Post Thanks / Like

A `new` and surprising product for interior plastic, vinyl and fabric cleaning

I used a “New to Me” cleaner that I learned about on You Tube, on one of APEX Detailing`s videos. The cleaner is not sold in stores, or online (not exactly). It is a home-brew concoction using two VERY common cleaners – laundry detergent (without fabric softener) and an APC (I used Purple Power, since it`s what I have on hand).The idea is to use about 2 ounces of laundry detergent and about 1 – 2 ounces of APC, in a 32 ounce bottle, then filled the rest of the way with water and mixed. I watched the video about him cleaning some NASTY interiors (non leather) several months ago, but since I haven`t been in a `detailing state of mind,` and don`t really LIKE doing interiors, all I`ve used it for is cleaning the soap/dirt rings out of the bathtub (which it excels at, it literally MELTS the dirt away).

My wife had mentioned that she would like to have the interior of her car cleaned, so yesterday, instead of working on the Camaro, I did the interior of her Escape. Starting with trash clean up and a solid vacuuming, I got to work. Then, starting with the driver`s door, I worked my way around the car, doing one area at a time. Door sills, followed by that panel for that door. The only tools `required` were two microfiber towel, one `wet` and one `dry,` a 2” paint brush (I don`t have detailing-specific brushes and I`m to cheap to get some), the bottle of cleaner and a bucket of fresh water to rinse the brush and `wet` microfiber cloth after each section (let me tell you, the `rinse` bucket got surprisingly dirty).

Her Escape has a light gray/tan interior and it really shows dirt. As most detailers know, a large portion of the dirt and grime that collects on interior panels are body oils, sweat and dirt. Let`s think about that real quick...laundry detergent was SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to deal with exactly that kind of dirt, and remove it from your clothes. So why wouldn`t it work on interior stains?

I started by spraying the panel with the cleaner, to give it some soak or dwell time. Then I sprayed a shot of cleaner into the brush and started scrubbing. This mixture does foam up a little and in some areas, you could see the foam turning a light brown. Once I was finished scrubbing, I took the `wet` microfiber cloth and wiped off (rinsed) the panel, then I followed up with the dry microfiber. The results were impressive, and it didn`t take a lot of time or effort. Even `undressed` the panels looked great. As a bonus, the scent from the laundry detergent made the whole car smell pretty good. I would call this product “test” a success.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes dgage, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A `new` and surprising product for interior plastic, vinyl and fabric cleaning

Don:
    What did you use for a laundry detergent??? You told us that the APC is Purple Power, but not the laundry detergent.

I use a stiff bristle re-purposed tooth brush and a small tampico (natural fiber) bristled brush and Griot`s Garage 3-pack Green Interior Cleaning Microfibers for my interior vinyl and plastic panel and usually use the ubiquitous Autopian-standard Meg`s Detailer Line D101 All-Purpsse Cleaner diluted 5:1. Tougher stains require Optimum Power Clean diluted 3:1 OR a local soap companies Orange Citrus cleaner diluted 3:1 (Think Zep Citrus Cleaner/Degreaser). i must say that the GG Green Interior Cleaning Microfibers are THE BEST for scrub cleaning and soaking up (extracting) the cleaning solution. The dual-sided long/short nap microfiber construction work well. i use the snort side nap for scrubbing and the long-side nap for soaking up extracting the dirty cleaning solution on the panels or dash. i do use two buckets of water,; one for the wash media/brushes and one for rinsing the extracting microfiber. I find,like you did, how dirty the rinse water gets, and change it out frequently, preferring to work with "cleaner" rinse water.
    One technique I use is to spray the cleaning solution onto the microfiber or brush and THEN scrub or brush the plastic or vinyl, rather than spraying the cleaning solution directly onto panel or dash. I HATE the overspray getting onto fabric or clear lens dash gauges or navigation screens or metal trim. That said, if a panel is covered in some nasty stain substance, like sticky soda or sweetened coffees, I will spray it directly and let it soak and then scrub and wipe it.

SO, will this home-made interior cleaning solution replace what you used to use for cleaning panels and dashes??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A `new` and surprising product for interior plastic, vinyl and fabric cleaning

For vinyl, and plastic I use Murphys oil soap in the spray bottle. For fabric I use ammonia and water 3 to 1 or 4 to 1. with ammonia and water you simply dunk a towel in the solution wring out and wipe.Dries fast and after it dries it pulls out all the oders, and doesent resoil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Don:
    What did you use for a laundry detergent??? You told us that the APC is Purple Power, but not the laundry detergent.

