Post Thanks / Like

"Clogging" pores in paint = triggering oxidation!?

I am on a few detailing pages on FarceBook and I was explaining to someone the 3-step process I recently used on my Camaro and the wife`s Escape that have yielded good results and was advised by someone else that by doing this it will "clog" the pores of the paint and CAUSE/trigger oxidation (at least in Florida, where the guy is from). He did mention that this applied to Florida`s environment, and may not apply to other environments,

I have NEVER heard that before in the 40 years I have been into detailing - and to be honest, it makes no sense to me.

The process is pretty basic. Using 3 Turtle Wax, Hybrid Solutions products (on a car already in `good` condition), I start with the Ceramic Polish & Wax, using the mild abrasives to `clean up` the paint, really rubbing it in with the polisher, to remove old waxes/sealants and to leave a light coat of protection (I don`t wait the recommended 24 hours for the protection element to cure though before moving on). Next, I apply a light coat of Ceramic/Graphene Paste Wax (by polisher). The C/G Paste DOES NOT mention a `cure time.` so I move straight to the final step, a coat of Graphene Flex Wax (by hand). THEN I wait the recommended cure time.

Maintenance of this "system" is a good wash (after the proper cure time has been observed), followed by an application of Hybrid Solutions Pure Shine-Graphene Misting Detailer (awesome stuff BTW, EXTREMELY slick).

I was floored when this guy said that a multi-step like that will clog the pores of the paint and accelerate oxidation, and that a single, light layer of a spray sealant is best!?!?!?

I was very polite in my response, saying I had never heard of that before. I made my response sound like I was curious, not bashing, and asked him to explain - saying that ALL waxes/sealants fill or cover the pores of the paint, effectively "sealing them off" from the outside world, so how would a multi-step `clog` them and how would that promote oxidation?

It`s been two days, and so far ... crickets ... not a word on why he believes multi-steps are bad.

I thought it was interesting enough to post to this group (even though *I* don`t believe it) to see what everyone else`s opinion is.

So what do you all think?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Clogging" pores in paint = triggering oxidation!?

Maybe he got confused with clogging the pores in your skin causing zits, I mean that`s an honest mistake, right?
    Likes PoisonTheWell, Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are products that say they nourish paint and paint is porous at a microscopic level. However the clogging sounds like FL folklore.

Post Thanks / Like

The "nourish the paint" thing did apply to old-school single-stange, but not to modern finishes.

IMO the whole "clogging the paint`s pores" by...what?..applying multiple coats of the LSP?...is utter BS. I`ve had a gazillion layers of LSP on countless cars for years on end and I`ve *NEVER* had oxidation on any of them. Never.

I myself wouldn`t waste..uh, I mand "spend"... a moment on somebody`s goofy opinion that has zero specified logic to back it up. I`m assuming he didn`t offer any such explanation or else you would`ve mentioned it.

Heh heh...I mean seriously, how could "clogged pores" cause oxidation? Does he understand what oxidation is? Oh [foxtrot] it, why spend time on nonsense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Oh [foxtrot] it, why spend time on nonsense
    Unfortunately, the world seems increasingly consumed by nonsense.
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The "nourish the paint" thing did apply to old-school single-stange, but not to modern finishes.

IMO the whole "clogging the paint`s pores" by...what?..applying multiple coats of the LSP?...is utter BS. I`ve had a gazillion layers of LSP on countless cars for years on end and I`ve *NEVER* had oxidation on any of them. Never.

I myself wouldn`t waste..uh, I mand "spend"... a moment on somebody`s goofy opinion that has zero specified logic to back it up. I`m assuming he didn`t offer any such explanation or else you would`ve mentioned it.

Heh heh...I mean seriously, how could "clogged pores" cause oxidation? Does he understand what oxidation is? Oh [foxtrot] it, why spend time on nonsense
    Going on 4 days, and still Crickets!
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Not worth for me to spend a lot of effort providing reality. So here is simple facts, oxidation is the result of resin system being attacked by and broken down by UVA exposure. At times, exposure to some chemicals may result in a similar appearing result.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

As some one that has been in Florida for 30+ years, I`d say its the intense sun that burns and oxides the paint. I`ve never heard of this "pores" thing aside from it clogging the coatings ability to sheet and bead water.
    2005 Pontiac GTO
    2014 HD Street Glide
    2020 Volvo V60
    2019 Volvo XC60

Post Thanks / Like

In order for paint pores to be clogged the product doing the clogging must be smaller, on a molecular level, then the paint itself. For instance paint will absorb water or some solvents and those solvents can cause a temporary swelling of paint but no paste or cream polish/wax will clog paint. I think it was Zymol, years back, that made the claim it "feed the paint" with nutrious exotic oils from fruits and plants!

As Ron stated, oxidation is a paint issue and not a product issue.
    Likes Don liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information