Post Thanks / Like

Honda HR-V Paint Problem

When cleaning our 2018 Grey Honda HR-V I noticed a spot on the paint by the rear door. It looks like the paint under the clear has some bumps sticking up then the clear was applied over it causing a dull spot. I don`t feel any bumps when running my finger over it. Almost like etching from bird poop. I will try and add a picture of it later.
    I assume besides sanding it down and a repaint there isn`t really any way to correct it? My biggest concern is that the clear is even thinner above the spots. Would any type of wax or polish help?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Honda HR-V Paint Problem

jhorton6 --

Welcome to the Forum ! Yes, I know you joined in 2015, but I have not seen your 5 posts, so you are new to me !

If you have as you say, "bumps" under the clear, that is not a good sign, and may be rust coming up from underneath...
    Not sure what you mean by "clear was applied over it causing a dull spot"... Was this door repaired at some point?

If it was repaired under your ownership, you need to take it back to who did it, and see if they will fix it..

If this area is at the bottom of the rear door, then perhaps water got into the door, as in coming down from the window, and eventually getting to the bottom, and perhaps, the little drain holes under the door are plugged up???

I doubt there is any simple way to "correct it", except by first finding out why it may be rusting from the other side, correcting that issue, and then taking that spot down through all the surfaces, and hopefully it`s not a 3-stage metallic, etc.,and carefully, if possible, spot painting that in, and may have to blend it into the rest of the door, so it all matches...

A very good Journeyman Painter could do this, and would be up to speed on the newer paint being used today, and make it all go away..

But for sure, one has to go to the bare metal if you see "bumps" in the paintwork and find out why they are there, because it could be rust coming up from underneath there, due to water/moisture, inside the bottom of that door that is not draining out, because the drain holes are plugged..

Good luck with this!
    Dan F

Thread Information