Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Uppin Up my Brush Tools

I only use like 4-5 brushes...

Wheel Brush (SW)
    Tire Brush - TufShine
    BHB - One exterior and One interior,
    Leather Brush (rarely used - probably Leather Masters Branded).

My YouTube feeds have been flooded with detailing shorts lately,
    All these synthetic brushes scrubbing door panels, steering wheels, whole consoles, whatever...and everything.

Which got me scratching a itch I probably don`t need

Is there any brushes I am missing that I don`t know about...
    I don`t own any of the synthetics but maybe I should see what it`s all about to keep up with the Joneses.

Hell...I swore I would not buy a pump sprayer after buying the large IK one........but somehow I have ordered 3 of the smaller pump sprayer recently

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uppin Up my Brush Tools

Not sure I’d call it a brush but after using it, I don’t feel the need to use brushes to “scrub” the interior any more. The Autoscrub Ninja or CarPro InnerScrub are more aggressive microfibers that clean really, really well. With P&S Express, I feel I’m able to get 90% of stains/dirt off of interior surfaces. Using one of those on a supposedly clean steering wheel was eye opening at how dirty the scrubber became.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t scrub interiors with a brush nor feel like I have needed it. My interiors are well maintained.....

Those u-tube shorts - brush on steering wheel, door card, console, cluster - I guess it`s great to make a video showing the brush lathering up everything.

On the steering wheel, this is my thing. I don`t like spreading hand oils from 3 o`clock to 9 o`clock.......
    So I literally use at least 8 towels to clean the steering wheel. I do 1 quadrant, then another and then after the 1st pass, a second pass of towels....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I don`t scrub interiors with a brush nor feel like I have needed it. My interiors are well maintained.....

Those u-tube shorts - brush on steering wheel, door card, console, cluster - I guess it`s great to make a video showing the brush lathering up everything.

On the steering wheel, this is my thing. I don`t like spreading hand oils from 3 o`clock to 9 o`clock.......
    So I literally use at least 8 towels to clean the steering wheel. I do 1 quadrant, then another and then after the 1st pass, a second pass of towels....
    Try a scrub ninja and I’ll bet you would be suprised on the dirt it picks up. It’s a type of microfiber so I don’t think it is as aggressive as some brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

For BHB type brushes I use WorkStuff. Therr albino whites are supersoft but clean well. Built better than most too.

If your not using wheel barrel brushes I like wheel woolies over The speed master type brushes.

For tire dressing these make up brushes are popular

I actually don’t like applying dressing with them, uses too much product. I do like leveling the tire with it. Nice even shine and gets into all the little grooves.

Also second the scrub ninjas for deep interior cleaning.

For wheels I feel the same that a BHB detailing brush is too much work. I like the bigger wheel woolies BH wheel face brush

Wheel Woolies Boars Hair Wheel Brush

Post Thanks / Like

I have BHB face brush but for those application, I prefer to use a old dreadlock MF mitt to deal with the 1st pass, before I take the SW brush to brush it down. Don`t really use that style of brush much in how I prefer to clean wheels,

I have WW - all 3 sizes. It`s great for manual inside barrel clean.
    My favorite, albeit messy and I forgot what it`s call - is drill attached - fiber rods with these -flaps- sewen onto the rods. It`s messy as F but due to design, the flaps fit great in my applications (big rotors, BBK, etc) and cleans well....although this drill power ----slinging flap---- is not for everyone...

Now that I just broken down how I clean wheels with what preferred tools, PW tends to get them clean enough without needing tools. It`s just the faces need the mechanical touch to remove the surface film regardless

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings= crack- Thanks for mentioning the Workstuff BHBs! Nest time I need small cylindrical ones (well...if I ever do wear out my current ones it`ll be a surprise) I`ll put those on my short-list.

And yeah, the WW BHB for wheels is simply great! Much better than the ones from Universal Brush (who still make the best "regular" BHBs, at least AFAIK).
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been looking for a tire applicator and after trying many things, I think I finally found one I like. I have used Duragloss 253 but tried a few different tire dressings recently but think I’ll go back to DG 253. I tried the little makeup brush Accumulator showed, which I think works well enough but is too small and takes longer to use. I also tried various applicators, ones with handles, ones that are cloth-wrapped sponges, etc. But the one I just started using and really like so far is actually the 3” brush from those tire dressing supply tanks (Swabby). The 3” brush is expensive but the bristles are stiff enough that they allow me to control where product is going better than the flag-tipped brush I was using. I can get into the small lip between the rim and some tires without some bristles going everywhere. I can also squish the bristles together when spraying to use less dressing. This smaller brush works well for lower profile tires but I’ll still keep the flag-tipped brush for larger truck tires.