I use a stiff bristle re-purposed tooth brush and a small tampico (natural fiber) bristled brush and Griot`s Garage 3-pack Green Interior Cleaning Microfibers for my interior vinyl and plastic panel and usually use the ubiquitous Autopian-standard Meg`s Detailer Line D101 All-Purpsse Cleaner diluted 5:1. Tougher stains require Optimum Power Clean diluted 3:1 OR a local soap companies Orange Citrus cleaner diluted 3:1 (Think Zep Citrus Cleaner/Degreaser). i must say that the GG Green Interior Cleaning Microfibers are THE BEST for scrub cleaning and soaking up (extracting) the cleaning solution. The dual-sided long/short nap microfiber construction work well. i use the snort side nap for scrubbing and the long-side nap for soaking up extracting the dirty cleaning solution on the panels or dash. i do use two buckets of water,; one for the wash media/brushes and one for rinsing the extracting microfiber. I find,like you did, how dirty the rinse water gets, and change it out frequently, preferring to work with "cleaner" rinse water.
    One technique I use is to spray the cleaning solution onto the microfiber or brush and THEN scrub or brush the plastic or vinyl, rather than spraying the cleaning solution directly onto panel or dash. I HATE the overspray getting onto fabric or clear lens dash gauges or navigation screens or metal trim. That said, if a panel is covered in some nasty stain substance, like sticky soda or sweetened coffees, I will spray it directly and let it soak and then scrub and wipe it.

SO, will this home-made interior cleaning solution replace what you used to use for cleaning panels and dashes??
    This time around, I used a generic laundry detergent, but I normally used TIDE ULTRA W/OXY and Odor Remover (the wife bought the pods this last time, so I wasn`t able to use that).

From the way it worked on the Escape`s interior, I would say that it has already replaced my other plastic/vinyl cleaners.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    For vinyl, and plastic I use Murphys oil soap in the spray bottle. For fabric I use ammonia and water 3 to 1 or 4 to 1. with ammonia and water you simply dunk a towel in the solution wring out and wipe.Dries fast and after it dries it pulls out all the oders, and doesent resoil.
    The mix I posted is pretty strong and on fabrics would require a good rinsing to avoid causing resoiling (or making resoiling worse), but for nonabsorbent materials, it seem to work fine. When Spring rolls around and it`s time to clean the FABRICS, I will be using MUCH less laundry detergent and no APC in the mix, along with my wet-vac to pull out the cleaner.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of great home cleaners that work well. I`m a huge fan of Mr Clean. Smell aside, it`s one of the best rinseless interior and exterior cleaners. However I`m always skeptical when there is no direct comparison to another well known product.

Doesn`t help that a lot of these guys make money off video play counts.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to steal or hi-jack this thread discussion, (RIIIGHT Captain Obvious!...with your forum reputation?! Come on, now) but another OTC household cleaner that does not receive the attention it deserves is L.A. Totally Awesome (or LA-TA/LATA as its acronym is in this forum, which always throws me off because I just do NOT make the association with it). It`s an OK cleaner and for the price and performance, it`s hard to beat.
    So it you go to The Family Dollar or Dollar General store (they are everywhere, especially in rural/small town areas now) invest a few dollars in this cleaner. I bought the bigger 64 ounce refill bottle for about 4 dollars now (yes, inflation has set in at dollar stores, too).
    I use it in wheel wells after seeing fellow Autopian Justins00ss using it in his detailing of vehicles. Reference:
    2013 Ford Edge gets coated
    (see post #7)
    GB detailer
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not to steal or hi-jack this thread discussion, (RIIIGHT Captain Obvious!...with your forum reputation?! Come on, now) but another OTC household cleaner that does not receive the attention it deserves is L.A. Totally Awesome (or LA-TA/LATA as its acronym is in this forum, which always throws me off because I just do NOT make the association with it). It`s an OK cleaner and for the price and performance, it`s hard to beat.
    So it you go to The Family Dollar or Dollar General store (they are everywhere, especially in rural/small town areas now) invest a few dollars in this cleaner. I bought the bigger 64 ounce refill bottle for about 4 dollars now (yes, inflation has set in at dollar stores, too).
    I use it in wheel wells after seeing fellow Autopian Justins00ss using it in his detailing of vehicles. Reference:
    2013 Ford Edge gets coated
    (see post #7)
    Hi-jacking? Not really. I posted about a nontraditional way to clean interiors using common, household cleaners in a nontraditional way, you`re just doing the same.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to do a home brew, I`d use a mild cleaner like Woolite. I`d also use a rather mild APC or just buy an interior cleaner. Tons of options out there. I don`t think the wheels needs reinvented here.

