Post Thanks / Like

How to restore/protect rubber trim around windows

What can I use to try and restore/protect the rubber trim around the windows? Thanks!

trim2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to restore/protect rubber trim around windows

Is it weathered? If so, you will want to clean it with something to get the oxidized rubber off. APC, Griot`s rubber cleaner, something. Then I always like WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I`d say it`s weathered (dry and discolored):

trim3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, you need to clean that. That looks like it`s got something growing on it. If you have some Klasse AIO, that sometimes works well for that kind of trim.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Oh, you need to clean that. That looks like it`s got something growing on it. If you have some Klasse AIO, that sometimes works well for that kind of trim.
    Thanks. I do have some (very old) KAIO. Perhaps I`ll test it in a small spot. Otherwise I`ll order some more. Do you have specific advise on how exactly to use it in this situation?

Post Thanks / Like

First you`ll want to wash that and remove anything that`s loose. The KAIO works best on "shiny" rubber trim, if that makes any sense, the harder stuff. like that vertical piece in the middle of the picture. As you noted, you`ll want to try a small spot first, rub it a bit and see if it improves. Bear in mind it`s been a long time since I`ve done this, I`m trying to remember what car of mine I did it on.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d wash with an APC and a gentle toothbrush. Follow with KAIO used on one of those small ladies facial buffing pads. It is a slow process but I’ve brought back some really bad looking rubber that way.

Post Thanks / Like

My "process" has been to clean window seal rubber with Meg`s Detailer Line D101 All-Purpose Cleaner diluted 3:1 on a Scotts Blue Paper Towel for larger black rubber seals and cotton swabs (AKA Q-Tip) on thin, narrow seals next to the window. Most neglected rubber window seals will blacken a cloth, whether it`s cotton or microfiber, so if you choose to use that media for cleaning, just be aware you will probably be throwing them away, hence my use of Blue shop paper toweling.
    Another good cleaner is Illinois Tool Works-Permatex`s Spray Nine. That cleaner is more well-know as a nautical/boat cleaning product, but it works well on vehicles. What is "nice" about this cleaner is that is a disinfectant as well, so it works very well on mold and mildew without the bleach aspect. I found some at Walmart.

As far as protecting the rubber, I use Meg`s new "hybrid" Ceramic Trim Restorer or Aerospace 303 Protectant, again applied with Blue Shop Paper Toweling or old cotton cloths and Q-tips. I have never thought of using Klasse All-In-One (KAIO) for rubber seals. I have used it on B-Pillar posts (middle between doors) hard piano-black plastic trim pieces and black-chromed trim at the base of door windows with very good results. I also like KAIO for hard formed-plastic interior pieces, like center dash & instrument panels.

The typical "uninformed" vehicle owner kinda laughs at me when I detail the windows seals this way, but I have seen some older vehicles in this day-and-age of vehicles being owned and driven for 10 or more years where the window seals are weather-checked and cracked. A twice-yearly (spring and fall) cleaning and protectant application can greatly reduce this from happening and is even more important if the vehicle is not garaged or sits outside during the summer daytime.
    GB detailer
    Likes grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I prep it with Griot`s Rubber Prep, then treat it with Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard Plus ("TTG+), then maintain it with a spraywax after most washes, redoing the UTTG+ as needed (which isn`t very often). Swabs and tiny disposable paintbrushes (made for touchups) are helpful.

Nothing wrong with the KAIO, at least IME, but I do like my current regimen a lot better and I`ve been sticking with it for years now.

Thread Information