Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating PPF

I`m aware there are some ppf specific coatings out there. If we ignore that and just say any and ceramic coatings as general verbiage....

IMO nothing really stays on PPF for long when applied. Taking delivery of a new acquisition and alot of reputable places are offering PPF and coatings ontop. We`re talking at least 7.5K + on a full wrap and another 1K ontop for the topper. Upsell aside, what am I amiss. Kinda surprised just short of -green-, that a topper is being proposed. Haven`t been to a pro shop in quite some time but looks like many have steered away from correction and have gone to wrapping...
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating PPF

I have Xpel on my car/cars and have applied my coatings - Fictech, Carpro UK and Kamikaze Miyabi and all have lasted for a few years - with proper care and maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing really sticks to PPF as a topper for long = long/longevity. Because of that, some brands have marketed/made a specific PPF Coating to address for this.
    However, back the OP, I`m got some shops quoting in addition to the PPF job, a topper. Some of these toppers are -the platinum- models, aka you can only get installed by certified/authorized installer of a select region.
    Aka, big $$$ topper.

Eh, maybe it`s my opinion.....just got threw me off that when toppers are being offered. Sure. it does feel great initially like any topper. Even a $15 spray QD will do that.
    But offering a $1K+ topper job for something that won`t last as long (due to medium being applied), just doesn`t make sense

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of years experience with back when it was called clear bra, now, ppf, and have never seen anything adhere for long because it is still plastic..

Have not done the research on these new toppers/whatever/etc., but until Anyone shows verified testing results, if there are even Any tests that are verifiable today, and then years of positive durability results, then nothing has probably changed, right?

I think it still comes down to the magic of various forms of silicone oil, etc.., whatever it is or they call it... Which is fine if that is what you want, etc...

And yes, the $15 Spray QD is much easier to deal with than some - whatever - topper, and then what IS that "maintenance" plan for it??? Come in every 6 months, etc., to get another "rejuvenator" to keep it going??? Oh, the rabbit hole is - endless -...

So lovely if you have the time and $$$ to keep going...
    Dan F
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Nothing really sticks to PPF as a topper for long = long/longevity. Because of that, some brands have marketed/made a specific PPF Coating to address for this.
    However, back the OP, I`m got some shops quoting in addition to the PPF job, a topper. Some of these toppers are -the platinum- models, aka you can only get installed by certified/authorized installer of a select region.
    Aka, big $$$ topper.

Eh, maybe it`s my opinion.....just got threw me off that when toppers are being offered. Sure. it does feel great initially like any topper. Even a $15 spray QD will do that.
    But offering a $1K+ topper job for something that won`t last as long (due to medium being applied), just doesn`t make sense

can polish angel be used on top a PPF?

Post Thanks / Like

Tim - Most can top PPF. It just won`t stick/last as long as if it was on -paint-. Just due to the nature of the medium being applied on. I see *alot* of pro shops pitching ceramic topper ontop of a PPF job than runs 7-8K alone. Adding the extra ceramic is not value added as it won`t last nearly as long as if it was on paint. Hence, I alluded saying a $15 spray wax will be just the same as that $1000 ceramic topic in experience and ROI on PPF....

Post Thanks / Like

Follow questions. Has anyone used any of the ceramic coatings that claim to be made for PPF? And if so, what about the rest of the car that doesn`t have PPF applied, and you are using a typical coating designed for paint? I`m going to mention again, that I had PPF on my 2017Audi Allroad and topped it with Miyabi and Zipang and I used it over the entire car and with maintenance (generally, Overcoat) was still beading well enough for at least 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Xpel sells Ceramic Boost. Google it.

Thread Information