Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How has your approach to detailing changed as you`ve gotten older/wiser?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    On aside note to this gun debate, in Wisconsin one of the local communities policemen had a police department-issued Sig Suaer pistol go off/fire/discharge by itself (supposedly) and injury the officer. There is now a law suite against the Swiss-made Sig Sauer from the police union. The local department has since switched to Glocks because of this incident.
    This is NOT a one-time self-discharging police department issued pistol incident, as this has also "supposedly" happened within the City of Milwaukee, WI Police Department using the same Sig Sauer pistol. They are also switching over to Glocks as federal funds become available (an unexpected ("non-budgeted", in politically-correct terms) expense to the city police budget) to financially allow them to do so.
    I am NOT a ballistics or gun enthusiast in any way, but I do think police officers have enough on their plate concerning their own personal safety without having to worry about their department-issued pistol going off unexpectedly in the line of duty and getting hurt themselves or to a fellow officer or possibly injuring an innocent person.
    The Sig P320 has been a huge PR nightmare for Sig with all the misfires when the gun is dropped. A common joke is Sig beta tests their firearms with their customers, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a Glock fan. I don`t like the way they feel in my hand and the controls just feel slightly off. I like the feel of a couple of the concealed carry sized Sigs, but the real sweetheart in the mid-side semi-auto IMO is the H&K VP9. Love that weapon. It as a bit out of my price reach, so I have an IWI Masada that reminds me of the H&K in many ways and is very nice to fire.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My issue weapon was a Glock 17. It was OK, but I have always been a S&W fan. Now that I`m retired, my off duty gun is now my primary car, a S&W M&P 9c, the "compact" 9mm that fits between the full-sized M&P and the `full compact` Shield.

I like the 9c better than the full sized Glock, I feel the trigger on the Smith is superior to the Glock and ironically, I shot BETTER with the smaller S&W, and I have big hands.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My issue weapon was a Glock 17. It was OK, but I have always been a S&W fan. Now that I`m retired, my off duty gun is now my primary carry, a S&W M&P 9c, the "compact" 9mm that fits between the full-sized M&P and the `full compact` Shield.

I like the 9c better than the full sized Glock, I feel the trigger on the Smith is superior to the Glock and ironically, I shot BETTER with the smaller S&W, and I have big hands.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I think I derailed this thread, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Not a Glock fan. I don`t like the way they feel in my hand and the controls just feel slightly off. I like the feel of a couple of the concealed carry sized Sigs, but the real sweetheart in the mid-side semi-auto IMO is the H&K VP9. Love that weapon. It as a bit out of my price reach, so I have an IWI Masada that reminds me of the H&K in many ways and is very nice to fire.
    Check out the Shadow systems m920. You can change the back strap to make it feel like differnt guns. Would be my choice over traditional glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The grips on both my IWI and the H&K swap out too. The large sized grips fit me like a glove. Ditto for the medium grips on the H&K I tried.

After a couple decades of being handed an M9 (a.k.a. Beretta 92F) whenever he need arose, I was presently surprised to find something that fits well. My hands are not made for the Beretta and I never really liked carrying/firing it.

Post Thanks / Like

[Accumulator resists the temptation to keep the handgun-detour going...]

I wonder if the (dis)/continuation of the "perfect as possible" is related to *why* people care(d) about it. I couldn`t care *less* what anybody else (other than Accumulatorette!) thinks of my paints` condition. I *do* care about my Techs having to work on a dirty vehicle, but "clean" and "marring-free" are two very different things. So I keep them clean on general principles, but I try to avoid any marring for utterly personal reasons.
    Likes Don, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

I wonder if the (dis)/continuation of the "perfect as possible" is related to *why* people care(d) about it. I couldn`t care *less* what anybody else (other than Accumulatorette!) thinks of my paints` condition. I *do* care about my Techs having to work on a dirty vehicle, but "clean" and "marring-free" are two very different things. So I keep them clean on general principles, but I try to avoid any marring for utterly personal reasons.
    For me, striving for perfection (on a BLACK car, no less), finally drove me to a state of burnout, where I had no interest at all in cleaning my car, let alone "detailing" it. I tried for perfection for myself, yes, but in an attempt to impress (and gain the approval of others) - others who could NEVER see the `imperfections` *I* did, and couldn`t see WHY I made such a fuss over having a perfectly clean, absolutely immaculate car.

SLOWLY, the interest did return - but so did the realization that why SHOULD *I* care what the other people (who were blind to horribly swirled and damaged paint anyway), thought.

