Post Thanks / Like

Hot Glue to MicroFiber Wrap a Windshield SunShade

Call me crazy or please offer up a better alternative...

Tinted Windshield
    Tint is easy to scratch

Windshield Sunshade.
    It will -potentially- scratch the Sunshade over time due to how it gets put in place, removed - a bit awkward to navigate in/out ......

I am thinking about cutting out strips of old large MF towels and then using hot glue to make my own MF band around the SunShade to overcome this potential scratching issue.
    Dumb Idea ? Or does someone have a better idea...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hot Glue to MicroFiber Wrap a Windshield SunShade

The only concern I have with that is that over time the microfiber might get contaminants (easily) and cause the very scratching you’re trying to avoid. I might suggest some Plastidip that is used to repair tool handles. But it also depends on the sunshade, I’m not sure the Plastidip would stay adhered if it is one of those sun shields that folds down by contorting over on itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Man I`m impressed with the tinted windshield folks. I`d be so scared a lawyer would eat that up in any accident...

Anyway... check out E6000, it`s an awesome flexible craft glue. I use it a lot on hobby stuff. I occasionally get it on my clothes. You can`t get it out of fabric. I think it would work great for your sunshade.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s 70% - while not clear, if you hold it up against most stock glass, it may be just as clear if not clearer..
    The difference or the gain for the install is heat reduction. Haven`t done any benchmark readings bit it can be a easy 75F less in sun soak temp reduction...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    It`s 70% - while not clear, if you hold it up against most stock glass, it may be just as clear if not clearer..
    The difference or the gain for the install is heat reduction. Haven`t done any benchmark readings bit it can be a easy 75F less in sun soak temp reduction...
    Oh I’m not judging, I’d love to have it for that exact reason. Just saying I’d fear it being used against me. The ticket is NBD.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3M Crystalline, which is heat-rejecting ceramic tint and I’ve lowered my window in July to place an order at the drive thru and I’m all of a sudden hit by a wave of incredible heat. Then after ordering, I put the window up and no more heat. Ceramic heat-rejecting tint is amazing and a required essential of any car belonging to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never had a tinted windshield with high specs.
    Previous cars have has similar tint - laminated between the glass though and I have felt the difference.
    Who knows. I`ll have to run a day with and without sunshade and see how much of a differential is there with a temp gun, after windshield install.
    Regardless, I`m sure with the SunShade with with the high performance tint, it will still be better-lower in temps than without

Thread Information