Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

How has your approach to detailing changed as you`ve gotten older/wiser?

What are some ways your mental approach/mindset to detailing have changed as you`ve gotten older and wiser?

For me, a few things come to mind.

1. My sanity is worth more than perfect paint. Perfection is not reality.
    2. There is only so much clear coat to work with. Glazes and fillers can be your friend.
    3. When you have a family, your priorities change. I don`t have hours and hours to spend in the garage by myself, even though I do still enjoy it.
    4. Much of my interest in detailing stemmed from being a car guy first. I wanted the car to look its best. Along with family comes new types of vehicles. Not necessarily "cool" ones. It`s just not as important to me that these cars look as good.
    5. I do not wish to be a slave to my possessions any longer. I think most Autopians will know what that means.

What about you?
    Likes 981 Cayman S, 65chevy, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How has your approach to detailing changed as you`ve gotten older/wiser?

Biggest "change" to detailing is having the right tools/equipment and products combined with the knowledge and ability to use them correctly to work efficiently. Does NOT guarantee "perfect" results, but better and faster results.
    That, and finding and joining this forum. There is SOOOO much information and great advice to be found here. Another aspect of this forum is learning what doesn`t work OR faux pah`s/mistakes to avoid from someone else`s unfortunate experience.

Another thing I have learned is how physically demanding Autopian-quality detailing can be, especially if entails a full exterior-interior-engine compartment detail. This is especially true if you do detailing using manual (AKA, by hand) methods when you do not have the "right" equipment/tools (some would call it nice-to-have.) Yes, you can get by without it; it`s just more work for you. A carpet extractor is a good example.
    Some do-it-yourselfers can get by with a residential/home Bissel Little Green Machine, but if you want to do it right, a commercial extractor (AKA, more expensive) is preferable and will yield better results in less time. (Hypocrite disclosure: i do not have a commercial extractor, but I do have a Little Green Machine that I seldom use)
    I am dumb-founded sometimes when I hear nubbie detailers wondering why they cannot get their vehicle to look like some of those pictured in this forum by professional detailers. Hand compounding and polishing is very time-consuming and physically demanding if it`s done right. A good-quality buffing machine and proper microfiber and/or foam pads in the hands of skilled operator (detailer) produce excellent results with a lot less physical effort and time than doing it by hand. That is one thing I have learned: Yes, good tools-equipment are expensive, but it is an investment that can save your hands/arms/muscles and produce those Autopian-quality results.

Then there is this much-debated subject of how much time is spent in completing a detailing task and what is considered "inordinate" or excessive with what is considered "efficient" or the law of diminishing returns. Good example is my use cotton swabs (AKA, Q-Tips) to get into cracks and crevices, seams, gaps inside and out. I might go thorough a 100 or so of them and take 2 hours to do so. But in my eye, they are one of those "attention to detail" that sets my detailing apart from those who don`t do this. I HATE/cannot tolerate left-behind dirt or cleaners in seams or gaps on interior trim/panels or wax or polish debris on exterior panel gaps and seams or emblems/insignias. Just one of those "things" I like (need, actually because I am a self-admitted Obsessive-Compulsive Detailer; AKA OCD) to do to consider it a "Lonnie-detailed vehicle".
    GB detailer
    Likes 65chevy, Fishing liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve only been doing this for 4 or 5 years but besides my polishers - I bought the G15 my second year - rinseless washes have really been a game changer for me. I hate getting out 2 or even 3 buckets of water. And i don`t like getting wet..

Rinseless washes are very cheap too and you can use them basically on any surface. I have no intention of buying anymore car shampoo and that`s ironic because i bought a number of different ones before i circled back to reset.

For the KISS type people rinseless can do so many things.
    Likes SR77, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Primary change here is my attitude towards the whole thing: I no longer think that vehicular cosmetics are all that important, so I somewhat begrudge the time it takes away from other endeavors that I find more rewarding.

But I`m still aiming for (and maintaining ) near-perfection, or at least as close as I can on vehicles that get used in the real world. If I saw marring that`s safe to correct, I`d do it, but my wash technique continues to avoid that. I`d no more drive a marred-up vehicle than wear dirty clothes, but I sure wish I had some Autopian Pros in my area who could do this Detailing stuff for me. Though I wonder what it`d cost...doing the undercarriages/engine compartments as per a concours prep at every wash would probably come to some real $.
    Likes TGates, 01GreyStangGT, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OLD: Process was just as important/interesting as suitable results even when it might have been 2 steps forward, 1 step back.
    NEW: Suitable results are all that matter, only thing about process that matters is efficiency.

