Post Thanks / Like

White canvas top `63 Corvair

This is my first exposure to a canvas top vehicle and I am not sure how to clean it.
    Once cleaned I will protect it with 303.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: White canvas top `63 Corvair

I realized its vinyl and not fabric like Porsche.

Post Thanks / Like

No Ragg Topp products in my arsenal, just 303 cleaners and protectants that I use on Porsches.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m guessing that`s not the original top.

If you`ve got the 303 cleaners the AUTOMOTIVE TONNEAU COVER & CONVERTIBLE TOP CLEANER says right on it you can use it on vinyl tops, if you have the multi-surface cleaner I imagine you should be able to use that. I`m not sure if you are asking for a suggestion for something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I`m guessing that`s not the original top.

If you`ve got the 303 cleaners the AUTOMOTIVE TONNEAU COVER & CONVERTIBLE TOP CLEANER says right on it you can use it on vinyl tops, if you have the multi-surface cleaner I imagine you should be able to use that. I`m not sure if you are asking for a suggestion for something else.
    Yes, I wanted to hear for the most effective product to clean the top.
    Yes, not original.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a vinyl top as you state, you will need a vinyl-specific cleaning product.
    What you have not told us is how old the top may be and what condition is it in.
    Is it a dull grey because dirt, road-traffic film, and/or natural debris like tree sap and pollen have become embedded in the vinyl top grain? Or do you have a specific area or areas that some type of stain that may be impossible to remove, like road tar specks or pine-tree sap that are on the top and have discolored the white vinyl?

My one suggestion is to use an Oxy-clean type cleaner to brighten the top first and get out the deep-seated gunk that may be graying the vinyl. OR use steam.I would not use a pressure washer, as this may force water into and between the seams and into the car, but you can decide this for yourself if you are more judicious in the pressure and where you point it.

One area that I find with older tops that are troublesome are the seams themselves. They tend to hold water and are fertile breeding grounds for mold and mildew. This is more true of canvas/fabric tops, BUT if this vehicle sits outside and is parked in shaded area, like carport without walls, the hot and humid summer temps can wreak havoc on tops if not properly cared for. I think that 303 makes a specific cleaner just for RV awnings to remove mold and mildew, but that RV awning material is more fabric-like than vinyl. I`ve used a stiff-bristle tooth brush and PLEASE don`t laugh, Mold Armor Patio Furniture Cleaner (WM Barr & Co. Inc.; Memphis,TN) to clean seams on a vinyl landau (fixed covering) roof top. It`s what I had on hand.

Let us know what specific cleaning problems you are facing with this particular white vinyl top and how you resolved them.
    If you have problems, I am sure other Autopians will run into them as well, and we can all learn together.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

The top doesn`t appear very old - actually pretty good condition, has a couple of small holes that looks like someone tried to patch it. It looks like its been garaged. Fit is not all that great but its okay and did not appear to leak when I washed it down. Not grey and not pure white. No mold or mildew. Used a stiff nylon brush along the seams and cleaned up well. Used 303 vinyl cleaner along with Meguiars car shampoo for some stubborn area, mainly seams. Treated it with 303 UV protectant. Came out well, not dramatic results as it was in good condition.

Thread Information