Post Thanks / Like

Full WRAP Vehicles - Detailing Regimine

1st FULL Wrap PPF owner here.

Just short of edges *my install is all tucked for the most part*. Have yet to pick her up but I expect some pieces on the front bumper may be seamed/cut to edge/no wrapped due to the trim/curves/various profiling of it.

Anyhow, just shot of being careful with a pressure washer or even omitting the use of it, I still plan to keep it sealed and if not *more sealed* since PPF is porous IMO.
    The self healing aspect would be interesting to see/own in real life usage.
    I`ve had rockers, bumpers, etc done in the past but never a full on wrap.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Full WRAP Vehicles - Detailing Regimine

Not much different than any regimen aside from:

1. Use 45 degree (white generally) on pressure washer. Keep at least about 12” away, be mindful of edges/seams. There will be seams/edges at body panel “junctions”, under rocker panels…you’ll find ‘em.

2. Don’t use waxes or ‘creamy’ LSP’s to avoid buildup in seams/edges.

3. I’ve never needed Tar remover but I’d guess you’d want to use sparingly. Iron Remover…have at it w same precautions as with paint; don’t do in sun, don’t let it dry on panel, etc.

4. Dunno if yours is ceramic coated or not; if you decide to coat it yourself choose a very forgiving coating…high spots on PPF are a real drag.

Like you, on our first PPF’d car I was worried about it being overly porous but it’s really not an issue…aside from common sense I really don’t ‘baby’ it in any way…although I did at first until I figured out it’s really some pretty tough stuff.

I probably treat our PPF’d cars with a little less care than paint only cars…PPF is there to make my life easier and it indeed does just that. Takes a while to get used to the fact that it’s not really that fragile but it comes eventually.

I’ve got one done w STEK Dynoshield & one done with XPEL Ultimate…both equally enjoyable.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes Lonnie, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

981. I`ve vetted my chosen installer but honestly, I`d 50/50 scared sh1tless. There is a certain trust factor going into this......presuming there are no nicks - hidden under the film.

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics: (Love the nickname/moniker/logon title)
    Captain Obvious `because I am nosy" questions:
    1) What make and model and color vehicle is this wrap on?
    2) What manufacturer and trade name PPF material did you (or the installer) pick out and use?
    3) Who (company name or detailing entity/business) did the PPF installation/wrap?
    4) When you get this vehicle back for the installer, would you let us Autopians know what you think about both the PPF material and the installation workmanship quality?
    5) After 981 Caymen S`s admonition, what specific LSP/coating DO you plan on using over this PPF?
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    981. I`ve vetted my chosen installer but honestly, I`d 50/50 scared sh1tless. There is a certain trust factor going into this......presuming there are no nicks - hidden under the film.
    Indeed, the trust (or lack thereof) that you have in the installer can make it a wonderful adventure...or a period of skittish apprehension!

The greatest thing an installer can do for you is align your expectations with reality; much like ceramic coatings, the Interwebs can set some unrealistic expectations.

"The best installation is where all panels possible are disassembled and the edges wrapped."
    "The best installation is where bulk film is used everywhere and custom cut on the car"
    "The best installation is where there is not a single seam or edge to be found anywhere on the car"

Like anything, PPF is a balance of pros and cons; generally the pros far outweigh the cons if you are moderately concerned about your car`s appearance (especially if you drive the car regularly).

Overall, my thoughts are that excellence in PPF installation comes in knowing not just what to do but perhaps more importantly, knowing what *not* to do. While there are plenty of areas where it would appear that aggressive heating, stretching and wrapping would result in the ‘aesthetically optimal’ final product, overdoing those methods can lead to various distortions in the film, edges that release over time and rubbing where panel edges meet; your PPF should remain just as secure in the coming years as it is the day you leave the shop.

Suffice it to say that there are likely no PPF`d cars winning a prestigious Concours d`Elegance, and the reason for that isn`t just maintaining originality. For those of us who live and drive in the real world though, PPF (IMO) is a great way to go...and yet not for everyone because we`re all different.

I hope you enjoy your experience with PPF as much as I do mine!
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

981 Cayman S:
    THANK YOU for that above information about PPF installation and expectations.
    You and your employer (Esoteric Detail) have a wealth of experience with PPF installation and your personal real-world experiences with PPF`d vehicles gives credibility to your posted judgments and statements.

I have long predicted and postulated that vehicle manufacturers in the very-near future will paint all vehicles white base-coat with NO clear coat to meet forth-coming federal government-mandated environmental "world concerns" and then wrap them in a plethora of pallet colors or hues or even in unique model geometric designs and model insignia`s and striping at the factory assembly line as chosen by the customer as a factory-build order option or by the dealer for their inventory to sell/lease off-the-lot. This may allow an owner to change the color of their vehicle down the line without the need for repainting OR a new owner/dealer to do the same thing.
    The problems with this approach are self-evident:
    1) The lifespan of a PPF is limited to 3-5 years compared to real clear-coated paint that will last several years if properly maintained.
    2) Stocking such PPF color hues and designs by the manufacturer (IE inventory costs)
    3a) Having trained installers of PPF to do this post-production installation, whether at the dealer, body shop, or specialized PPF installer business.
    3b) Repairing vehicle accident damage and having to match OEM PPF designs, colors, hues down the road IF OEM`s no longer make and stock that particular PPF.
    3c) Auto Insurance companies covering and paying for such repairs and what impact it may have on owner/leasee premiums.
    GB detailer
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie -

While colored PPF is not mainly in the US market, there are some colored PPF I am aware of overseas. Longevity, durability, etc to be said. Re post #6, I don`t see any indicators manuf. will be wrapping vehicles for color.......but I`ll keep your post in mind.

