Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I wrong in NOT wanting to use a drying aid?

Last summer I bought a dedicated drying towel for the Camaro, I`m suffering from CRS (Can`t Remember Stuff), but I`m pretty sure it`s a Griot`s PFM. The thing is AWESOME!!!

I know my older MF towels ended up "ruined" for drying due to using them with waxes and sealants since they became contaminated with it and I don`t want this to happen to my new GREAT PFM. So for this reason, I`m not using the Hybrid Solutions Wet Wax anymore. Am I wrong?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I wrong in NOT wanting to use a drying aid?

A PFM towel eliminates the need for a drying aid IME. I just used mine today. Everything came out perfectly fine
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    A PFM towel eliminates the need for a drying aid IME. I just used mine today. Everything came out perfectly fine
    I thought the same thing. With either the Hybrid Solutions Ceramic or Graphene, there isn`t much water left on the car after rinsing and since I only use the weight of the towel when drying, I don`t leave any micro marring.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t see why you would need it with a good drying towel. I love mine, they are SUPER absorbent!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

People have washed and dried their cars for years and never used drying aids. Drying aids have just gotten popular in the last handful of years. So we really don’t need them. With that being said I never used one so I would like to try one. I would probably try bead maker or the obsessed garage drying aid from Matt Moreman.

Post Thanks / Like

People have washed and dried their cars for years and never used drying aids. Drying aids have just gotten popular in the last handful of years. So we really don’t need them. With that being said I never used one so I would like to try one. I would probably try bead maker or the obsessed garage drying aid from Matt Moreman.

Post Thanks / Like

I use drying aids all through the winter to boost the protection, usually D156, Aquawax or Griot`s 3 in 1. After reading comments here and at AG about the use of an aid compromising drying towels, I don`t use any of my PFM`s or other premium drying towels when using one. However, I`ve found that a drying aid helps enough that I don`t really need a dedicated drying towel.
    I`ll do one pass with one plush MF, such as an Eagle Edgeless or similar, wringing it out as I go, just to break up and spread the larger accumulations of water. Since I`m doing mostly rinseless washes, a sheeting rinse is not part of the process. After fogging on my drying aid of choice, two more plush MF`s is usually all it takes for a midsize car, and my DD is black. Obviously, the additional drying step slows the process down a bit, but all my drying towels are as absorbent as new.

Bill
    Likes Don liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Last summer I bought a dedicated drying towel for the Camaro, I`m suffering from CRS (Can`t Remember Stuff), but I`m pretty sure it`s a Griot`s PFM. The thing is AWESOME!!!

I know my older MF towels ended up "ruined" for drying due to using them with waxes and sealants since they became contaminated with it and I don`t want this to happen to my new GREAT PFM. So for this reason, I`m not using the Hybrid Solutions Wet Wax anymore. Am I wrong?
    Hi, Amigo Don !
    Hope you guys are all doing great !
    I have found that washing all my microfibers in a dedicated microfiber soap AND adding Distilled White Vinegar, will usually get everything out of them, except if perhaps something like oil, grease, etc., accidently got on them...
    The Distilled White Vinegar over 15 years now, has never hurt or damaged anything I used it on, and the microfibers always come out all like new again, and very absorbent...
    It also really works great on all cotton towels...
    I just add a few ounces in with the wash soap, and let it go...

Dan F
    Likes SGM2008 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no right or wrong, do whatever makes you feel good and avoids scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use TW Wet Wax as a drying aid before getting the PFM towel. Now that I use the PFM, drying is super easy and with a few coats of HS Ceramic or Graphene, there isn`t much water left on the car and what is there is tightly beaded up. Which seems to be perfect fodder for the PFM. By the time I`m done drying the Camaro, the (I think mid-sized) PFM is only moderately damp, with most of the water being on the horizontal surfaces, the sides are nearly dry by the time I get to them.

With the other towel(s) I would have to stop after each drying swipe to wring them out and the water still on the car would start to air/sun dry before I could get to it and using the Wet Wax helped prevent water spots. With the PFM, I can dry the whole car and still not have to wring the towel out-it holds that much water!

But I still just like the idea of adding a little something after each wash, without having to add another full-blown application of Ceramic or Graphene. Maybe I could just go over the car with the 3 in 1 Ceramic Detailer after each wash...
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    There is no right or wrong, do whatever makes you feel good and avoids scratches.
    I was just thinking that myself

While I almost always use a Drying Aid, if you don`t want it, then OK, don`t use one.

I am a little surprised that they [mess] up people`s Drying MFs though...I`ve been using `em at most every wash, and my Dry Me Crazy towels still work fine. But OK, that`s just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I was just thinking that myself

While I almost always use a Drying Aid, if you don`t want it, then OK, don`t use one.

I am a little surprised that they [mess] up people`s Drying MFs though...I`ve been using `em at most every wash, and my Dry Me Crazy towels still work fine. But OK, that`s just me.
    I’m with you. I use Glassparency Boost and haven’t yet noticed any issues with the PFM towels. Tried Polish Angel High Gloss as a drying aid and didn’t really care for it so won’t waste that expensive product as a drying aid.

Post Thanks / Like

I have become a consistent drying aid person thanks to Yvan. I wash exclusively rinseless which kind of kills both birds with one stone. Sometimes, I will add in Opti Seal or something of the like to aid in the post-wash "pop." But like Yvan says, I think of it more as a drying lubricant as opposed to an aid. The Griot`s drying towel literally changed my life and it is made even better with the use of rinseless as the drying lube, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to stop using WW or FW as a drying aid. Just keep some cheaper dedicated drying towels for this purpose. Or wash your drying towels after each use. The benefits for me far outweigh the destroying of towels.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I wash my towels after every use and so far no issues. I have no problem with those who fear messing up a very expensive towel though.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information