Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What`s up with these paint bumps?

velobard- Ah, so I`m not the onlyAutopian who still has Meg`s #5/New Car Glaze on the shelf! Easiest product *EVER* IMO, easy as Souveran/etc. and you can often top it with something durable without issues.

I wouldn`t automatically assume that the acne-patch areas are fragile. Sure, you gotta watch you don`t knock through the tips of the bumps, but I wouldn`t feel limited to a Hand Glaze without having a really good reason.

I had bumps like this on the last e36 M3 I had (othewise beautiful Byzanz metallic), and yes I am indeed generalizing in a risky way But the clear over my bumps was hard as a rock and other than the topographical issue (which did indeed drive me nuts and contributed to me disposing of the car) all was well.

When a white car is fun to drive, and simply kept clean and shiny....all sorts of [stuff] can stay beneath the radar, even for us Autopians.
    Likes velobard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Over the years, dealt with this issue a few hundred times for the OEM`s. Therefore just shared those findings here.
    Were most of those on production-line paintjobs, or post-production redos? Guess the "for the OEM`s" sorta threw me for a loop as every little flaw like that in OE paint still really surprises me. I currently have a bump like that on an OE Chevy paintjob, and I`m planning to just keep an eye on it as I`ve never had one *on OE assembly line paint* become a problem, but how you have me wondering!

Post Thanks / Like

The issues I observed were due to a repaint by a dealer under warranty and not following Ford`s TSB`s for the issue, not due to assembly plant application.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The issues I observed were due to a repaint by a dealer under warranty and not following Ford`s TSB`s for the issue, not due to assembly plant application.
    I`m not clear, what was the reason so many needed a repaint? Accidents or something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Vehicle under 12 month/12,000 mile enviormental warranty. Vehicles were showing IFO and ferrous metal deposits. Dealer had bodyshop make correction by refinishing rather than use TSB #99-12-10, They sanded the top surfaces failing to actually remove the deposits. Moisture penetrated new paint, resulting in ferrous particles to corrode pushing up through refinish. Just as with "claying", the sanding only removed the visual blooming. Happened at dealers 100 of times, due to technicans failure to follow TSB procedures.

Post Thanks / Like

So TSB #99-12-10 would have been to use the ABC system to remove the industrial fallout and ferrous metal deposits?

Post Thanks / Like

The ABC system is also private labeled for Ford`s MotorCraft product line. Either one is approved by Ford and the use remburses the dealer for use.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a few minutes to read the other OEM TSB`s regarding the issue in the Valugard website. More than Ford have such TSB`s.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wonder now how ABC compares to these more easily available boutique three step alternative products. I have a feeling ABC still offers a notable advantage.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

For over 2 decades, companies have attempted to duplicate the ABC system, and since they do not have working relationships with OEM`s ,their paint and trim vendors are only able to "sort of" do so and as a result in time their "copies" usually resulted in time damage to the paint film and exterior trim. So "no short cuts"or such.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured. I have no plans to try something else.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

The issues I observed were due to a repaint .. not due to assembly plant application.
    Ah, OK, thanks, that`s what I figured. IME the production line contamination/etc. is pretty rare.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information