Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning easily stained black plastic *pics*

I have no idea how or why GM used this type of finish on the hatchback panels on my car.

It appears that the plastic has some etching done to it from water spots and general just stains ?

I included some before and after pics - the after pics is after I tried 303 and carpro Perl on the plastic.

*I attempted to clean the plastic first with diluted iso but it made the spots turn white so I got scared of thinking I’ll ruin the whole panel* ? I hope I I didn’t ?!

I’m not sure what to do beside keep
    Coating it with 303 and Perl? As I was making passes with Perl and 303 my white mf kept having brown residue on it.

After.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning easily stained black plastic *pics*

I`ve had success cleaning faded plastics with Meg`s #39 and finishing with Perl 1:3, 303, or a ceramic coating

Post Thanks / Like

Has it been painted with an interior plastic paint? I would try a interior cleaner like P&S express or griots interior cleaner.

I like the recommendation of coating it as it will last longer than 303 or Perl. If it looks good with either I’m thinking will have it looking good.

Do a test spot on somewhere inconspicuous and if you don’t like it I would look into interior plastic paints.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it has been painted.

The car has 8,000 miles and it’s a 2007.

I would imagine it is all original.

What coatings are you guys referring to ?

Post Thanks / Like

That is just the nature of that area if it is not cared for. I would give Meguiar`s M39 a try and see if that helps and then keep it dressed. You could coat it if you like.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    That is just the nature of that area if it is not cared for. I would give Meguiar`s M39 a try and see if that helps and then keep it dressed. You could coat it if you like.
    Makes sense. Not too many people pay attention to the underside of a hatch lol. Right now it’s just sitting there with the Perl and 303 on it.

I’m just scared if I destroyed it with the alcohol wipe down (diluted 10:1)

Post Thanks / Like

My uncles C5 and my brothers ex had the same issue. I coated one of them with DLUX but I could not remember which one.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

How did it hold up ?

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner

Might make it look better. And bring back the look. I would try a small area first and observe the results...

You would have to mask off, but this may also do the trick...

Chemical Guys Black on Black

A deep cleaning would be done by the following. Read it`s one of the best plastic cleaners.

Nextzett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger - 500 ml
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll try the megs cleaner for sure as I do like their stuff. My main concern was if the diluted iso caused any damage

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t imagine even straight IPA would do anything (damage-wise) to that plastic. The problem with "water spots" like that is that you don`t really know what it is. For instance, if that`s hard wash/rinse water that`s dried on there and is effectively a hard water spot, water or IPA won`t do anything to remove that. You could use something slightly abrasive, but then you risk changing the gloss in that particular area. Something like KAIO, which Accumulator likes to refer to as "functionally non-abrasive" would probably work well, but again, you might have to do the whole panel to get a uniform appearance.

But it might be spots from something else. If you using KAIO or the Meg`s #39 you`d probably want to do the whole piece anyway, maybe you`ll be able to get that mark off from the hatch seal. Put some 303 or Gummi Pfledge on the seal so it sticks/transfers less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I can`t imagine even straight IPA would do anything (damage-wise) to that plastic. The problem with "water spots" like that is that you don`t really know what it is. For instance, if that`s hard wash/rinse water that`s dried on there and is effectively a hard water spot, water or IPA won`t do anything to remove that. You could use something slightly abrasive, but then you risk changing the gloss in that particular area. Something like KAIO, which Accumulator likes to refer to as "functionally non-abrasive" would probably work well, but again, you might have to do the whole panel to get a uniform appearance.

But it might be spots from something else. If you using KAIO or the Meg`s #39 you`d probably want to do the whole piece anyway, maybe you`ll be able to get that mark off from the hatch seal. Put some 303 or Gummi Pfledge on the seal so it sticks/transfers less.
    Does m39 stain or discolour plastic ? I would guess it doesn’t seeing as it’s made specifically for this purpose ?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you clean off the back seal residue from the plastic hatch? I would think that cleaner like Optimum`s Power Clean diluted 3:1 would work well.

I am of the opinion that the quality of GM`s plastic is to blame here. I have had "problems" with streaking of Aerospace 303 on such GM plastic, especially dark grey or black. Or maybe it is just me. I just live with it and tell the owners of such GM vehicles that`s just the way it is. The fact that this occurred on more than one GM vehicle is not coincidental.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Can you clean off the back seal residue from the plastic hatch? I would think that cleaner like Optimum`s Power Clean diluted 3:1 would work well.

I am of the opinion that the quality of GM`s plastic is to blame here. I have had "problems" with streaking of Aerospace 303 on such GM plastic, especially dark grey or black. Or maybe it is just me. I just live with it and tell the owners of such GM vehicles that`s just the way it is. The fact that this occurred on more than one GM vehicle is not coincidental.
    I ordered some m39 and we shall see.

Post Thanks / Like

On a related subject, I`ve seen older vehicles with higher mileage where the door jams/sill lower and sometimes upper paint is scratched or even worn from the the constant closing-and-opening of such vehicles doors because either the door sill itself is not cleaned of dirt and debris, like that of those that use automated car tunnel washes OR the seal has not been cleaned on a "regular" basis. It also can signify poor-fitting doors or seals and the constant driven-vehicle vibration will cause these areas to wear thin as well AND/OR the seal itself is worn thin or through in such areas.

I say that because I hear vehicle owners tell me that they take their vehicle through the automated car wash on a regular basis, and while they do look good, the door jam/sill areas never get cleaned properly or completely, as a 2-bucket wash can do IF the detailer/owner opens the doors and rear trunk/hatch to clean those areas.
    I am surprised at how much dirt and debris (lawn and leaf litter and pine needles and small sticks) can accumulate in the seams and folds of door and trunk/hatch seals. A heavy-duty blue shop paper toweling soaked with a little APC will clean those areas along with cotton swabs (Q-Tips) to get deep into those seal seams, channels, and folds and old, soft-bristled tooth brushes for cleaning fluted accordion-like bellows of electrical wiring connector seals. I like using heavy-duty blue shop paper toweling because of the blackness from the dead, oxidized rubber that comes off from such clean and this cleaning media can then be discarded as garbage when done, but older microfibers or cotton clothes/rags that you do not mind getting stained in such a way can be used as well. Then a little Aerospace 303 Protectant on said blue shop paper toweling and cotton swabs and old tooth brushes to dress and protect them finishes this detailing task to perfection.
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information