Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got Klasse AIO on my black plastic trim

I`d tape off the trim or use a different product, or quickly go over the trim by hand with KAIO like Dan recommends (I must have done this too but it`s been so long ago) hoping that will remove any residue.

My personal recommendation for trim protection is Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS). If the car is still "new" and the trim isn`t faded, a product like Optimum Opti-Seal might surprise you and supplant your Klasse products. Full Disclosure: I`m still on my bottle of original version Opti-Seal, it`s gone through at least one reformulation after that, and now has had ceramic added to it, so it may no longer be as idiot-proof as my version.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassett72 View Post
    So, work has been kicking my butt. I`m just now getting to this. The good news is, the ME seems to have done the trick. WHEW. I get sick just looking at the mess I made. :-(
    I;`m late to this thread, but it caught my attention because I used KAIO (topped with either KSG or Collinite`s 476S) on my exterior black trim for ages with no problems at all. But the, I never let it dry on those surfaces either and I suppose all trim isn`t the same.
    Now I have to decide what to protect the black trim with now that it is clean again..
    FWIW, I use Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard Plus ("UTTG+"), which I then maintain with a spray wax.
    OH, and when applying the KAIO in the future, should I have my PC DA buffer on like 2. I started on 5, then not even knowing the damage I did to the trim, noticed it was a bit hard to get off so I moved it to 3. Maybe 2 is better?
    Some sorta-random thought follow:

IME the trick is to not use such a high speed that it dries/flashes off too much. I used 4 when I was using a PC and I didn`t use my Cyclo as it was too fast.

That said, I`ve never had any reason to run a PC at less than 3.

I always tried to buff the KAIO off before it dried completely, even on paint, but especially on trim (same with the KSG/476S on trim when I use that instead of the UTTG+).

I always use a damp (with water) applicator/pad with KAIO and I clean it out/replace it frequently so it`s not loaded with old product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`ve never seen KAIO stain trim...
    I wouldn`t call it "stain", but I did have KAIO alter plastic trim in a way you can still see 10 years later.

The area where the side mirror attaches to the door on a 2010 Mazda3 hatchback is a lower grade, satin-ish finish black plastic. I once tried to apply KAIO to the area by hand when covering the entire car when it was only a year or two old. The AIO seemed to "etch" the plastic. If memory serves, KAIO gets it`s AIO title from chemical cleaners vs abrasives and was one of the reasons it was created to be a bottom layer from Klasse SG. The area in question became chalky in appearance and felt a bit rougher to the touch. I haven`t tried Solution Finish, but no other cleaner or trim restoring product has ever been able to restore that particular area on the car. You can still see the marks going back to around 2011. Oddly enough the trim on that one area of the car is different from all the other plastic trim and it was the only area to suffer from KAIO.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Huh, that`s something! I`m glad you posted about it since so many of us have been in the "go ahead and use it on that.." camp for so long. Gee, I used it on Mazda exterior trim lots of times...this goes to show that you just never know for sure until you do something yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information