Post Thanks / Like

Oxidized `72 red vw

I have someone who want to sell their `72 vw beetle that has been outside most of its life. I plan on getting the paint the best I can get it by washing it, using Comet, yes Comet instead of claying it and then going over the vehicle with BF One Step. I don`t think I need to put a layer of wax as One Step has some protection in the product.
    Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oxidized `72 red vw

The one step should work well for you. If it`s single stage, you should look into soaking it with Meguiar`s M7/#7 first. A few articles here and our sister site about how to do it.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that link to that great tip. Way back in the mid 80`s I bought a `78 Ferrari had it repainted and was told by the painter to glaze the fresh single stage black paint for that wet-look before a car show. I didn`t let the product soak in just applied it by hand. This before the PC DA.
    I know I can only use the newer #7 formula, I was wondering if the 3M Imperial Hand Glaze proved to be like the old #7?

Post Thanks / Like

Most welcome!

Don`t know/have experience with the 3M, only the Megs.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Why BF? Kaio is the absolute king of crushing oxidation. It will load up pads but it will bring chalky paint back like nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Why BF? Kaio is the absolute king of crushing oxidation. It will load up pads but it will bring chalky paint back like nothing else.
    I was thinking of using it after Meguiars #7. BF One Step is what I have on the shelf but I think I will go with Finish Kare Hi- Temp Paste Wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Comet, the kitchen cleanser, instead of a mild clay-bar?? Now there`s an alternate use detailing product and special technique I have not heard of. I need to hear/learn more about this.
    And yes, I am skeptical BUT maybe it`s like a powder medium grit sandpaper for wet-sanding. I would think A Bar Keeper`s Friend cleanser might be even a finer grit.
    I had to think " What is Kaio?" Oh yes, Klasse All-In -One. Excellent chemical cleaner sealant.
    Wax over it.
    My preference: Collinite No.915 Marque D`Elegance paste wax. Why? Wax on - wax off application. Inexpensive premium wax.
    Last a long time (for a wax). Carnauba wax glow/shine/reflection.
    Let us know if you use Black Fire AIO on this single stage red paint. Another very good AIO. And yes, I have used it on clear coat.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Comet, the kitchen cleanser, instead of a mild clay-bar?? Now there`s an alternate use detailing product and special technique I have not heard of. I need to hear/learn more about this.
    And yes, I am skeptical BUT maybe it`s like a powder medium grit sandpaper for wet-sanding. I would think A Bar Keeper`s Friend cleanser might be even a finer grit.
    I had to think " What is Kaio?" Oh yes, Klasse All-In -One. Excellent chemical cleaner sealant.
    Wax over it.
    My preference: Collinite No.915 Marque D`Elegance paste wax. Why? Wax on - wax off application. Inexpensive premium wax.
    Last a long time (for a wax). Carnauba wax glow/shine/reflection.
    Let us know if you use Black Fire AIO on this single stage red paint. Another very good SOO. And yes, I have us d it on clear coat.
    Here ya go: Old Paint - New Tricks! How to remove oxidation from single stage paint the simple & easy way - YouTube
    It won`t happen until next year. The lady keeps the vw outside and she will be selling it, so all my work will not show and it won`t be any easier to sell if it gets rained and snowed on.

Thread Information