Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: el naturale tire dressing

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Man that stuff {Opti-Bond} is the most overhyped Optimum product there is. Regular Armor All from the dollar store lasts longer and looks about the same. Either disappear with just a cloud on the weather forecast.
    The thing I liked about Opti-Bond is it seemed to be completely non-greasy feeling on your hands, etc. I had bought a bottle a few years ago and tried it once and liked it, so I went back to trying to use up my other dressings first.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It {Jescar Tire and Trim Protectant} is a good product to use on tires. It leaves a nice clean look just as you stated. Pretty good durability as well. I saw about 6 weeks from it.

Here is the video I made for application to help the op on it. It turned out to be a good purchase.
    Guz (or anyone else who has used this product) I didn`t have time to watch the whole video, is this something that feels greasy like a typical PDMS dressing? Or is it different?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    The thing I liked about Opti-Bond is it seemed to be completely non-greasy feeling on your hands, etc. I had bought a bottle a few years ago and tried it once and liked it, so I went back to trying to use up my other dressings first.
    It is less greasy than most but chemical guys VRP is similar, and it dries completely grease free, and outlasts optibond. It also adds more shine. Regardless both are over a decade old and total underperformers in a market of better and cheaper products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Read my reply, note date...
    thanks Ketch, that one just slipped right past me. Yeah, I to remember how some [individuals] did stuff like that back then, but I never actually knew anybody who did.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    CWhat do sugar and water, Cocacola and brake fluid have in common?
    Sounds like my coffee......
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I want a tire dressing that`s very flat with no sheen at all. Ideally I`d like it to leave the tire just looking like very fresh rubber. Problem is, everything the local car store carries gives a gloss.

Is there a tire dressing that`s specifically known to give the look I`m wanting? I`ll avoid any shipping charges so hopefully on Amazon.

Thanks.
    While not normally available locally I still find Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel to be one of the better natural looking tire dressings.

It`s not the current "flavor of the month" with Si02 or anything. But it works well and a nice added bonus I find that the browning that some tire dressings seem to make worse as tires age; Opti-Bond d
    oesn`t really do. In fact it seems to help keep that browning down.

Another nice thing is that if you don`t like a gel tire dressing you can mix it with water to get a more liquid sprayable version. I usually mix mine at 50/50 to make a more liquid gel. It help me to spread it out better and have an even more natural finish. And if you do a mix it will make a bottle last that much longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    While not normally available locally I still find Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel to be one of the better natural looking tire dressings.
    Do you have problems with the durability of this product?

When I used it, I found it to the be the shortest lived of anything I`ve ever tried. Some times it only lasted hours on a set of tires.

Most disappointing was getting my car ready for a Cars and Coffee one evening. Over night, the car was subjected to a heavy dew and when I went out to leave, the tires were heavily streaked from where the moister rolled down the tire. It would run right off while sitting in a heavy mist too. Even in dry weather, I think I only got about a week out if.
    PERL and 253 on the same tires didn`t have any issues.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Do you have problems with the durability of this product?

When I used it, I found it to the be the shortest lived of anything I`ve ever tried. Some times it only lasted hours on a set of tires.
    I haven`t necessarily run into this with Opti-Bond. When I mix it 50/50 with water the durability is cut down some. For the most part I still can wait and apply it ever other wash or more.

As a note I primarily have run Goodyear tires on our vehicles. But have also run factory Pirelli and Yokohama tires without issue.

I have heard of certain brands or specific types of tires having issues with tire dressings in the past. But I have been lucky enough to not run into those.

If you applied Opti-Bond and it basically disappeared in a few hours I would guess that the tire was absorbing the dressing and I would apply more until that stopped. I have seen this where older tires take multiple application to get them to look and hold correctly due to absorbing the dressing because of age or care. It`s not like the dressing fell off the tire and onto the floor in a puddle.

For long term durability (month +) I go with a tire coating. I have used Tuff-Shine and the Optimum version. Both work and last.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information