9FCAD611-E320-4034-9475-1278C68F395E.jpeg9925022A-924E-44ED-8385-02805AC14E87.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

I like stiff nylon bristle toothbrushes for scrubbing carpets places that are hard to get at and vinyl floor mats that have weird contours or deep indentations.
    Repurposed old tooth brushes have their place in my detailing arsenal. I like using them as an applicator for trim restorer/protectant on front grill plastic that may be hard to get at with a foam or microfiber pad.
    If you saw the toothbrush I use for dry-brushing as I vacuum, it has bristles so worn in the front part of it. I found it at a flea market for a quarter.
    Must be about 8 years old by now and looks it, but it cleans so well (at least the back bristles!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve tried a lot of applicators over the decades. This Carrand Brush is the best I`ve ever used. You can get the bristles behind the lip of the rim and never get a lick on the rim. Slick as can be. At $6 it`s cheap, you`d probably need to try it to believe how easy it is. It also has a little shroud that slides forward on the brush to keep the bristles from getting beat up when not in use.

Carrand.jpg

Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicators - 2 Pack
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes dgage, Stokdgs, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I have BHB face brush but for those application, I prefer to use a old dreadlock MF mitt to deal with the 1st pass, before I take the SW brush to brush it down. Don`t really use that style of brush much in how I prefer to clean wheels,

I have WW - all 3 sizes. It`s great for manual inside barrel clean.
    My favorite, albeit messy and I forgot what it`s call - is drill attached - fiber rods with these -flaps- sewen onto the rods. It`s messy as F but due to design, the flaps fit great in my applications (big rotors, BBK, etc) and cleans well....although this drill power ----slinging flap---- is not for everyone...

Now that I just broken down how I clean wheels with what preferred tools, PW tends to get them clean enough without needing tools. It`s just the faces need the mechanical touch to remove the surface film regardless
    Sw brush?

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of similar ones are on the marker these days C&C
    SwissVax Brush.

I have a few....this was all bought in the -old stool- autopia days of $$-$$$$$ nuba applications.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about re-purposing make-up/cosmetic brushes and picture-painting brushes as well. I have some boar-hair bristle brushes that are actually a child`s first-time plastic-handled painting brush and look more like a mini-parts cleaning brush with a "guard" around the bristle cluster to make it easier for small hands to grip the brush without getting into the bristles, one small and one large in size. Works great on door hinges or cup holder recesses and yes, another garage/rummage sale procured purchase for a dollar for the pair. Had to epoxy-glue the bristle clusters back in the plastic handle, as they were not designed for strong APC/De-greaser cleaners.
    I also have some long-handled small painting brushes that are actually brushes designed for cleaning IBM punch-card machines (early 70`s data- entry mechanical method). They work great for cleaning the bottom of the interior edge between the dash and sever-angled front windshield (think van) or rear window bottom edge to get out dead insects or animal and human hair that gets blown and stuck there that you cannot reach or suck out with ANY vacuum nozzle.
    One thing I find with cosmetic-type brushes are that the finer bristles are not very stiff and that they do not like sever pressure sometimes needed for mechanical brushing agitation and tend to flatted out. That and as stated above, the adhesives used to retain the bristle clusters into the brush holes/holder do not stand up to some stronger APCs/De-greaser cleaners and they may fall out. Then again, for a rummage sale price of 25 cents to 50 cents, they are almost a used-them-once and throw `em away (AKA disposable)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t take credit for the makeup applicator idea; I use a tire-slime applicator I got from TOL that has replaceable pads. Then I wipe off the excess with an old MF.

Post Thanks / Like

I am bumping (AKA, re-activating) this thread topic because I need to know more about brushes that my fellow Autopians use for detailing.

I do wish that E-Z Detail Brush, and Speed Master for that matter, would make smaller cone shaped or cylindrical-shaped brushes with bristles at the bottom of them in a ball-or half-sphere at the bottom(think test-tube or bottle brushes) and different tooth-brush-like brushes with their proprietary bristle brush material using a smaller, thinner bristle on some of these requested new-design brushes. Guess I can dream....

One brush I have found that I do use a a lot is this one offered by the Autopia Store:
    Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush
    I use it for brushing carpets using Dave Fermani`s brush-and-vacuum technique for vacuuming carpets. Works great. The down-side is the natural bristle material will come out in time and if it is used for scrub brushing with a water-soluble cleaner, the wooden handle will crack over time, especially if left in a bucket of water-and-cleaner solution for extended periods of time. The common sense fix or solution (pun intended) to this "problem" is NOT let it sit in the bucket. I think I`ve gone through three (3) of these types of brushes, so if you consider getting one, buy two (2) at the same time. A back-up brush is cheap.

Question 1:
    Does anyone have any experience with this SpeedMaster two brush set that looks like over-sized make-up brushes Or something similar?
    Speed Master 2 Piece Interior Brush Set
    I see YouTube videos of detailers using this style for shampooing and cleaning interior vinyl and some leather material and just wonder how well they work.

Question 2:
    Does anyone use the optional brushes kit available for a Rupes I-Brid mini-polisher for orbital scrub-brush cleaning (I think you need to use it in the orbital mode ONLY) and if so, how well do they work?
    (Always been tempted to use the poor-man`s version of this and find a battery-powered machine brush at a rummage/garage/yard sale)

Question 3:
    Does anyone use pet hair brushes or pumice stones for pet hair removal during vacuuming and what specific manufacturer`s brush and/or stone are you using??

Question 4:
    Does anyone use a flat-bottomed felt material-covered iron-type hand brush for cleaning leather?
    These are supposedly "the Bomb" for deep-cleaning softer grained fine leather.
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information