Post Thanks / Like

TINT - for those that live in souther states

IMO for me, a heat soaked car is a heat soaked car...
    Modern cars already protect from UV....
    I never understood those who put the windshield protectors up.

Anyhow, taking delivery of a new car.
    Usual fronts, rears and back tinted ...

I have been thinking about getting the sunroof and windshield tinted.
    Never have...
    forget those YouTube videos....who here in Autopia notices a difference when driving with a tinted windshield.
    Does it keep the need to have the AC blower on full tilt boogey due to the *heat rejection* of having a tinted windshield.

Granted, some of my previous cars use to have the *IR* film on the windshield already and when coming back to a heat soaked car...AC generally is on full tilt boogey the whole ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TINT - for those that live in souther states

I absolutely notice a huge difference in ceramic heat-rejecting tint (3M Crystalline). Either before I got it on my car or when I drive a car without it. Heat-rejecting tint will absolutely be one of the first upgrades in any new car of mine.

You asked for details. I notice when I roll down the window at a drive-thru and am hit by heat and then it goes away as soon as I roll the window up again. I also notice a difference when driving my dad’s truck when the sun comes through the windshield and heats up my leg or arm.

Post Thanks / Like

I never understood those who put the windshield protectors up.
    I don`t know what a windshield protector is. Are you talking about the reflective heat shield stretched out inside the windshield to protect the dash?

Post Thanks / Like

I never looked at those reflective sun shades as dash protectors..I dunno. IMO, if you`re parking somewhere on a hot sunny day, reflective protectors to me make no sense since the entire chassis is heat soaked. Never have used on but who knows...maybe there is a difference

I dunno...when you read manuf. #s, specs, it sure does imply that there is a heat rejection going on...
    And or which I am thinking, which is the AC won`t be on full tilt boogey.
    I`ve have had Huper, Suntek, F1, etc. I just have never done the windshield...

BTW, for those that have done windshield, how do you deal with stickers - whether yearly, etc

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I use really good windshield protectors because I don`t want the sun shining on the dashboard, etc., of the car... .

Yes, the car will be hot, but how much heat is coming in from the roof, the back window, etc, the side windows, etc., anyway???

I never thought that this would reject enough heat to make a difference from all the rest of the heat coming in the vehicle from everywhere else..

It is just there to keep the sun off the dash, etc...
    Dan F

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    I don`t know what a windshield protector is. Are you talking about the reflective heat shield stretched out inside the windshield to protect the dash?
    Amigo !
    Here is the one I buy from -- heatshieldstore.com

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield sun shades really do help. Especially on steering wheel and front seats which can get extremely hot. Here in the deep south (Georgia) ceramic tint is a must. However, windshield tint is illegal here. Except for the top 6inches.

Post Thanks / Like

Dgage - any direct sun is going to obviously feel hotter then indirect though. It was hot and sunny today while out and about . It was a -relief- just getting back to the car without the sun directly on me..

I think I will go with tinting the windshield this time around. I will just need to ask my guy how do people deal with stickers...inspection is yearly, reg is at least 2 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Dgage - any direct sun is going to obviously feel hotter then indirect though. It was hot and sunny today while out and about . It was a -relief- just getting back to the car without the sun directly on me..

I think I will go with tinting the windshield this time around. I will just need to ask my guy how do people deal with stickers...inspection is yearly, reg is at least 2 years
    I’m generally comparing apples to apples. There is a huge difference between a windshield with ceramic tint and without. While driving, when getting in my car in July. Huge difference between the several cars I drive. Helps even more in my wife’s minivan that has a larger windshield. I almost don’t like driving my dad’s (nice) truck because he doesn’t have ceramic tint and I absolutely notice when my arm or leg is getting hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to to bring this full circle....
    Going all on on the new one. Even though the backs/rears are pretty dang dark from factory - it`s more privacy. So all glass is getting it, including windshield and sunroof.
    My guy says he removes the stickers and just puts them back with some sort of static cling....and he will give me extra static -cling- for the yearly inspections..

Thread Information