Post Thanks / Like

Question Garage ceiling lights

Hi team!

I got an itch to update my garage lights. The honeycomb setup looks great.
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

But it`s a good chunk of money to spend on AliExpress. I wonder if anyone can recommend a great lighting setup.

Thank you!
    S4e22ca54f8a7493aad3b5ca0e7e25dc3z.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage ceiling lights

I have to wonder if that`s more show than go. I have kind of a parochial view on this--being that I`ve seen LED`s where portions of the "array" fail, and others that just get dim quickly, I`d want to have something with replaceable bulbs. However things seem to be going in the other direction, with instead of "LED-ready" fixtures for T8 tubes, it`s more common to have an integrated LED light. So let`s just say it`s rated for 50,000 hours--I guess if it`s in your garage, and it really lasts that long, that might be your whole life, so ok.

I just look at your pictured honeycomb one, and can imagine portions of the hex failing, and then what do you do? Maybe if it`s a small section you ignore it, but if after a while it`s half of them? You replace the whole fixture? I know we got some replacement tubes at work, and they theoretically would last 20 years, but they only have a 5 year warranty. We have some of them where half the tube doesn`t light up anymore--but you can just change the tube. If it was an integral light--call the electrician to change the fixture? That doesn`t make a lot of sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

They sell pieces individually. Every part is available. So that should be a no-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That`s great. You might want to buy the spare pieces at the time you buy the light, because the production life-cycle on these LED lighting products seems to be 2-3 years (due to the constant evolution).
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder...what the specific purpose(s) of the lighting are. I prefer different types of lighting for different purposes.
    Likes Stokdgs, Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I wonder...what the specific purpose(s) of the lighting are. I prefer different types of lighting for different purposes.
    Agree.

I just have 6 simple overhead LED fixtures that look like single bulb florescent fixtures. Two fixtures along the ceiling on each side and two across the front of the garage.

When I`m doing general cleaning or things like polishing exhaust tips and applying trim protection or even applying a sealant, I like to flood the garage with light.

For polishing, I turn the overhead lights off and set up my stand lights in a position that allows me shine the light down the side of the vehicle at an angle to get the best view of the marring/swirls.

If I`m applying a coating I`ll take my stand lights and point them straight at the ceiling to create a diffused light condition that makes it easy to spot the flashing, high spots, and smears.

As for the type of lighting, I found halogen lights actually worked better than halogen for my stand lights. However, they generate a lot of heat and some aren`t as flexible as some LED lights which is what drove me to current work lights which are LED. Overall it`s better, but I lost a bit of functionality.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Barrina T5 LED lights that you can just daisy chain and plug and play as needed.

Thread Information