the car. Stuff like that on my previous Crown Vic (also white, and supercharged ) ticked me off when I was doing an Autopian inspection, and I never could have lived with them on some paints. But after having fun with the car for a while, they quit being an issue to me.

Have you tried inspecting the bumps under magnification? Not sure what you`d discover, but as long as you don`t overthin the tops of them, they might not cause any problems.
    Thanks! Good to see you`re still around. We`re loving this car. I don`t have room in the garage yet, that will probably have to wait until summer before we can clear enough space. I`m definitely not moving the motorcycles outside, but there are other things to move out. So instead, I find myself peeking out on the driveway cam to have a peek on a regular basis.

I dropped by an auto detailer`s place and a body shop and they both agree, it must have been resprayed at some point and they painted over debris. It seems really odd to me that the paint has an otherwise very nice finish, but over such a poor paint prep. I need to buy a paint thickness gauge to check up on it. I said earlier that the white paint was really growing on me, but now with the defects in the paint I`m particularly glad it`s white since that hides imperfections better than pretty much any other color. I`ll just have to work around the bumps when I`m going over the car, those panels won`t get any machine polishing, but perhaps a little extra glaze applied by hand to help hide the swirls.

I still have my old detailing products and equipment, but I certainly can`t lay my hands on all of it right now. Just today I came across a jar of Natty`s paste wax that might go to good use soon over some Finish Kare 2180. Of course, those plans might change as I find more of my old supplies.

Post Thanks / Like

With a razor blade, pick a spot with a bump and "nick" the bump. Should you see "rust" there was paint work done, and surface not correctly prepared, such as just light sanding or surface was clayed before. Clay only removes the top od the metal particle, leaving the main particle imbedded. This was covered years ago in Ford TSB #99-12-10, as well as other OEM`s, just that small chemical companies promote their "magic" fall-out removers, people go for such as it appears very easy. Auto paint absorbs moisture, if ferrous particles are painted over, in time rusting will start.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good grief, I just saw that I accidently disliked your comment. I would have sworn I hit Like and now I don`t see how to undo that. My apologies.

Post Thanks / Like

Ketch- Heh heh, I was trying to *NOT* go there with regard to what might be under those bumps! THAT issue would be a real bummer for Velobard, but given which panels they`re on, maybe it`s not rust.

Velobard- Heh heh, no worries I`d even suspected that might`ve happened, with the other possibility being that some Uber-Autopian didn`t like my "live with flaws" idea. Hey, this *is* Autopia!

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years, dealt with this issue a few hundred times for the OEM`s. Therefore just shared those findings here.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ketch- Heh heh, I was trying to *NOT* go there with regard to what might be under those bumps! THAT issue would be a real bummer for Velobard, but given which panels they`re on, maybe it`s not rust.

Velobard- Heh heh, no worries I`d even suspected that might`ve happened, with the other possibility being that some Uber-Autopian didn`t like my "live with flaws" idea. Hey, this *is* Autopia!
    Like you said, it`s a lot easier to learn to live with imperfections on white paint. It would be nice if that "paint acne" wasn`t there, but we still love the car. Now I`m considering some strategies for working with what I`ve got. I can lay my hands on a few of my old products so I`ll mostly stick with them for now. First thing when I seriously tackle this will probably be a hand glaze. The only glaze I have spotted so far is Meguire`s New Car Glaze which has apparently been off the market for years. I`m hoping that`s not too hard to work with by hand. The most durable sealant I`ve spotted is the FK2180 and depending on how that looks I might or might not want to top it with something. The Natty`s I have is the blue version (I owned a deep red car when I bought it), but it might still be fun as a topper even with white, or perhaps I`ll come across a few other options before I get to that point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information