Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Don`t laugh .. it was a Christmas present, and I`m pretty sure it could be useful

So, for Christmas, my well-meaning nephew bought me an RO polisher ... It is one of those so-called "wax spreader" polishers available at Walmart. With a 10" pad from *AutoSpa. It comes with 1 foam bonnet for wax application and 1 microfiber bonnet for polish application/product removal. I plan on hitting Walmart today to get a few more microfiber bonnets - just to have extra if needed.

While I know that my Porter Cable is far superior for compounding and polishing, I honestly think that this polisher could prove useful in REMOVING products after they have been applied and worked by my PC, particularly wax.

It is supposed to be in the 50s today (with chances of rain), but with any luck, I should be able to wash my car and apply a coat of TW Ceramic/Graphene Paste Wax and try out the 10" polisher for removal (followed of course by a `final wipe` by hand).

I will be filming this for my YouTube Channel, so with any luck, I will have some good news for raw newbies wanting a polisher, but not wanting to spend the money on a `proper` polisher, and are just looking for something to make the waxing process a bit easier.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don`t laugh .. it was a Christmas present, and I`m pretty sure it could be useful

It was nice of him to think of you but I’d take it back if it were me. Just more clutter. They take more time to setup than they save for removal of wax.

Back in the day with few other options, you could do some decent AIO work to remove oxidation, but never any real correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don`t laugh .. it was a Christmas present, and I`m pretty sure it could be useful

Hey it beats getting a crap gift or no gift at all. I`m in the later camp when it comes to my family.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    It was nice of him to think of you but I’d take it back if it were me. Just more clutter. They take more time to setup than they save for removal of wax.

Back in the day with few other options, you could do some decent AIO work to remove oxidation, but never any real correction.
    It uses elastic-banded bonnets that take a second or two longer to attach than a velcro pad on my PC, so there`s no real set-up hassle, I`m actually looking forward to trying it. I even went out and bought 4 additional m/f bonnets to make sure I have enough.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the display Sears used have with them? As a kid I loved playing pro detailer at the mall.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It uses elastic-banded bonnets that take a second or two longer to attach than a velcro pad on my PC, so there`s no real set-up hassle, I`m actually looking forward to trying it. I even went out and bought 4 additional m/f bonnets to make sure I have enough.
    Don, I didn`t mean to disrespect your gift, just didn`t want you to end up with something that didn`t work for you. I (usually) don`t get my ego bruised when I buy something that someone doesn`t like, I`d rather they have something that works for them. If this makes you happy, awesome.
    Likes Don, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don, I didn`t mean to disrespect your gift, just didn`t want you to end up with something that didn`t work for you. I (usually) don`t get my ego bruised when I buy something that someone doesn`t like, I`d rather they have something that works for them. If this makes you happy, awesome.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the display Sears used have with them? As a kid I loved playing pro detailer at the mall.
    I played pro detailer in my driveway once with a Sears one, then, as you noted earlier, I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. I wonder if I still have that somewhere, I think I tossed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t give it away! It would work well on large, flat surface areas of pull-behind work or enclosed rec motorsports hauling trailers or motorhomes or fiberglass boats where perfecting the surface is not the goal, but a clean and shiny waxed/sealed finish is. It uhas got to be better than trying to do such large surfaces by hand.
    Too bad it doesn`t come with a brush attachment; might be good for scrubbing large throw rugs used on wood or laminate floors.

Hey, I am just trying to be helpful with a thoughtful gift. I think we can all relate to a Christmas gift for some friend or family member that was less-than "appreciated" or deemed useful.
    (Strong admonishment: don`t re-gift it for a Chinese gift/ gag gift exchange. Somehow that item/"gift" ends up back in my possession years later! Just sayin`....)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Don`t give it away! It would work well on large, flat surface areas of pull-behind work or enclosed rec motorsports hauling trailers or motorhomes or fiberglass boats where perfecting the surface is not the goal, but a clean and shiny waxed/sealed finish is. It uhas got to be better than trying to do such large surfaces by hand.
    Too bad it doesn`t come with a brush attachment; might be good for scrubbing large throw rugs used on wood or laminate floors.

Hey, I am just trying to be helpful with a thoughtful gift. I think we can all relate to a Christmas gift for some friend or family member that was less-than "appreciated" or deemed useful.
    (Strong admonishment: don`t re-gift it for a Chinese gift/ gag gift exchange. Somehow that item/"gift" ends up back in my possession years later! Just sayin`....)
    I don`t plan on it, ever since I switched to my Porter Cable and left the GEM orbital in the past, I`ve REALLY MISSED being able to REMOVE polishes, etc by machine. Yes it it low-torque, yes the polishing pad surface is HUGE (10"), but the quick-change microfiber bonnets excelled when I used it to remove a layer of cured TW Ceramic/Graphene Paste Wax from the Camaro.

It might not have the power to do any kind of correction, but I have my PC and rotary to take care of that. So now, I finally have the ability to remove polish/wax by machine, instead of only by hand ... Plus I feel it does a better job, and leaves a better finish than hand removal.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

They make bonnets that you can put on a PC--I seem to remember that`s what people used the pad that came with the machine for, the one with the attached stud--in fact I think I have a bunch of bonnets somewhere for that purpose that I might have used a couple of once or something for removing KAIO or KSG residue, back when that`s what the cool kids were doing.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    They make bonnets that you can put on..[various polishers]...
    The buff-off-via-machine can be good when shoulder issues/etc. make the usual approach less than optimal or there`s some other issue. IME you often still need to do some by-hand follow ups, and you can sure go through lots of bonnets if you apply lost of product, but eh...I haven`t tossed my MF bonnets or the pads I use to back them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The buff-off-via-machine can be good when shoulder issues/etc. make the usual approach less than optimal or there`s some other issue. IME you often still need to do some by-hand follow ups, and you can sure go through lots of bonnets if you apply lost of product, but eh...I haven`t tossed my MF bonnets or the pads I use to back them.
    Even though I`m using the 10" to remove the polishes/waxes, I STILL do a "Final Wipe" by hand
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Even though I`m using the 10" to remove the polishes/waxes, I STILL do a "Final Wipe" by hand
    Yeah, pays to spend that extra time. But you just might find that you like using that thing for this, I`ll be interested to hear how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, pays to spend that extra time. But you just might find that you like using that thing for this, I`ll be interested to hear how it goes.
    All it would take is a quick change to a fresh mf bonnet to do the final wipe with the 10" polisher.

The last car I detailed was a 2013 Dodge Challenger, that had NOT been cared for properly (or at all) since new, and it took me over 17 hours (in a 24 hour time frame) to bring it back from near death, to a point where In My OPINION, it STILL needed about 6 hours of work to "finish it off." - The owner - one of my best friends - was beyond the moon with the results, and even though I pointed out what I felt I still needed to improve - HE COULDN`T SEE the remaining "flaws!"

Needless to say, I did A LOT of compounding and polishing on that car, and I REALLY could have used that 10" to make things a bit easier.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information