Post Thanks / Like

WWYD - Product Offgassing on Glass

I`m a minimalist when it comes to interiors. I use H20 ALOT and just cockpit on some parts I want a little pizazz leftover.

For a leather dashboard.....that is uncoated leather but the good stuff.
    I`m sorta 50/50 on using anything for a conditioner, etc as the heat/sun (it is a dashboard after all), that stuff will offgas into the glass which = more cleaning.

WWYD. H20 or use *product*

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WWYD - Product Offgassing on Glass

I kind of liked the Wolfgang Cockpit Trim Sealant, since it`s more of a WOWA sealant than a dressing. I imagine the Ultima Interior Guard Plus was similar, but I think they changed the Ultima to a water-based formula when they did that with the Tire & Trim Guard Plus. I haven`t used the Ultima so I`m just speculating about it. Anyway, I haven`t noticed a lot of fogging from the Wolfgang, and I would expect the Ultima to be similar in that respect since it`s the same idea (sealant vs. dressing).

Post Thanks / Like

I would want a little protection for the leather against heat. Don’t know if I’d use a spray and wipe type product but would condition every 6-12 months.

I personally would use a QD with some UV protection. Adam’s maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One more to add for the dataset. Windshield will have ceramic tint. Don`t have all the specs but it`s around 92% IR rejection, 99% UV rejection. I`m hoping/thinking with this tint, it will reduce dash temps -considerably-

I`ve got Colourlock Protect on hand.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What you have NOT told us is the color of the leather. Because some colors like black or dark grey tend to product higher interior temperatures, I`d protect it with ColourLok Protect.

As far as gassing off and cleaning the "fog/film" it leaves on glass, buy some CarPro Clarity glass cleaner and use that as needed. I see that as a necessary evil, especially with newer vehicles that will do this. This is just a by-product of interior heat, hence my reference to interior color.

Also like the fact you are tinting your front windshield, which tells me you live in an area that has more sunshine or high heat. Never heard of a "ceramic" tint, but I guess that IS the buzzword these days.
    GB detailer
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The color is somewhere along orange brown....google tarfuto leather

It`s not a buzzword on ceramic tint. It`s been around for awhile.
    There is a difference in how it works however.....

It works even at 70% film....for those that don`t want any dye/color/darkness added to any windows.

It stops the heat from transferring past the film.
    I don`t see it as a issue on windshield or door panels
    However, I`m 50/50 on it on sunroof. What basically happens due to this type of film, is that the glass get`s -super hot- now as the heat is stopped on the film level. Nothing get`s past it
    The lighter you keep it 70/50%, there is still some **solar energy** being transmitted past the film. But anything darker than 50%, the #`s on SE creep up.
    Anything darker, it`s literally a brick wall.
    I`ve been debating this subject on how it works in my mind as such.....relative to -heat soaked glass-, and the fact it`s a full panorama sunroof. Ultimately I decided on 50%. Still light enough to let ***some solar energy*** pass through - eh, if the sunroof explodes, it comes with the territory

I`ve got a few too many sprayaway cans, but Clarity is on my my (FOTM) list when I eventually use up my Sprayaway

Post Thanks / Like

I just use my usual Interior QDs: Meguiar`s or the 1Z/NextZett (haven`t tried my GG yet). If I were worried about the heat causing damage, I`d just toss a towel/etc. on the dash when parking outside for extended periods or use a windshield shield/barrier.
    Likes William_Wallace, CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

303 seemed to leave heaviest fog film when I used to use. Then tried a gallon of opti interior another massive 60 dollar disappointment from opti, nextzett is a neat product when you are looking for nothing left behind. I now use meguiars M40 but it has shine to it and it cleans. Have tried TW inside job it’s been good at not leaving streak on screens and shiny black plastic doesn’t clean as well as M40 but leaves less shine. For me I like the shine look not dripping wet but I like enough shine I can tell it on there. No gassing product with either.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

On real leather I`d use Leather Honey Cleaner or Zaino Z9 Leather in a Bottle.
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Zaino - What`s that ;-)

I think I still have a bottle of Z16 somewhere - love the look it gave on my tires...
    You just made me look on zbros - to see if anything new on the site ;-)

When I get the car bar, going to see what the IR temp gun reads on the dash with the car sitting in the sun with the new *windowshield tinted*
    Have had plenty of glass tinted but never windshield.
    Then once I have a baseline of what the temps readings are, do the same with a Sunshade and see if there is a 10F temp differential or 25+F temp differential ..

