Thread: Foam Pad ROT

Post Thanks / Like

Foam Pad ROT

I don`t use alot of products with leather....

Got some Colourlock Protect in and decided to grab out a foam pad out of my -consumables applicators/pads- that I don`t use...
    A wild guess is the round foam pad out of a Souveran can.

Anyhow, in feel, the applicator was fine but it was definitely past it`s prime. Dunno what to call it so I called it the tire analogy - dry rot.
    When using the applicator with product not he seats, the applicator keep on breaking down/dusting/flecking the entire seat with it`s yellow foam.

Haven`t seen this before but on the flop side.....I`m a huge proponent that nothing is forever....especially with auto detailing chems..
    Even though I bit the Costco mentality and for 2X more in price, I get like 5X more.....Just did this recently when buying stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Pad ROT

I have similar issues. The meguiars yellow ones keep on going for me. I have some that are over a decade old. Not sure why I keep them around though, I very rarely use them.

Post Thanks / Like

It also depends on certain chemicals. I’ve had them completely dissolve when trying to use foam applicators with certain products.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent POV dgage. It wasn`t on my radar it could have been the product. I have only briefed one Colourlock video and should probably watch it...but I sorta kinda recall their stuff has no solvents, yada, yada.
    Maybe it`s not the pad but the product interaction with the pad. These pads are -old- though.
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Since I never throw stuff away (OK, I`m getting over that ) I experience aged-pad-rot. I just ran across a bunch of old (and I mean 20th century) Cyclo pads that went bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure I may have some Cycle pads in my -don`t use but maybe one day stash....for sure I have the MF botties that made to go on the pad--

I guess it`s a sign I need purge even further

I still have plenty of those cotton covered lexol rounds somewhere

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm....Maybe I should throw all the foam pads out....
    The OP with the foam sponge was new...

I just went deep down into this *bin* and found my zip locked carnauba pad applicators in ziplock. Probably not washed but labeled Souveran, Crystal Rock, etc.
    Each one in it`s own separate baggie - it`s the - yellow round CCS jeweling applicator foam pads. All of them are totally -dry rotted-. The more I move them in the bag, the more they crumble....

I have soooooo many polishing pads. I`m going to have to check them now just to see if they also exhibit similar issues.
    All stored in climate controlled environment...
    Likes dgage liked this post

Thread Information