Post Thanks / Like

How do you use a Window Squeegee

This is a real post ;-)
    Not a LOL, look at this d*mmy who doesn`t know how to use a squeegee.

Maybe it`s just the stock rubber on it, but I presume/assume replacement rubber will be the same.
    In all things - garage nerd-, bought me a German made squeegee to go with my German fleet

Anyhow, the blade sits; into the -metal channel- and in my 1st use, I managed to touch the glass of the metal channel.
    New car too. I had a oh sh22tz moment but no scratching.
    So me thinking technique, tried again holding the angle higher, same thing....
    And the 3rd time, I was able to make a pass but I got squeamish and put the squeegee away

Either the stick blade just needs to me a 1/8 more of rubber so I won`t touch the glass with the metal channel holding or I am just doing it all wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you use a Window Squeegee

The only place I use squeegee on a routine basis is my shower. It`s a simple plastic one I bought at Ikea years ago, and I don`t have the bother with blade replacements. On a road trip I might use one in a gas station to get enough bugs or salt spray off the windows to drive safely, but that`s it.

If I`m dealing with exterior glass I`ll use MF towels to clean/dry them. Much easier/faster for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Dan, imported_Blake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Throwing the PMF guzzles it all up, but I have a new tool.....just need to know how to master this thing. `

And yes, those 1 pieces are all plastic/rubber so no - metal- issue like I have right now.
    I know, overcomplicating it.

I need to go into the garage to compare how much -rubber- to channel is on my *edited out* (apparently it`s best to only talk about brands Vision sells) on this sub
    Don`t recall having a issue with these on the house glass.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest. If you’re using it to clean your windows you are doing it wrong. Fine if you are on a road trip and want to minimize the crap on the windshield but if you’re detailing a car there are much better methods.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like

The the OP is not asking on how to clean windows.

It`s asking about -am I amiss- on how to use a simple device like a squeegee
    Holding it at 45, holding it at almost 90.....the channel on which the rubber sits it touches the glass.
    It should not be that complicated....unless the stock rubber I have is just a bit short on overall *depth* of rubber exposed relative to how it sits in the channel

Post Thanks / Like

While I absolutely use a squeegee (I`ve got 2 squeegee/scrubber kits I`ve bought at 2 of the big box hardware stores) for doing glass at home, I`ve not found either of them to work for automotive use as the design doesn`t contour well enough to match the glass on the car.

For the metal that supports the rubber, is one slightly longer than the other (IE: Looking at the top of the squeegee there`s 5mm of rubber exposed, looking from the bottom there`s 8mm)?

Another thing you could do is just throw some electrical tape on the metal closest to the glass (where you`ve made contact already). I did that on one of mine out of paranoia of the same thing (turns out, it never hits).

Otherwise I`d look at a squeegee that has more the gas station type design where there`s no metal support frame for the blade, the blade has more of a windshield wiper type design.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

COO. I know....AmaZon Chico or my German made one.

Just got me scratching my head here on what will be a expensive paperweight lesson but it must be the blade......or maybe it`s the contour.
    I`ll need to take the same squeegee and try it on a indoor window -flat glass-

Post Thanks / Like

What squeegee is it?

Autopia`s the house where you can discuss stuff not sold by PBMG so long as you`re not trying to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t post......the regulars here...

I DELETED another thread I started.....I was talking about other online stores that pbmg(now vision) doesn`t carry and different brands/lineups. It`s like even though vision is the OG around here.....there are so many other brands/products that I have started sourcing elsewhere just simply cause Vision doesn`t carry and I googled said brand and stumbled across these new popping auto detailing stores. I deleted the thread as so many forum members felt it was out of line, in which my take on this is that if one simply wants to talk about Vision stores only, then we should only talk about Vision products...

OHL. Off topic. How are things in INDY world
    Recent readings on ISTA 4 ....digital locks, etc - well, that`s where the market is trending.
    Strange times for Indys.
    Garage nerd here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I DELETED another thread I started.....I was talking about other online stores that pbmg(now vision) doesn`t carry and different brands/lineups. It`s like even though vision is the OG around here.....there are so many other brands/products that I have started sourcing elsewhere just simply cause Vision doesn`t carry and I googled said brand and stumbled across these new popping auto detailing stores. I deleted the thread as so many forum members felt it was out of line, in which my take on this is that if one simply wants to talk about Vision stores only, then we should only talk about Vision products...
    You know, I don`t care what squeegees you talk about, this is a squeegee thread. But when you start a thread about "hey, what other stores are there that are better than this one", that`s like going to a party at someone`s house, and asking the guests if they know any people who throw better parties than the host, that you can go to instead.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Can`t post......the regulars here...

OHL. Off topic. How are things in INDY world
    Recent readings on ISTA 4 ....digital locks, etc - well, that`s where the market is trending.
    Strange times for Indys.
    Garage nerd here
    OOOH, "The Regulars Here"....
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics:
    YOU deleted the thread about "other" detailing internet-online stores/resellers/distributors, not the Autopia admins or owners??
    I was wondering what happened to that thread and if it was something I said "wrong" or broke the forum rules by what I posted.

I am, indeed, wondering about your request on how to use a squeegee. i will make the Captain Obvious remark, "Come on, it cannot be that "difficult". Or what looks easy isn`t easy.
    Remember, this is coming from an Autopian who, when holding a hammer in his hand, you have roughly two objects with the same IQ!!!
    GB detailer

Thread Information