The `NEW` way is far, far less expensive It does involve a level of acceptance that a car that is driven will never be 100% perfect all of the time; do what you can do and after that, it is what it is. I own the cars, they don`t own me.
    Likes TGates, Fskof, 65chevy, Stokdgs, PearTree liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Primary change here is my attitude towards the whole thing: I no longer think that vehicular cosmetics are all that important, so I somewhat begrudge the time it takes away from other endeavors that I find more rewarding.

But I`m still aiming for (and maintaining ) near-perfection, or at least as close as I can on vehicles that get used in the real world. If I saw marring that`s safe to correct, I`d do it, but my wash technique continues to avoid that. I`d no more drive a marred-up vehicle than wear dirty clothes, but I sure wish I had some Autopian Pros in my area who could do this Detailing stuff for me. Though I wonder what it`d cost...doing the undercarriages/engine compartments as per a concours prep at every wash would probably come to some real $.
    Always good to hear from you, Accumulator. I think back to how my mindset was so different when I originally joined this forum in 2004. As a college student with lots of free time, detailing was much higher up on my list of things to do. I still demand a clean car, inside and out, but my tolerances have changed.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    Always good to hear from you, Accumulator. I think back to how my mindset was so different when I originally joined this forum in 2004. As a college student with lots of free time, detailing was much higher up on my list of things to do. I still demand a clean car, inside and out, but my tolerances have changed.
    There`s only so much time. Funny about your "student with lots of free time" as I had to *discontinue* stuff like Detailing at that age so I could get serious about my studies. And now I`m retired and people seem to expect me to have "empty hours to fill" but there`s no time for Detailing now either!

But sigh...we don`t like "modern" cars, and when the Dailies are old things with a gazillion miles you gotta keep an eye on things so spotless [everything] is simply essential. And my Techs ("Hi!" to Dale, Eric, and Paul) are simply great guys who do right by me and I`d never disrespect them by taking in a dirty car. And if I`m gonna be very particular ("Nobody except Dale/Eric/Paul touches the car. Period. Ever. You understand me? Good.") I`m gonna do my part.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to maintain good washing and drying techniques and try not to stress over a perfect finish. I tend to use spray waxes through the year and just do a polish and hand wax when needed. Usually once a year. Getting older and time is more precious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    I tend to use spray waxes through the year and just do a polish and hand wax when needed.
    That`s all I`ve done on my wife`s A8 for the last decade or so...I wash it and use OCW as a Drying Aid, only fixing what I can`t live with...and not trying too hard to find such flaws.

Getting older and time is more precious.
    I like that you`re giving some serious thought to how you spend your time.
    Likes General Lee, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m losing my NEED for "Perfection," since on anything but a Show Queen, it`s futile. I have also REALLY slowed down and am more deliberate and thorough. Just a "maintenance wash" can easily take 2+ hours, and a wash / polish / "wax," is an EASY 2 day affair. My "slowdown" started last summer, after a period of `Detailing Burnout.`

I finally had the thought: "Why am I always in such a rush? Who am I trying to impress?" I told myself that I detailed cars as a form of relaxation, but I hadn`t been actually doing it in a relaxing manner at all. Striving for "Fast Perfection," quickly burned me out and I lost enjoyment in detailing. I did slowly get it back, but I realized that if detailing was going to be relaxing for me, I had to approach it in a much more relaxed manner. So I put on the brakes and slowed practically to a crawl and started TAKING MY TIME. I now take my time and make the effort to do everything in a relaxed manner.

Since I now refuse to rush, or be rushed, I am able to take care to actually clean the entire car, without `skipping over` or doing things `half-a$$ed.` Because of slowing down, the QUALITY of my work has risen risen and it is once again relaxing, so it`s a win-win.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs, 65chevy liked this post
    Thanks Lonnie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I`m losing my NEED for "Perfection," since on anything but a Show Queen, it`s futile. I have also REALLY slowed down and am more deliberate and thorough. Just a "maintenance wash" can easily take 2+ hours, and a wash / polish / "wax," is an EASY 2 day affair. My "slowdown" started last summer, after a period of `Detailing Burnout.`

I finally had the thought: "Why am I always in such a rush? Who am I trying to impress?" I told myself that I detailed cars as a form of relaxation, but I hadn`t been actually doing it in a relaxing manner at all. Striving for "Fast Perfection," quickly burned me out and I lost enjoyment in detailing. I did slowly get it back, but I realized that if detailing was going to be relaxing for me, I had to approach it in a much more relaxed manner. So I put on the brakes and slowed practically to a crawl and started TAKING MY TIME. I now take my time and make the effort to do everything in a relaxed manner.

Since I now refuse to rush, or be rushed, I am able to take care to actually clean the entire car, without `skipping over` or doing things `half-a$$ed.` Because of slowing down, the QUALITY of my work has risen risen and it is once again relaxing, so it`s a win-win.
    Well said, I can definitely relate.
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TGates View Post
    What are some ways your mental approach/mindset to detailing have changed as you`ve gotten older and wiser?