So, I lowered my expectations, BUT improved my game. Lower Expectations = LESS STRESS, while Improved Game = better results. So my mental shift was a win-win for me. I can now return to the primary goal of Self-satisfaction and as a means of relaxation. I am learning to live with the small imperfections that you have to be a contortionist and look at the paint from a million angles to try and find that elusive scratch or swirl, and I`m much happier for doing it. I have decided that "d@mned good" and "better than 99% of the rest of the cars on the road," is plenty good enough. The ONLY person I try to satisfy now, is my wife - when I`m cleaning/detailing her mother`s car, that`s it.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Bert, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    On aside note to this gun debate, in Wisconsin one of the local communities policemen had a police department-issued Sig Suaer pistol go off/fire/discharge by itself (supposedly) and injury the officer. There is now a law suite against the Swiss-made Sig Sauer from the police union. The local department has since switched to Glocks because of this incident.
    This is NOT a one-time self-discharging police department issued pistol incident, as this has also "supposedly" happened within the City of Milwaukee, WI Police Department using the same Sig Sauer pistol. They are also switching over to Glocks as federal funds become available (an unexpected ("non-budgeted", in politically-correct terms) expense to the city police budget) to financially allow them to do so.
    I am NOT a ballistics or gun enthusiast in any way, but I do think police officers have enough on their plate concerning their own personal safety without having to worry about their department-issued pistol going off unexpectedly in the line of duty and getting hurt themselves or to a fellow officer or possibly injuring an innocent person.
    This is the first time I ever heard of anything like this. I carried a Sig throughout my LE career. I used to have a Sig 220 (.45) and eventually my agency switched over to a Sig 229 (.40 cal). They have now issued the new Sig 320 MOS as duty carry. I still have a Sig 229. However I now own three Glocks and just like the way they fit in my hand. I definitely shoot better with a Glock.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up "chasing the swirl" several years ago. I realized that my cars only had so much clearcoat and with the advance in spray ceramics I don`t spend hours applying a sealant anymore. If my car needs a quick polish its always with an AIO like BF One Step or HD Speed.

One of my cars is coated with CSL/EXO which makes things very easy. I also have given up on needing every new product that hits the market. I have so many quality products that tend to get pushed to the back of the cabinet for the latest and greatest.

My cars look better than 95% of the cars on the road anyway so I am happy
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Stokdgs, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only curious to hear Accumulator`s thoughts on handguns? I am tempted to start a thread on it in the general discussion thread if Accum and others have any interest. As wise as many of the detailers are on this forum, I would be curious to hear their thoughts on firearms.
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Pat! Nice to see you posting, seems like it`s been a while...but then I haven`t been on there that much lately (new dog, for one thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Am I the only curious to hear Accumulator`s thoughts on handguns? I am tempted to start a thread on it in the general discussion thread if Accum and others have any interest. As wise as many of the detailers are on this forum, I would be curious to hear their thoughts on firearms.
    Heh heh, my primary thought about Handguns is that these days a whole lotta insufficiently trained, less-than-competent people are carrying `em as if they were magic wands. As with the Driving and the raising of the dogs, Accumulatorette and I take those particular tools, and their use, seriously.

But seriously, eh, I`m a bit reluctant to discuss Guns over the internet for a whole lotta reasons and I caution people to think before they post about `em lest a few keystrokes come back to, uhm...bite your face off.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Back on-topic...it`s not the *marring* that gets to me, which is good since most of my vehicles have paint that`s too thin for much more correction. Since nobody touches the paint, and I wash the way I do, that`s really just not an issue. It`s not like my wash technique, which I admit is pretty extreme, really takes all *that* much time. It`s just that if I`m gonna set aside a few continuous hours to do a single task, there are other things I`d much rather/oughta do. But sigh... I keep my [stuff] clean and vehicles are things that tend to get dirty.

Eh, I go through this with most new dogs, and the latest one is special enough that I could easily let him monopolize my time.

Don- I simply *LOVE* your epiphany about what other people think! The way you`re approaching it now sounds *VERY* sensible to me...doing what *you* find enjoyable, to *your* standards, for *your* reasons.
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the (dis)/continuation of the "perfect as possible" is related to *why* people care(d) about it. I couldn`t care *less* what anybody else (other than Accumulatorette!) thinks of my paints` condition.
    Thank you for getting us back on track. I got a little carried away... I`ll take my wet chamois lashings as punishment.

I think you are on to something. I really do my detailing for me and no one else. My wife doesn`t even care as long as everything clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    For me, striving for perfection (on a BLACK car, no less), finally drove me to a state of burnout, where I had no interest at all in cleaning my car, let alone "detailing" it. I tried for perfection for myself, yes, but in an attempt to impress (and gain the approval of others) - others who could NEVER see the `imperfections` *I* did, and couldn`t see WHY I made such a fuss over having a perfectly clean, absolutely immaculate car.
    I think it was having a couple black cars that actually helped me set reasonable expectation. With my first one, I started to see almost from the beginning there was no way I could keep it perfect all the time without compromising other things in life and/or my sanity. I simply dealt with the bad days (i.e. encrusted in dirt/salt) by looking forward to the good days (a nice hand wash on a warm spring day)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    So, I lowered my expectations, BUT improved my game. Lower Expectations = LESS STRESS, while Improved Game = better results. So my mental shift was a win-win for me. I can now return to the primary goal of Self-satisfaction and as a means of relaxation.
    Absolutely. Owning two black cars really improved my skills as well on every front, but I take it at my pace with comfort in knowing the time I put into any of our vehicles has them looking good and to the best of my ability and the time I can put into it.
    Likes Stokdgs, Don liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information