Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for What to Use for Blow Drying Vehicles after a 2-Bucket Wash

So my Toro Ultra Leaf Blower-&-Vacuum Model No. 51619 I have used for the past 6 (or 7) years for drying off vehicles after washing them via the 2-bucket method has died (fried the electrical 12-GA wire extension cord as well trying to use it too long to finish out a drying a vehicle; Live-And-Learn!!) I worked well (past tense emphasized!), so now I am looking to replace it. Yes, I do believe it is still available, so replacing the dead one with a newer, identical model is one option.

That said, I am asking what other Autopians are using for drying their vehicles. NO, I do not have an electric air compressor and tank assembly in my garage, so an Air Wand or similar device using such compressed air power is not in the offing.

I am really wondering if other Autopians use a leaf blower for drying vehicles they wash. Yes, it is kind of shade-tree-mechanic/red neck to do so, but for me, it works OK. I would like to know the manufacturer and model of leaf blower you are using and what you like about it. I am open to cordless/battery powered models as well if they work OK for you.

AND, if you use the dedicated Maser Blaster for your drying purposes, I would like to know your thoughts as well. I know MB makes a range of models, and since I am a retired, fixed income hobbyist detailer, I do need to be a little budget-conscious about making such a purchase. I know MOST of you would opt for/suggest such a piece of equipment if you could.
    I also know there are alternatives and other makes of dryers for vehicles and if you have such apiece of equipment as this, let me know your thoughts as well.

I need to make an informed decision rather soon, like in the next 5 or 6 days. Drying a vehicle with just microfiber drying towels/cloths is cumbersome to say the least and the water drips and runs that come from trim, front grill crevasses, panel gaps/water channels/door jams, access doors to gas tanks, outside mirrors, AND rims-&-tire assemblies (wheels) is unsightly OR water drips on the garage floor after driving a vehicle in the garage after washing it is a nuisance on concrete floors.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for What to Use for Blow Drying Vehicles after a 2-Bucket Wash

EGO 765 Blower, with the shorty nozzle listed below. It has a soft rubber tip so no accidents. This nozzle will let you get up close and personal. I`ve loved mine.

I realize this is a pretty expensive recommendation. That said, if one has a yard or garage or has other need for a blower, this is almost a no-brainer. They just don`t get much more powerful than this in a cordless. I`m sure the other less powerful EGO blowers would also work but hey if you`re going to move some air...

EGO.jpg

th-3982940264.jpg

Amazon Link for stubby. Amazon.com
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, The Guz, Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Big Boi blower, nice unit. But I also bought an Ego leaf blower. I reach for it the most by a large margin.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be more worried why this fried a 12awg extension cord, and fix this so it does not happen again to your new purchase...

Did you find out why this happened ?

Things like what was the total length of extension/s connected to the blower, what size was the outlet you used, you know, things like that...

I have used a Master Blaster, the one with 2 motors, and some heavy duty 12awg extensions for years, and never had an issue one on the machine, or the cords from the machine or the extension...I also wire in my own 20amp fuses and outlets, and this helps keep the amount of heat more manageable in my experience...

I also just use it long enough to get the drying done, and now playing around with it etc... Then off it goes... And again, Years have gone by and never an issue with the machine or the same heavy duty extension cords...

And absolutely, as you know, blowing a lot of clean air on the vehicle after the wash rinse process quickly moves a lot of water off the vehicle and gets into those seams between doors, etc, all over the engine and compartment, fender wells, really fast, and leaves so little left to catch with a towel, etc...

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Silly Rabbit:
    Which model EGO blower do you have? I looked at the Big Boi blowers offered by Esoteric Detailing (Hello, 981 Cayman S!) and yes, those look like Master Blaster "clones" with their own design improvements.
    I ask because I assume you like both the power (CFM air movement) of the EGO unit itself AND the fact it is cordless (battery powered).

Also looked at the BLO car drying AIR-RS model sold by Detailed Image. Another Master blaster "clone"again, with their design `improvements".

Cannot go with a big 8HP model by anyone, as I do not have 20amp service in my garage.