Post Thanks / Like

I found another use for this cleaner - cleaning polisher pads. I gave my wife`s Escape its final "waxing" of the season yesterday and instead of applying the TW/To The Max Wax by hand, I decided to use my PC to see how it applied by machine. The results were great, the wax went on thinner and more even (duh) and I even used less product than hand application.

When I was done with the polisher and it was time to clean the pads, I figured `why not,` and used the laundry soap/APC mix. I soaked the pads with the cleaner and let them sit while I finished the car. When I was done, I massaged the cleaner-soaked pads a bit and blasted them with a full stream from the garden hose for a few minutes each. After they were `rinsed,` I squeezed the water out and it came out perfectly clear and I didn`t see or feel any wax at all on them. They are currently air drying in the garage and when they are dry, I will recheck them to make sure they are really clean.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    If you are going to do a home brew, I`d use a mild cleaner like Woolite. I`d also use a rather mild APC or just buy an interior cleaner. Tons of options out there. I don`t think the wheels needs reinvented here.
    Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just looking for a less expensive option. We have dogs, which means frequent cleanings of DIRTY interiors and I used about 16 ounces of the 32 ounce bottle, JUST to clean the plastics/vinyl in the wife`s car.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Your detailing care and visual appearance of your Darth Vader black Camaro using Turtle Wax`s Hybrid Solution products speak for themselves.
    You are kind of an "influencer" for-and-to myself concerning the use of TW-HS products, seeing I have a black 2006 Ford Freestyle.
    I have NEVER considered Turtle Wax a viable detailing product manufacturer since joining this forum, but did use their products in the 70`s and early 80`s when they were THE major most-available over-the-counter products on the market. I must say that TW has produced very good and affordable products with the Hybrid Solution line, enough from your experiences and reviews posted here in this forum to go out and buy and use them on my own vehicle. For hobbyist detailers who own daily driver vehicles, like myself, TW-HS products have produced acceptable results without breaking my "feeble" (AKA, economically restrained) detailing budget. Are there "better" products out there? Yes, maybe, like Mother`s Ceramic line, or Meguiars, or even Griot`s Garage that has become available over-the-counter. But for the money, TW-HS ain`t bad!
    GB detailer
    Likes Don liked this post
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don:
    Your detailing care and visual appearance of your Darth Vader black Camaro using Turtle Wax`s Hybrid Solution products speak for themselves.
    You are kind of an "influencer" for-and-to myself concerning the use of TW-HS products, seeing I have a black 2006 Ford Freestyle.
    I have NEVER considered Turtle Wax a viable detailing product manufacturer since joining this forum, but did use their products in the 70`s and early 80`s when they were THE major most-available over-the-counter products on the market. I must say that TW has produced very good and affordable products with the Hybrid Solution line, enough from your experiences and reviews posted here in this forum to go out and buy and use them on my own vehicle. For hobbyist detailers who own daily driver vehicles, like myself, TW-HS products have produced acceptable results without breaking my "feeble" (AKA, economically restrained) detailing budget. Are there "better" products out there? Yes, maybe, like Mother`s Ceramic line, or Meguiars, or even Griot`s Garage that has become available over-the-counter. But for the money, TW-HS ain`t bad!
    I have the same "feeble" budget as you LOL. I was into Meguiar`s since the late 80`s, because the shop I worked/trained in used Megs exclusively. Fast forward some years when I was detailing mainly my own cars, along with a few friends` cars, my abilities became much better and I was becoming dissatisfied with how "oily" ALL the Meguiar`s products seemed to be. Even the finishing waxes would leave oily streaks when removed.

That`s about the time when the Hybrid Solutions Lines came out. I`ll admit I fell into the "You Tube Influencer Trap" and watched everything I could find on Turtle Wax`s "new" line. PTO got me started with his video on Seal-N-Shine and I fell down the Turtle Wax rabbit hole once I tried the Hybrid Solutions products. Yes, the Hybrid Solutions line has it`s quirks, like the 2-step (damp towel/dry towel) removal, but in reality, I don`t find that it makes the job take any longer than products you just buff off, and the results speak for themselves.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thread Information