Thread: New Car Leather

Post Thanks / Like

New Car Leather

Memorial Day sales about...I`m sure there will be one for Dad`s day

What are you guys doing with your leather regimen..
    I did -coat- one that had Ivory seats and there was a night and day difference in jean dye cleaned. It, however, did change the texture/sheen of it.....which you sorta forget, given the benefits on the cleaning.

I`ve done the whole Leatherique, Leather Masters Rabbit Hole....but these days it`s just plain Jane H20.

Taking delivery of new car next month. Don`t plan to even coat it - if/and or until I see the jean dye issue. I know -many- may disagree on just H20 but that`s how I roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Car Leather

I like Pinnacle Vinyl and Leather Coating. I didn’t notice a sheen difference, just a slight darkening of the leather on the last new vehicle I used it on. Mike (The Guz) is a strong proponent of ColourLock for protecting leather so that is the other one I’d consider if I didn’t already have a couple bottles of Pinnacle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post

What are you guys doing with your leather regimen..
    I did -coat- one that had Ivory seats and there was a night and day difference in jean dye cleaned. It, however, did change the texture/sheen of it.....which you sorta forget, given the benefits on the cleaning.

I`ve done the whole Leatherique, Leather Masters Rabbit Hole....but these days it`s just plain Jane H20.

Taking delivery of new car next month. Don`t plan to even coat it - if/and or until I see the jean dye issue. I know -many- may disagree on just H20 but that`s how I roll.
    Your seats are already coated, so H20 is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

New car=new leather...
    I`ve been doing H20 even before coating.
    Debating I suppose to see what others are doing in 2022..

Post Thanks / Like

Where can you buy this Jane H2O, and is there a coupon code?

Ha ha. A flavor-of-the-month club josh.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

MEM22 is the code. 40%
    Expires tonight ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

I keep both the ColourLock and Leatherique systems in my cabinet. I rarely use the Leatherique anymore though.

I would NEVER ceramic coat leather as a) the coating can never be removed, and b) the leather will dry out underneath the coating and you will have no way to condition it.

Post Thanks / Like

Most modern leather is color coated....aka, conditioning it does not happen regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather paint is breathable, ceramic coatings are not. This is a common misconception that modern leather can`t be conditioned. PSA: All real leather (eg. not vegan leather or pleather) can be be conditioned.

Post Thanks / Like

But most leather in cars isn`t real so wouldn`t most cars NOT have leather that can be conditioned? I`d assume only (more expensive) luxury cars would have leather that can be conditioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Put a drop of water on it. Does it bead or or do it absorb....

Just keeping it clean, is the best care IMO one can treat you seats.
    Probably not going to coat them....just because I don`t want to change the color by .005%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    But most leather in cars isn`t real so wouldn`t most cars NOT have leather that can be conditioned? I`d assume only (more expensive) luxury cars would have leather that can be conditioned.
    Obviously if a car isn’t advertised as having a leather interior it won’t have any real leather. But in more attainable cars that have leathers interiors, it is often only the touch points that are leather ie. armrest, front of seats, steering wheels, etc. One way to tell is to take one finger, apply light pressure, and run your finger down the substrait to see if the grain follows your finger, if it does than it is likely real leather. This method is not fool-proof because modern vinyl is very good at imitating the real stuff. You can also pinch the material (being gentle of course) to see if it makes a sharp fold, if it does than it is vinyl (vinyl is thinner than leather), if the fold is more rounded, it is real leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Put a drop of water on it. Does it bead or or do it absorb....

Just keeping it clean, is the best care IMO one can treat you seats.
    Probably not going to coat them....just because I don`t want to change the color by .005%
    When leather is brand new or within three years of age, conditioning it doesn’t have a major benefit because the leather isn’t as breathable as the clear coat is still fresh. As the clear coat wears from sun and friction, it will become more permeable and you will need to condition it.

You’re correct in that keeping leather clean is the most important aspect of care with conditioning a close second.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

New leather should just need occasional cleaning with something like Zaino Z9 which contains mink oil. Leather Honey makes a nice leather conditioner for older leather but it`s a bit sticky so I`d follow it with a cleaner after allowing it to soak in over night.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t look at like I’m cleaning or protecting the leather. I’m cleaning protecting the coating like clearcoat.

It is after all a coating, that see’s high friction. You should take care of it is it can wear/fade/crack.

It is not a Star Wars level energy field that would deflect photon torpedoes like some of the guys who don’t think you should use cleaners and protectants make it seem.

If your not gonna have it past 5 years don’t care how you leave it for the next person don’t worry about it.

Modern leather products are designed to work with the coating not the leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information