Post Thanks / Like

ONR wipe down periodically. I strictly use a rinseless wash now for interios either ONR or currently Ech2o. You can add a bit of Optimum Protectant Plus to ONR. Protectant Plus is a nice multi purpose cleaner/protectant. It`s also sometimes called Leather Protectant. Same stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    The color is somewhere along orange brown....google tarfuto leather

It`s not a buzzword on ceramic tint. It`s been around for awhile.
    There is a difference in how it works however.....

It works even at 70% film....for those that don`t want any dye/color/darkness added to any windows.

It stops the heat from transferring past the film.
    I don`t see it as a issue on windshield or door panels
    However, I`m 50/50 on it on sunroof. What basically happens due to this type of film, is that the glass get`s -super hot- now as the heat is stopped on the film level. Nothing get`s past it
    The lighter you keep it 70/50%, there is still some **solar energy** being transmitted past the film. But anything darker than 50%, the #`s on SE creep up.
    Anything darker, it`s literally a brick wall.
    I`ve been debating this subject on how it works in my mind as such.....relative to -heat soaked glass-, and the fact it`s a full panorama sunroof. Ultimately I decided on 50%. Still light enough to let ***some solar energy*** pass through - eh, if the sunroof explodes, it comes with the territory

I`ve got a few too many sprayaway cans, but Clarity is on my my (FOTM) list when I eventually use up my Sprayaway
    IF this ceramic tinting offers all these anti-heating/temperature reduction for vehicle interiors, WHY wouldn`t some vehicle manufacturers collaborate with an auto glass manufacturer to build this feature into glass and offer it as an option, (albeit expensive); kind of like Transition Lenses in eye glasses, only for a vehicle. I could see this as "standard equipment" on those vehicles being sold in USA`s southern states.

On a related note about tinted windows, you know how "dark" some vehicle tinting can get; enough to inhibit or prevent the visibility of its driver and passengers, as well as their "activities" within the vehicle. Our city of Green Bay Police Department has made a public statement that vehicles with such tinting WILL be stopped and issued warnings for this tinting to have it removed. Failure to do so a second time will result in a citation. It`s a public safety issue. Some see this as "more police intrusion on one`s rights to privacy". Personally I see it as a safety issue and if police cannot identify a driver who is driving a vehicle, then, yes, the "too dark" tinting needs to be removed. So far I have not heard how much enforcement of this "police policy" is being done this summer by the city of Green Bay police department or if there are any court cases contesting this policy.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Said film has been in automotive windshields for as long as 2 decades + or that`s as far as I can remember. It may not have been ceramic at that time but if you ever seen a -high/higher- end car with a faint blue/purplish tint to it (a bit more pronounced if wearing polarized sunglasses), the film **may be stock** to the windshield. I`ve had windshields also replaced throughout the years, and when dealing with the glass shops, whether I am going OE or OEM......glass shops have had the SKU for both in OE or OEM in their system for order.

The only thing new I would say is while I reference the 2 decades + film in windshields (it may have been metallic as you can tell with telltale cutouts on the top and bottom center to allow for radar/toll tag allowance).

Re: Post #6. Do note Solar Energy. IMO, anything darker than 50% get`s a bit tricky on sunroofs - hot debate I suppose. Just because of how large sunroofs are these days....the flex it takes the chassis, and the fact that heat doesn`t dissipate, may get real really really Super Hot , especially being up top and now this *brick wall* not letting heat dissipate.

Post Thanks / Like

On BMW real leather dash....Leatherique!

Thread Information