The electrical cord issue was the end got too hot and melted/shorted out the female end from using a motor that was dying and drawing too much power/amps, BUT apparently not enough to trip the 15amp breaker OR the GFI at the outlet. My error, though, because I could hear the motor on the leaf blower starting to slow down. I used my shop vac after that melted the male plug, so I assumed its the electrical extension cord and not the shop vac motor that is going bad as well. Could be, though! I had replaced the molded/integral original male 2-prong end when one of the prongs became loose with a three-prong ground plug end, even though there is no wire for the ground. When it rains, it pours!!
    Or , as the Hee Haw song goes "If it weren`t for bad luck I`d have no luck at all; ruin ,despair, and agony on me!"
    GB detailer
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I know this is not what you`re asking, but I haven`t pulled out my Metro Air Force Blaster in years (that works on a 15 amp outlet, by the way, it`s half of the Master Blaster), because I`ve pretty much gone over 100% to rinseless washing. I still almost always conventionally wash wheels, though, and now to dry them I use my low-end Ryobi battery blower. It takes the same batteries as my Ryobi drills etc., so it was no big deal. Of course I`m also not the Autopian I once was, anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I have more leaf blowers than any reasonable person should have. From big 2 stroke backpack to cordless.

After using them all on cars, the one I always go back to is my $20 corded Black Friday special. It`s never dead, always ready at the flick of a switch. It`s not too loud and puts out just the right amount of air.

And for the same reason I`ve held off on getting a cordless DA. Cords while a hassle in some cases, like a lawn mower or weed eater, aren`t a hassle around a car next to a house.
    Likes Silly Rabbit, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellow Autopians for the advice/recommendations.
    Still have not made a decision and am torn between cordless battery EGOs, but the purchase price is a huge negative, which leans more to what I had; a much-less cost-effective electric model.
    Really like the EGOs, though, especially when I see them sold by internet detailing supply company (no name; trying to be Autopia Forum-centric/rule compliant)
    Funny, because the leaf blower is used MAINLY to dry vehicles, not blow leaves off lawns because I rake and bag them per city ordinance, except in the late fall when the city does pick them up from the curb. Even then, I still rake mostly. That is changing though, as age and a bad shoulder says I need to work smarter, not harder!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Thanks fellow Autopians for the advice/recommendations.
    Still have not made a decision and am torn between cordless battery EGOs, but the purchase price is a huge negative, which leans more to what I had; a much-less cost-effective electric model.
    Really like the EGOs, though, especially when I see them sold by internet detailing supply company (no name; trying to be Autopia Forum-centric/rule compliant)
    Funny, because the leaf blower is used MAINLY to dry vehicles, not blow leaves off lawns because I rake and bag them per city ordinance, except in the late fall when the city does pick them up from the curb. Even then, I still rake mostly. That is changing though, as age and a bad shoulder says I need to work smarter, not harder!!
    There are a lot of inexpensive corded blowers on the market. Are you drying with water..by that I mean, for the final rinse, take the nozzle off the hose and just let it slowly free flow from the hose..this will sheath the standing water on the horizontals and 80% of the water will be gone.

You can then use the blower for the nooks and crannies and the vertical surfaces.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I`ve got two corded blowers we use on cars. One is probably 10yrs old and was $31. The other is much larger, I think it claims 650 CFM and dries the car in record time if the vehicle has been coated. This much larger unit was $39. It moves a LOT of air. There is almost no water remaining when you`re done.

I can definitely see the virtue in having a cordless unit. However, I`d be unwilling to spend big money on something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Silly Rabbit:
    Which model EGO blower do you have? I looked at the Big Boi blowers offered by Esoteric Detailing (Hello, 981 Cayman S!) and yes, those look like Master Blaster "clones" with their own design improvements.
    I ask because I assume you like both the power (CFM air movement) of the EGO unit itself AND the fact it is cordless (battery powered).

Also looked at the BLO car drying AIR-RS model sold by Detailed Image. Another Master blaster "clone"again, with their design `improvements".

Cannot go with a big 8HP model by anyone, as I do not have 20amp service in my garage.

