Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coatings and bird bombs

Curious how you all are dealing with bird bombs on your ceramic coated vehicles. I’ve got Adam’s Graphene Coating on my Acura RDX. It’s been great EXCEPT for bird bomb etching. My car got splattered with bird crap at work today. It sat out in the 95 degree sun all afternoon and baked it in. When I got home, I cleaned it up but everywhere there was a speck of bird stuff, it left a crater.

I had to chase every spot with the iBrid nano and compound. This minimized the craters but did not remove them. I’m not sure if this etching is confined to the coating layer or if it’s gone through to the clear coat. Presumably, I’m having a hard time removing this due to the hardness of the coating. That’s good news for my clearcoat. It’s nice and protected. But these craters are an eyesore and will need to be removed.

Do I have to buff each spot more aggressively than I already have (3D One, blue Rupes foam pad) to cut through the coating, potentially into my clear, just to remove these? Then of course it’s a matter of refining the clear with a polish and then topping off the coating in every spot. These were not your typical bird bombs. These birds had avian diarrhea and made a mess all over the car.

Before I was using a coating, bird bombs were an issue but were easier to remedy. I can’t be the only one who’s had this issue. Am I making it harder than it needs to be?

Ceramic coatings and bird bombs-22bcd612-045c-4068-b96e-157e33111aa9.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coatings and bird bombs

Could just be in the coating. You would have to polish or compound to see if it correctable. In some instances, letting the coating sit in the sun can resolve itself.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The picture is after going as aggressive as I felt like tonight. The next step would be a microfiber pad and compound, which would mean a two step in every spot. Probably 30 spots total. Then of course re-coating all those spots.

What a pain in the you know what.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I would defer to The Guz`s judgement, but IMO that`s definitely into the clear, the coating is too thin to show that up. Look`s like Adam`s Graphene fails the bird bomb test.
    Likes TGates liked this post

Thread Information