Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Got Klasse AIO on my black plastic trim

So, I try to be careful, but I accidentally ran my PCDA over the trim that goes around the wheel well on our 2022 Honda Pilot. Thought I would be OK, but now it is showing up as white.

I`ve tried a few things, but nothing seems to permanently get it off and restore it to black again.

Can someone please provide me the miracle fix for this?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got Klasse AIO on my black plastic trim

Solution Finish
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Thanks bassett72 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Solution Finish
    So does this clean the white off or does it just cover it up and I have to keep re-applying? Something I meant to asked. Have I ruined it for good or can it be cleaned up with something so I don`t have to keep applying something to cover it up?

Post Thanks / Like

Solutionfinish.com has the correct answers to your questions.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

This is textured trim? Is it just one spot or the entire molding? I don`t like to disagree with Ron but I think you need to clean it off, not cover it over, especially if it`s just one or two errant spots. I would try some APC and a soft brush, something like a soft toothbrush. Don`t let the APC dry, and rinse well after. Sometimes getting wax/sealant out of trim can be a real pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    This is textured trim? Is it just one spot or the entire molding? I don`t like to disagree with Ron but I think you need to clean it off, not cover it over, especially if it`s just one or two errant spots. I would try some APC and a soft brush, something like a soft toothbrush. Don`t let the APC dry, and rinse well after. Sometimes getting wax/sealant out of trim can be a real pain.

It is a good portion and yes, textured. What would be the best APC to use?

Also, I didn`t think Klasse AIO was suppose to do that?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen KAIO stain trim but a magic eraser should get it off. I wonder if the pad didn`t have anything else on it. Make sure you test the magic eraser on a test area as it can change the shine level on some plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Make sure you test the magic eraser on a test area as it can change the shine level on some plastics.
    This is very important, whatever you use, make sure it`s not too aggressive, that`s why I was suggesting a soft brush, but whatever it is, check to make sure it`s not changing the appearance. I remember forever ago thinking a toothbrush was a good idea to get some wax/sealant residue off the thin rubber trim around a door handle and wound up marring the paint.

Best APC? That`s hard to say, I use Optimum Power Clean these days. There is also the Duragloss Wax Eraser which they don`t seem to carry here anymore, as I recall that was a solvent-based cleaner. You could also just try some IPA with the brush, you can get the IPA at the supermarket/drug store. Again, just do a test spot to make sure the APC/IPA/agitation device isn`t changing the appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never seen KAIO stain trim
    It`s been over 15 years since I`ve used KAIO with a machine, but I can see it happening, from what I remember, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s been over 15 years since I`ve used KAIO with a machine, but I can see it happening, from what I remember, anyway.
    I`ll be trying a little of both (eraser and toothbrush w/IPA,etc.) there maybe tomorrow night.

With all that, KAIO has been my goto for years, but I`m open to suggestions of something that is easy to get off, but provides the shine/protection that KAIO does!?!?!? I usually follow that up with a coat of Collinites 845 to protect against the nasty salt we get all winter long here in WI. I won`t be doing this again until winter, but could try it on my summer car in the spring. I have a 97 Cobra that needs some TLC... ;-)

Also, I`ve heard of people using IPA after polishing, before waxing. Good idea or no? To me it seems like you would be messing with some chemistry here, but am curious. Heck, I already spend 4-5 hours on each car in the late fall, why not add something else in. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I use KAIO to clean trim. As long as it isn’t chalky rubber that drinks up the stuff, I’ve never had any problems but I’m sure there is some strange interaction with all the different materials out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I use KAIO to clean trim. As long as it isn’t chalky rubber that drinks up the stuff, I’ve never had any problems but I’m sure there is some strange interaction with all the different materials out there.
    Yes, I agree, but I have had it crust up on the edges of panels if you are using it by machine and you have a lot on the pad and it gets hot, and it may be that the OP got a lot on the trim and it dried before he realized it.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree, but I have had it crust up on the edges of panels if you are using it by machine and you have a lot on the pad and it gets hot, and it may be that the OP got a lot on the trim and it dried before he realized it.
    MAYBE that is the issue. I did 3 cars in 3 days. THis was the first car. I realized that the KAIO was hard to get off after applying even if I was doing a section and taking it off right away. I was running my PCDA at little hot, on like 5. I dropped it down to 3 for the other 2 cars and it was much easier to get off. Not being an expert, but put 2 and 2 together to realize that the speed as heading the KAIO up and making it a bear to take off. I`m SLOWLY learning and I guess the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

There are other AIO`s that people like, HD Speed is one, I haven`t used that, personally.

Post Thanks / Like

So, work has been kicking my butt. I`m just now getting to this. The good news is, the ME seems to have done the trick. WHEW. I get sick just looking at the mess I made. :-(

Now I have to decide what to protect the black trim with now that it is clean again..

In another post, I saw these recommendations: Thoughts?

• Poorboy`s Trim Restore or Stoner`s Trim Shine.
    • Chemical Guys Extreme Liquid Shine
    • PB`s Trim Restorer
    • Megs #38.

OH, and when applying the KAIO in the future, should I have my PC DA buffer on like 2. I started on 5, then not even knowing the damage I did to the trim, noticed it was a bit hard to get off so I moved it to 3. Maybe 2 is better?

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information