Lots to unpack on PPF in general. The cost is regional like labor costs, but out here, it starts at 7 and goes up north from there. That does not include the cost for polishing - whether it be new car polishing or 1-2 stage polishing. Some/many, which I disagree, offer to put a coating onto for another $1K++. I`m not sure what camp I sit in - a auto detail shop to do a full wrap or a vinyl wrap shop. Vinyl wrap shop guys to - some degree- are more seasoned when doing bulk installs vs. cookie cutter plot PPF. Bulk installs = more blade cutting....That`s like another thread in itself. There is a long laundry list from pricing to installer, to type of install - bulk vs plot vs hybrid, etc. The PPF material is expensive and full wrap is ROI best determined by the owner...it`s not like the 8K+++ spent will add the value on a trade in, or vroom, carvana, etc sale. It *may* add some value to a private buyer, but only in a *specific sale*. Like I said, lots to unpack on the topic on a full wrap IMO, just due to sheer costs...relative to the vehicle itself. I see many posts on full wrap+ceramic coated and I`m saying ....that coatings don`t last as long on plastic than they do on paint. So why a honest tradesmen in the craft should know and know to """not sell""" a coating on a wrap job.

Time to get off my soapbox...but there is alot to this whole PPF thing in general.
    Lotsa pro detailers focus on wraps these days and correction is taking a backseat

re: bullet # 1 `real clear-coated paint that will last several years if properly maintained"
    One of the main reasons I went full wrap. Water based paint just suck these days.........

Post Thanks / Like

981. Post #5. Let me expand further on -trust-. I once removed film off my car due to getting hit and it needing bodywork. The shop that did the install is well regarded, generally has a -few mil- of cars in value in the shop. They have stopped taking on new customer accounts...as they are that busy/booked.

Anyhow, in the film that was removed, there was paint that was cut. Unbeknowsgt and I would have never known if the film wasn`t removed. From that singular observation, I swore off PPF for the cars.

Fast forward 2022. Lease rates suck. Bought outright. Don`t expect to keep it for more than 3-4 years but I like my things clean, shiny and chip free. Water based paint suck ......
    Had some extra rainy day funds. Was also interested to see how self healing relative to having kids....fingers always running on panels. So that`s we`re where at
    Likes dgage, 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    981. Post #5. Let me expand further on -trust-. I once removed film off my car due to getting hit and it needing bodywork. The shop that did the install is well regarded, generally has a -few mil- of cars in value in the shop. They have stopped taking on new customer accounts...as they are that busy/booked.

Anyhow, in the film that was removed, there was paint that was cut. Unbeknowsgt and I would have never known if the film wasn`t removed. From that singular observation, I swore off PPF for the cars.
    Steady is the hand that can cut through 8mil *anything* without disturbing the surface underneath. Given the elasticity of PPF, some pressure on the blade is required, I’m not sure that hand exists with any consistency!

Fast forward 2022. Lease rates suck. Bought outright. Don`t expect to keep it for more than 3-4 years but I like my things clean, shiny and chip free. Water based paint suck ......
    Had some extra rainy day funds. Was also interested to see how self healing relative to having kids....fingers always running on panels. So that`s we`re where at
    Therein lies the true value proposition of PPF…do it for yourself, not the next guy. The next guy likely doesn’t care much less be willing to pay extra for it!

Always found this informative: Paint Protection Film (PPF): The Unspoken Details Many Consumers Aren’t Told | Ask a Pro Blog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Just read the link. On that page, it mentions PPF forms a -superbond- when it goes past usable shelf life.

I can see how PPF can lift clear or paint if a panel was resprayed.

However, I can`t correlate PPF lifting paint due to it creating a -superbond- once past manuf life.
    Prior to install/install - I can see how PPF has a shelf life in the box just due to shelf life of the adhesive
    But once it`s been applied - that *adhesive*, for lack of a better word has been exposed/used.

Off to do a deeper dive, but the superbond due to prolonged film installed on paint has perked my *OCD need to know read* again

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic or on topic. As another datapoint. This may be the last ICE car I have. I am thinking about adding one more ICE car to the fleet since it`s all sunsetting....
    Sunsetting along with physical buttons where consoles are turning into full iPads from Drivers to Center to Passenger. No more HVAC buttons, etc - I digress......

So indeed the PPF was there to preserve the paint in case it becomes my ICE keepers....

Lonnie posted about car manuf. not painting and wrapping

Consoles are going in a direction in which I don`t prefer
    Likes dgage liked this post

Thread Information