For me, a few things come to mind.

1. My sanity is worth more than perfect paint. Perfection is not reality.
    2. There is only so much clear coat to work with. Glazes and fillers can be your friend.
    3. When you have a family, your priorities change. I don`t have hours and hours to spend in the garage by myself, even though I do still enjoy it.
    4. Much of my interest in detailing stemmed from being a car guy first. I wanted the car to look its best. Along with family comes new types of vehicles. Not necessarily "cool" ones. It`s just not as important to me that these cars look as good.
    5. I do not wish to be a slave to my possessions any longer. I think most Autopians will know what that means.

What about you?
    Your list hits home in so many ways for me...

One addition:

- I weigh the effort vs. reward over the long run. I could spend countless hours cleaning areas that may/may not be visible (i.e. wheel wells in my BRZ), chasing perfect cleanliness with a nightly wipe down and tons of washing, but the cars are still a daily driver. No matter what I do, they will start to get dirty again by the time I drive to the end of my block. I won`t freak out if they get dirty, but I do look forward to washing it again in the near future.

Modifications/additions to your list.

#3. I`m an empty-nester now, but still want to spend time going somewhere and hang out with my wife than being a hermit in the garage. I do have a bit more time these days...

#4. I want the car to look good no matter what it is as it`s a sign of my taking care of possessions. It also improves their overall longevity. HOWEVER, I won`t give my family hauler the same attention I would a garage queen/show car.

#5. Yes! So much, YES! I am going to drive my cars. That`s what you do with them, no matter cost/form factor. They are a piece of "purpose art" and the true beauty of the vehicle is in it being in motion. Will it get stone chipped, dirty and bug splattered? Yep, I sure hope so. That means I`m driving it and enjoying it for the purpose it was designed. That doesn`t matter if I`m blasting down a backroad or autocrossing my BRZ, or I`m peacefully sawing through miles in our Acura on a road trip while sharing some quality time with the wife.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped chasing perfection. Just used a coating for the first time...did a light polish beforehand. Were there still some imperfections in the paint??...yup. Truck is old, like me, and looks pretty good for its age....like me.
    Likes Desertnate, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In reading the posts, I see a common theme of people easing up on the obsession of perfection. It seems like in the past dozen years or so, the Detailing Community as a whole has sort of eased up on the absolute obsession of 99.99999% perfect paint in any and all sources and angles of light and any marring you leave on yours or a customer`s car is a reflection of your incompetence and lack of professionalism as a detailer. How zealous some posters were in regards to this mindset was mind boggling. I remember reading on this and other forums back then, if someone mentioned using a product that was thought to have fillers, those handful of posters would just freak out on the boards calling them hacks and other stupid comments. Speaking of zealous posters, remember the product wars of old? LOL Remember the Zaino Zealots? When David Bynon (the founder of Autopia for new posters) started the Ultima line and he made posts/advertisements claiming Ultima`s products were superior to the related Zaino products, the Zaino Zealots about had a stroke, lol. It was crazy how so many posters attached their egos to a brand of detailing products. The Zaino Zealots also hated Scott from Arlington, Tx for some reason. When coatings came about, a product whose durability far exceeded Zaino`s legendary durability and beading, Zaino talk just faded away on the boards.

Detailing talk of the past was kind of like on gun forums where the 1911 versus Glock wars took place and now it seems to be Glock versus Sig Sauer, lol. If someone prefers a type of pistol or a detailing product and you prefer a different one, no big deal!!

I have to say, the community is much more enjoyable today and glad I am posting again.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Detailing talk of the past was kind of like on gun forums where the 1911 versus Glock wars took place and now it seems to be Glock versus Sig Sauer, lol. If someone prefers a type of pistol or a detailing product and you prefer a different one, no big deal!!......
    On aside note to this gun debate, in Wisconsin one of the local communities policemen had a police department-issued Sig Suaer pistol go off/fire/discharge by itself (supposedly) and injury the officer. There is now a law suite against the Swiss-made Sig Sauer from the police union. The local department has since switched to Glocks because of this incident.
    This is NOT a one-time self-discharging police department issued pistol incident, as this has also "supposedly" happened within the City of Milwaukee, WI Police Department using the same Sig Sauer pistol. They are also switching over to Glocks as federal funds become available (an unexpected ("non-budgeted", in politically-correct terms) expense to the city police budget) to financially allow them to do so.
    I am NOT a ballistics or gun enthusiast in any way, but I do think police officers have enough on their plate concerning their own personal safety without having to worry about their department-issued pistol going off unexpectedly in the line of duty and getting hurt themselves or to a fellow officer or possibly injuring an innocent person.
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information