Post Thanks / Like

4 Products and 3 wheels - help me decide

The three vehicles…
    1. 2022 First Edition Ford Maverick - brands new black and silver wheels
    2. 2014 Lincoln Navigator - these wheels have had little attention pains to them even though we’ve owned it since new
    3. 2008 Last of Supercharged MINI Cooper convertible - my baby and definitely want to take care of these matte silver & black Night Spoke wheels*

The four products
    1. Gyeon Q2 Rim - bought this a while back to put on the MINI but haven’t been up to taking the wheels off, unopened and looks to be sound coating
    2. GTechniq c5 wheel armor - sent to me by a member (thanks Guz) and though opened still looks good in bottle.
    3. DLux - just bought with intention of putting on the Mav
    4. Bouncer’s wheel wax - had this unopened jar for quite a while

So how would you divide up what you put on what vehicle?

* the MINI is the only vehicle not going to wear a coating. I’ve been using my leftover sealants and waxes (mostly Opt stuff). The plan is to put CQUK 3.0 on Mav and replace CQUARTZ lite with CanCoat Evo when the Navigator is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 Products and 3 wheels - help me decide

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick and use 1 of each of your coatings per set of wheels and see how each do. Then you will have a timeline for all 3 to make future decisions easier. I am guessing 1 will work and be better than the others.

I would take the "Wheel Wax" and toss it...
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TroyScherer. On the sister site Guz responded with a strong preference for DLux. I’ll probably see how much of it I have after applying it to t(e Maverick then going to the other two depending on how much I have to do. Hardest part for me as a disabled detailer is removing the wheels*. Any tips to make the process easier?

*I will not be taking the wheels off the Navigator and just doing the wheel faces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Thanks TroyScherer. On the sister site Guz responded with a strong preference for DLux. I’ll probably see how much of it I have after applying it to t(e Maverick then going to the other two depending on how much I have to do. Hardest part for me as a disabled detailer is removing the wheels*. Any tips to make the process easier?

*I will not be taking the wheels off the Navigator and just doing the wheel faces.
    I know in other site Guz preferred DLUX but I have heard opposite vs wheel armor in a few places and Mike Phillips seem to really like C5.

I like troys Idea of trying both but performance on the C5 may be compromised since it’s been open for awhile now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Think the age (about a year) on the two products will probably swing me towards stretching the DLux as far as it will go.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t really have a good solution for removing and handling wheels if you don’t have all the tools or extra wheels available.

I have 2 sets of wheels so when I switch out wheels/tires based on the seasons I am then able to setup and clean, prep, coat the wheels.

I also have a full set of jack and jack stands that I could let my vehicles sit while doing the work. But I don’t really do that style very often. I have considered a quick jack style lift as I get older and have the ability to do that.

If you are going to simply do the faces and leave the wheels on then I would just do the process and make sure you apply a good amount of the coating. I am not a fan of trying to apply it super thin to try and stretch it out. A 50ml bottle will do 1 car for me not the 2-3 some people claim to get. I have found that doing that gives less than stellar long term results.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a nice Jack and stands. We don’t have a lot of need for winter tires here in the south plains so just one set. I too have looked at the quick jack but I do less and less of my own wrenching. I’d like to take the wheels off two of the vehicles (not the land yacht) and will make every effort to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

The MINI wheels are somewhat matte on the darker part. Are any of the coatings better for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I know in other site Guz preferred DLUX but I have heard opposite vs wheel armor in a few places and Mike Phillips seem to really like C5.

I like troys Idea of trying both but performance on the C5 may be compromised since it’s been open for awhile now.

Used them all and in based on my experience DLUX > Rim > C5. 22ple VM1 trumps them all.

I have a nice Jack and stands. We don’t have a lot of need for winter tires here in the south plains so just one set. I too have looked at the quick jack but I do less and less of my own wrenching. I’d like to take the wheels off two of the vehicles (not the land yacht) and will make every effort to do that.
    Do 2 wheels at a time. There is no rule that all of them need to be done in one day. The other solution is coat the faces and use something like hydro2 or wet coat on the inner barrels.

The MINI wheels are somewhat matte on the darker part. Are any of the coatings better for that?
    Any coating can be used on matte wheels. You may not get the same longevity but better to take care of the wheels.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Did a test spray of Gyeon’s iron removing wheel cleaner on one of the front wheels of the Mav. No sign of any iron reaction.

Thread Information