Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight UVA Help Please

How hazy are your headlights? Are they just yellowed?

In the severe kit the process goes like this: oxidation removal -> wet sand aggressive -> wet sand medium - > wet sand light -> coating.

On my daughter`s car, the lenses were both hazy and yellowed. The oxidation remover was pretty amazing in the level of yellowing it removed. From what I remember it actually took most, if not all of it out, but they were still hazy/cloudy. Only the sanding and the coating was able to make the lights clear again.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    How hazy are your headlights? Are they just yellowed?

In the severe kit the process goes like this: oxidation removal -> wet sand aggressive -> wet sand medium - > wet sand light -> coating.

On my daughter`s car, the lenses were both hazy and yellowed. The oxidation remover was pretty amazing in the level of yellowing it removed. From what I remember it actually took most, if not all of it out, but they were still hazy/cloudy. Only the sanding and the coating was able to make the lights clear again.
    If you`re responding to me, as I noted, the headlights have been previously sanded to remove the failed factory coating, and periodically polished to remove the yellowing. So they are (optically) clear, just yellowy. If I use just the oxidation wipes and the yellow is removed, I guess I`m comporting with the Griot`s "moderate" kit protocol, but I`m just not sure if the coating really needs the tooth from the 3000 grit paper (which is perhaps why Griot`s doesn`t sell that kit anymore).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    If you`re responding to me, as I noted, the headlights have been previously sanded to remove the failed factory coating, and periodically polished to remove the yellowing. So they are (optically) clear, just yellowy. If I use just the oxidation wipes and the yellow is removed, I guess I`m comporting with the Griot`s "moderate" kit protocol, but I`m just not sure if the coating really needs the tooth from the 3000 grit paper (which is perhaps why Griot`s doesn`t sell that kit anymore).
    I was responding to MisterSnoop who was right above my comment...probably should have quoted him to eliminate the confusion.

I do find it interesting they sell a kit with no sandpaper at all. I was under the impression you had to scuff the surface a little bit in order for the coating to adhere to the plastic. I guess not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I do find it interesting they sell a kit with no sandpaper at all. I was under the impression you had to scuff the surface a little bit in order for the coating to adhere to the plastic. I guess not.
    If you`re referring to that Griot`s kit, I don`t see that they sell that anymore. Cerakote sells a package that only has the coating wipes (20). I sent them an email; I`m not holding my breath for an answer.

EDIT: Well, I did get an answer. I asked that since my headlights had previously been sanded to remove the factory coating and were clear but yellowed, if I could just use the oxidation wipe and go straight to the coating? Or if the wipe doesn`t remove the yellow, can I just polish as I have before to remove the yellow and then go to coating. Here is the response:

"It is imperative that you use all the steps that are in your Cerakote® Headlight Restoration Kit. Anything outside of what is specified in the instructions can be performed at your own discretion, but I cannot guarantee the results."

As much as I would like to skip the sanding, I will probably do it as directed since if I`m going to take the time to do this, I really don`t want to have to do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

When I used the kit for the first time, I followed up the third sanding step with a polish from the Wolfgang kit because I didn`t realize the headlights would "clear up" when the coating was applied. From what I remember that application didn`t go very well when I applied the coating. It actually took on a strange orange peel texture and I think it clouded a bit. I actually had to go back and re-due that headlight. Since they only give you exactly enough material to do two headlights, that meant ordering a new kit since I still needed to do the other headlamp.

I also learned that you do NOT want to try and add a second layer of the coating. When I was totally finished the coating wipes were still somewhat wet with product, so I thought I`d go back and do a second layer. Fortunately, I tried this to the headlamp I`d already messed up. Trying to apply a second coat really made a mess of the headlamp. It hazed up and actually started to dissolve the original application. It was only later I found the note in the instructions to NOT attempt a second layer.

Lesson learned through the whole encounter? Follow their instructions to the letter if you want it to come our right. Don`t over think it.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information