The electrical cord issue was the end got too hot and melted/shorted out the female end from using a motor that was dying and drawing too much power/amps, BUT apparently not enough to trip the 15amp breaker OR the GFI at the outlet. My error, though, because I could hear the motor on the leaf blower starting to slow down. I used my shop vac after that melted the male plug, so I assumed its the electrical extension cord and not the shop vac motor that is going bad as well. Could be, though! I had replaced the molded/integral original male 2-prong end when one of the prongs became loose with a three-prong ground plug end, even though there is no wire for the ground. When it rains, it pours!!
    Or , as the Hee Haw song goes "If it weren`t for bad luck I`d have no luck at all; ruin ,despair, and agony on me!"
    Sorry for the late reply,
    I have the 650 Ego. I bought it when it was the biggest Ego had, before the 765. A friend bought the 765 and they both seem the same, the 765 actually may be less noisy. I bought the Big Boi Mini+. I do like it, nice warm air, lots of directed air power. But I just find the Ego so simple to grab, use, done. You can be anywhere in the driveway or wherever vs the Big Boi. Now for moving air in a precise manner... I would give the nod to the Big Boi. But the ability of the cordless Ego and me being lazier by the drying stage of the wash, has me always grabbing the Ego. But the Big Boi is definetly a very well made machine, it`s no poser ripoff.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Silly Rabbit:
    Thanks for getting back with model number of your EGO leaf blower. The 650 model is the one I am considering because of its good reviews (best value in a EGO blower) and the fact it is on sale now at Ace hardware for about $250 for a base unit. The short, stubby air extension with a foam rubber banded end for scratch protection that seems to be designed expressly for drying/blowing off cars and would replace the longer OEM leaf-blowing extension is NOT included. I have no idea what that would cost. For me, it this EGO leaf-blower sounds like a logical choice. BUT my fiscally-responsible other half is not "exactly" enamored with this leaf-blower choice and she has "250" good reasons for not allowing this purchase. Some how this leaf blower purchase process is like the Federal House and Senate Democrats and Republican representatives trying hash out an agreement to have a Federal budget so the government (IE, my vehicle washing) can be funded and operate . (don`t tell her I said that that!! Yes, I can imagine a lot of you "other half personal relationship of either-sex" (politically correct about personal relationships these days) Autopians can relate to this on several fronts concerning items you wish to purchase)

As far as the water-dribble sheeting thing to get more of the water off the vehicle before towel drying it, no, that sounds like too much work and effort; Run to the outside wall spigot (shut-off hose bib valve), turn it off, run BACK to the hose by the vehicle, detach the spray nozzle from the male hose bib, run BACK to the spigot, turn it on, run BACK to the vehicle and pick up the hose and douse off the entire vehicle SLOWLY with water, run BACK to the spigot and turn off the water, run BACK to the hose and reattach the spray nozzle, run BACK to the spigot, turn it on, because I am going to use the spray nozzle to clean out the wash media later. Somewhere in this "process" I probably should have purchased a shut-off fitting to attach to the male hose fitting to take the place of the spray nozzle to control the amount of water trickling over the vehicle as needed, No it ain`t gonna happen. I get tired just typing out the sequential steps in this water-trickle rinsing process, let alone actually DOING this. I must be getting old(er)! (ANOTHER title for Captain Obvious: Cranky Senior Citizen)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I have an ego 765 with a stubby nozzle. If you can hold out for another 2 months, you could probably save some cash on one of the ego`s.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I have no patience for the "sheeting rinse" either, but not because of having to run back and forth to the faucet, I have a little plastic ball valve that screws onto the end of the hose that has a female quick connect on the other end, so you can close the valve and pop the nozzle off without having to run back to the faucet. Mine is too UV damaged for me to even make out what brand it is, but it does say "made in USA" on it.

It`s something like this: https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ectors/7684798

Or they might have this one: https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ectors/7303365

Of course you need the male QD thing that would go in your spray nozzle.

I also have one of these that I use on the other side of the house for garden stuff, that has a "soaker" setting that might work for a sheeting rinse:

Amazon.com

I haven`t used that nozzle for the cars.

Post Thanks / Like

...The short, stubby air extension with a foam rubber banded end for scratch protection that seems to be designed expressly for drying/blowing off cars and would replace the longer OEM leaf-blowing extension is NOT included. I have no idea what that would cost...
    I left an Amazon link for the shorty EGO blower extension above. I think that this is the real bonus of having an EGO and it isn`t even made by EGO. I can`t tell you that you should spend this kind of money on a dedicated car dryer but as I mentioned previously, should you have use out in the yard, in the garage, on the patio, front or rear porches, these blowers are very nice. I`ve tried several and have a plug in dedicated car dryer (got it from AutoGeek), I can`t remember the name off hand as I only used it a handful of times. I`d never go back to tripping over cords and manipulating hoses having went the EGO route.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Lonnie, grovlet liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information